Front axle oil leak

/ Front axle oil leak #1  

moday

I have tried adding 80/90W oil in the front axle of my 4x4 L3300 Kubota. No luck, still leaking pretty good.

Any idea how big of a job this is?

Do I need the service manual or any special tools? It seems like there is a leaking point within the "cylinder/kingpin" where the wheels allow turning and there is another leak point where a flat flange is where the axle ends. There are 4 bolts at this point.

Any suggestions is appreciated, as I hope to start this project. Where is a good location to purchase a Service Manual too? I'm not sure of the price on that , but I'm not against getting one.

Thanks in advance, MODAY

/ Front axle oil leak #2  
I have tried adding 80/90W oil in the front axle of my 4x4 L3300 Kubota. No luck, still leaking pretty good.

Do I need the service manual or any special tools? It seems like there is a leaking point within the "cylinder/kingpin" where the wheels allow turning and there is another leak point where a flat flange is where the axle ends. There are 4 bolts at this point.

Any suggestions is appreciated, as I hope to start this project. Where is a good location to purchase a Service Manual too? I'm not sure of the price on that , but I'm not against getting one.

Thanks in advance, MODAY

You might try a search. This comes up on a regular basis

/ Front axle oil leak #3  

Thanks in advance, MODAY

I have to do the same thing on my L4200. I currently have 90W140 in there to slow it down as much as possible, but it's still dripping. Odds are it is the bezel seal ("cylinder/kingpin") that is leaking. Dirt sits on top of the flat area around the seal and grinds into the seal - bad design if you ask me. Oil weeps onto the flat flange area and makes it look like it is leaking, but it probably isn't. I think that the flange is o-ring sealed, but I'm not entirely sure.

Apparently, most of the stuff in the bezel is held in place by snap rings, and everyone who has done the job recommends a "good" pair of snap ring pliers. The rest looks fairly straightforward. There are a few good step-by-step posts on the procedure. If memory serves, it takes an hour or two to replace the seal.

Edit: Found it:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...302-need-help-w-kubota-l3710.html#post1418769

JayC

/ Front axle oil leak #4  
This probably will not solve your problem...but my L3430 had a slow front axle leak on the left. I found a small bolt at the bottom of the axle loose. After tightening, I have not seen a drop. Worth a try before taking the axle apart. Good luck!

/ Front axle oil leak #5  
Yes this is a fairly simple job. I have done this on 2 of my kubota tractors l3450 and l35 tlb. It takes about an hr or so, I used a short piece of 2x4 against the new seal and tapped it in with a hammer,you will need a good large snapring plyers. Both tractors had over 1400hrs on just make sure you wash this area well after playing/working in the mud!:thumbsup:

/ Front axle oil leak #6  
"you will need a good large snapring plyers."
Why are all these (Front Axle oil leak) threads getting moldy, out dated, and dusty, I opened up one L series front axle thread and a couple moths flew out. Obviously, this is a clear case of what happens when not enough tractor front ends are not breaking down, or maybe everybody is going to the dealer to get things fixed. The end result is no pictures of people tarring stuff apart.

Sooner or later I'll have to fix the seals on my L3400, both sides are weeping and sometimes seeping, but don't know if that would be considered leaking.
By reading some of these old crusty threaded, it appears the only semi special tools required is a large pair of snap-ring pliers, and an optional pickle fork, is that for dill or bread&butter. Now if someone else would like to help get some dust off this thread, what is considered large snap-ring pliers? the'r are hundreds of snap pliers to pick from.

/ Front axle oil leak #7  
I change my front end fluid couple week's ago after 400 hr. of use, drain out the 80/90 and replaced it with 85/140 Mobile, and added some ATP AT-205 Re-Seal, 8 Ounce, the leaking seamed to of slowed down on the front spindle of being wet-ish. I'll keep checking it to see if it gets worse or fixed.

The stuff that came out has the look of a metallic sheen in it, sitting in cans now, in a month or so I'll empty them and see what's on bottom, could be gold.

/ Front axle oil leak #8  
My guess the spindle bearings are going bad if you have judging by your "metal sheen" comment. As the bearings go bad, the hub/spindle doesn't stay centered causing the lip seal to leak.

If the is any presence of very very fine metal in the oil if disassemble for at least inspection. Bearings are resolutely cheap. If others parts break, they are not. Fixed a couple of front wheel axles already with similar oil leaks issues.

Good luck an let us know what you find.

/ Front axle oil leak #9  
"you will need a good large snapring plyers."
Why are all these (Front Axle oil leak) threads getting moldy, out dated, and dusty, I opened up one L series front axle thread and a couple moths flew out. Obviously, this is a clear case of what happens when not enough tractor front ends are not breaking down, or maybe everybody is going to the dealer to get things fixed. The end result is no pictures of people tarring stuff apart.

I think it's more like, "When it gets bad enough, I'll go through the hassle of changing the seal." Mine leaks pretty bad based on the oil spots under the tractor, but every time I check the oil level in the axle, it's fine. I think I had to add oil twice in 3-4 years. That's not bad enough to take anything apart, IMHO. :)

/ Front axle oil leak #10  
My guess the spindle bearings are going bad if you have judging by your "metal sheen" comment. As the bearings go bad, the hub/spindle doesn't stay centered causing the lip seal to leak.

If the is any presence of very very fine metal in the oil if disassemble for at least inspection. Bearings are resolutely cheap. If others parts break, they are not. Fixed a couple of front wheel axles already with similar oil leaks issues.

Good luck an let us know what you find.

I thought if the bearings were getting bad, I should be able to feel some movement on the tire when I jack the front end up. I'll look at that oil I drain out tomorrow and see what settle to the bottom, two weeks should of been long enough for sheen stuff to settle.