Quick Hitch may have caused my Tiller problem

/ Quick Hitch may have caused my Tiller problem #1  

JOHNTHOMAS

Tractor
F2690 4WD RTV X1140 MX5400 HST ZD1211
Had a thread running about Kubota tiller quit tilling. Found my problem and fixed it. Doing this new one more for the Quick Hitch info than the repaired tiller info.
I've purchased three types of Quick Hitches and I'm a believer in QHs for the lone tractor operater that has rear attached implements.
My first QH was Pats and they were great and expensive. Only issue was extending the location of the implement several inches further back on the tractor which required a longer upper arm on one tractor. Bought longer upper arm at TSC for $20 after JD told me $75 or $90. The implement did not have a drive shaft so later I bought an implement with a drive shaft. Drive shaft on implement was to short with the Pats installed. Bought another set of QHs for under $100 on ebay that are cast steel (i think) instead of plate steel like Pats. Then I bought another set of QHs off ebay for under $100 that lets the implement ride over or under the arm. These are the ones I use most of the time and especially with my tiller since the shaft is so short.
Now the tiller issue with QHs I use. The QH that lets the implement sit on top or under the arm thus keeping the distance from tractor the same as with no QH thus being able to use the original drive shaft is a bit sloppy. The tiller can move back and forth a few inches with the top riding QH. No problem when not using the tiller. When using the tiller there can be harsh jerking when big stones are hit and I believe this jerking pulled the spline out of the tiller gear box after breaking the retaining ring which seems to small and puny to hold any thing but it quite obviously does with proper use. Thinking my QHs do not constitute proper use.
This is all free advise so take it for what it's worth which may not be much.:) Just my mind trying to find a reason for breakage other than poor manufacturing. My tiller has been used for several years with no breakage up to this point. I think I did it.
I had tilled last year and this year with this same set up with no problems but I tilled some new ground that had a bunch of big rocks that was beating my tiller bad when this happened. I kept thinking that I had finally hit the last big rock every time I hit another one. Guess I'm the only one thats ever done that. Doubt the problem would have shown its self with smooth garden tilling but alas a big rock can drop from the sky or come up through the depths of the earth to grab an unwary tiller.:D
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/206542-kubota-tiller-quit-tilling.html

Attachments

• P1050277.jpg
    P1050277.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 996
  • P1050589.jpg
    P1050589.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 1,067
  • P1060635.jpg
    P1060635.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 452
  • P1060671.jpg
    P1060671.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 505
   / Quick Hitch may have caused my Tiller problem #2  
I also use Pat's QH and have been tilling an area that used to be a gravel pit. Aside from needing to buy a longer top link I have seen no problems with any of my implements and/or pto shafts. I'm amazed at the abuse the tiller takes between jumping around and chopping through rocks. I always expect the tines to look like my mower blades but they never seem to get as much as a nick in them. I imagine one of these days it'll go out in a blaze o glory!

/ Quick Hitch may have caused my Tiller problem #3  
Hello JohnThomas,

I dont want to spend your money,

but would you be better off with

the right lower link that cranks out

if its available for your beast of

burden? It would stop all the issues

with slip sliding away with the P.T.O.,

shaft and the tiller would always be true

within the center line of the tractors

P.T.O., stub.:thumbsup:

/ Quick Hitch may have caused my Tiller problem
Hello JohnThomas,

I dont want to spend your money,

but would you be better off with

the right lower link that cranks out

if its available for your beast of

burden? It would stop all the issues

with slip sliding away with the P.T.O.,

shaft and the tiller would always be true

within the center line of the tractors

P.T.O., stub.:thumbsup:
No. I don't think so.

/ Quick Hitch may have caused my Tiller problem #5  
Hi John Thomas. I hope you are well. I appreciate the exposure you have offered us on quick hitches. I gave them a try, but I failed.

Everyone brags on Pat's, but my building is not deep enough to have his QH, and my FEL on, and still close the door.

So I bought the ones that would make the implement higher, but not closer or further away. There was nothing wrong with them, but lots of my stuff just wouldn't work with anything, so I felt really silly. My BX is cat 1 narrow, and my full CAT 1 stuff has the pins turned in, and in many cases, the QH cannot clear what is there.

Anyway, it matters little, but I think you QH situation likely did not cause the tiller issue. It could be as simple as them putting that snap ring on backwards. Lots of folks don't know that snap rings have a preferred side for the groove to oppose force best. One side is smooth, and that goes against the part you wish to retain, and the other side is sharp, and many forget that that sharpness helps to catch the groove, and resist being displaced.