Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    B2920 TLB, ZD21-60P, 1949 US Baird Beaver

Default Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!!

I just thought I would share something that I think worked really well for me. I knew well ahead of time I was going to be frustrated this winter plowing my newly installed stone driveway so I began to look at ways to mitigate the effect the cutting edge on my rear blade had on the gravel surface. Someone in the past posted how well ABS (not PVC) pipe worked when fitted to the blade edge. Sounded like it would work and purchased a 10 foot length of 2 inch for $20. I gave it a shot (well two shots). After the first storm of the year (12 inches) it worked like a charm....well almost until right at the end of the plowing the stone wore it down to the point it just cracked. I replaced with the second piece and it too showed major wear so it was evident this ABS pipe route was not going to work.

I then remembered someone here stated how well Horse Stall Mat worked as a blade edge (Tractor Supply 4'x6' mat - $39). So I run out and picked up a mat, cut a strip and bolted it on. The next storm (18 inches) it worked like a charm - actually pushed the majority of snow with almost no ill effect to the stone (which is small pea like gravel).

So, I now have an awesome snow blade for gravel, it wears like iron (after plowing showed no wear) and I can use the remainder as a nice foot mat in front of my work bench until I need to make another - hey I have enough to make 4 more!!!

Cheers,

~jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscn1829-jpg   -dscn1830-jpg   -dscn1834-jpg   -dscn1836-jpg   -dscn1838-jpg  

-dscn1839-jpg   -dscn1843-jpg   -dscn1846-jpg   -dscn1847-jpg   -dscn1848-jpg  

B2920 TLB, Thumb, 48" Box Blade, 48" Bush-Hog, 48" Culivator and Hiller, 15" Potato Plow, 60" Blade, 60" Landscape Rake, 50 Inch EA Wicked Compact Tractor Grapple, Curtis Soft Cab, 48" Tooth-bar, 3pt Trailer Hitch, Z21-60P

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Default Re: Snow Plowing a Gravel Drive - Problem Solved!!!

Yup..I've been doing the same thing with machine belts for years..Works great for aggregate driveways.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Would this work just as well on a smaller BX2360? I have a similar drive, and the tractor is new to me but I know it doesn't have the 1/4 inching on the 3 point hitch.
    2010 BX2360
    54" MMM, 5' TW rear blade
    5' TW rake
    4' Frontier Box Blade

Male Red Fox Labrador Retriever
    1963 McIntosh Tube Amp w/1959 Citation I Preamp
    Bozak B302A Speakers

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by snpower View Post
    Would this work just as well on a smaller BX2360? I have a similar drive, and the tractor is new to me but I know it doesn't have the 1/4 inching on the 3 point hitch.
    Forget 1/4 inch'ing - as you can see I have 3 inches of the mat expoused below the cutting edge - all I do is drop the blade until it just hits the surface although I can drop it down furthur if I need more down pressure on the surface in one of the pics you will see it smashed on the ground and even under this condition the blade floated over the stone. I acually have more control like this than 1/4 inching. It would work just find with your 2360.
    Last edited by jambx; 01-18-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    B2920 TLB, Thumb, 48" Box Blade, 48" Bush-Hog, 48" Culivator and Hiller, 15" Potato Plow, 60" Blade, 60" Landscape Rake, 50 Inch EA Wicked Compact Tractor Grapple, Curtis Soft Cab, 48" Tooth-bar, 3pt Trailer Hitch, Z21-60P

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3710 GST

Awesome idea!
    Think I'm going to steal it....
    "04 Kubota Grand L3710 GST 4WD R4's
    Kubota LA682 loader w/ teefers, Woods BB600 cutter, Woods HD 72" blade, TSC rake, Danuser PH digger w/9" & 12", Kelly 3pt log splitter (modified to QT on excavator boom) & 72" box blade
    "06 Bobcat 442 excavator w/ hydro thumb (9 ton machine)
    "11 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 dually 6.7 Cummins
    30' 21k Appalachian Tri Goose to haul it all...

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7610HSD

do you think it would work on a front mounted plow blade? I was going to go order some special UHMW pipe to put on the blades cutting edge ( Graingers $56/10' section). I tried the pipe last storm ( 22" ) but the cold shattered it. It did work awesome up to that point.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by NHbotanut View Post
    do you think it would work on a front mounted plow blade? I was going to go order some special UHMW pipe to put on the blades cutting edge ( Graingers $56/10' section). I tried the pipe last storm ( 22" ) but the cold shattered it. It did work awesome up to that point.
    I am personally done with plastic pipe and anything to do with plowing. The stall mat material is very robust and resilient so I would assume it would work quite well when attached to a front blade lip - I would assume the cutting edge of the plow is bolted like a rear blade so it should be a easy install.
    Last edited by jambx; 01-19-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3710 GST

I'm going to try it on a front blade. A Meyer 8' converted truck plow, but I'm going to use a piece of old quarry conveyor belt I have. Hopefully it won't be too stiff and will be able to flex over.
    "04 Kubota Grand L3710 GST 4WD R4's
    Kubota LA682 loader w/ teefers, Woods BB600 cutter, Woods HD 72" blade, TSC rake, Danuser PH digger w/9" & 12", Kelly 3pt log splitter (modified to QT on excavator boom) & 72" box blade
    "06 Bobcat 442 excavator w/ hydro thumb (9 ton machine)
    "11 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 dually 6.7 Cummins
    30' 21k Appalachian Tri Goose to haul it all...

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Looking to buy one

Anyone have any ideas out there on what to put on the front of a snow or dirt bucket so when i push the snow into the grass it doesnt dig up the sod? I heard of people bolting a pipe to the bottom of a cutting edge? However i want to get close enough to the gravel driveway so that my wifes car can get in and out without spinning all the way out or sinking in the snow 2-3 inches.

Silver Member

Is there a reason you guys don't use plow skid shoes? Most are adjustable for height and you could probably even fab most of them yourself. The shoes themselves are pretty cheap as replacement parts.

I have them on my ATV blade and they work great for gravel driveways.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast