BX25 Winch

/ BX25 Winch
snip
You mentioned water heaters...

I bought a couple brand new in the box old style for $99 each yesterday... can't believe what the new ones cost...

I used to use Hoyt all the time when the plant was in Oakland... now, my favorite heater is Bradford White for residential.

The only heater I will install is Bradford White. I turn down Home Center heater installs where the buyer buys that junk...not worth the call backs..
The plumbing parts pricing is ridiculous. Yesterday, at my cost, a 40 gallon, 30" shed, 2-SS flexes x 18", gas flex and cock x 18", 24" 1/2" gal nipple, misc 1/2" 90's and nipples, 3/4" IPS ball valve, 10' 3" vent pipe, 4-adj 45's, stand off bracket, EQ strap and a few other things, my cost, just under 1K...NUTZ! MY COST!

...and BW is simply the lesser of all the evils! It is called planned obsellance, make it last just to end of manufacturers warrantuy then they leak...believe it, get over it....ain't gonna change anytime soon.

WAIT! Did i just hyjack my own thread? HA! Sorry!

/ BX25 Winch #22  
Got a portable with one of this attachment things that go over a trailer ball, pulls 2k,,,but straps, and snatch locks make it unlimited,,,,,keep it in a backpack, so I can use whenever/ where ever

/ BX25 Winch
Got a portable with one of this attachment things that go over a trailer ball, pulls 2k,,,but straps, and snatch locks make it unlimited,,,,,keep it in a backpack, so I can use whenever/ where ever

Thanx Jake, Take some pics maybe? :thumbsup:

/ BX25 Winch #25  
The winch is a Venom 5000# pull

later

/ BX25 Winch

Not bad! I had not thought of adding a battery and I'm sure, now that I think of it, it is needed. What exactly is the "tech talk" re existing power and what is needed for a winch may I ask?

I did read in the manual that not more than 120 watts is available at the 12V accessory plug ( just enough for a 12V Heated Gerbings Jacket Liner and Pant!

Nice job my friend! I had envision a lil diffent winch bot up, time will tell. Right now I am tearing into things in the back 40 I have been wanting to do for years...

/ BX25 Winch
Thank You Cal1. in retrospec I remember seeing thois device and had forgotten about it. I am still having fun w/ the bare bones BX25 but eventually I will start the customization(s)

/ BX25 Winch #28  
Here's my winch solution. I use it to pull logs/trees out of places I can't get close to.

First I put a Reese mount on the draw bar, and added an 8" extension to it.

CIMG2610.JPG

Then I made a box to hold my deep cycle battery.
CIMG2611.JPGCIMG2612.JPGCIMG2613.JPG

Add the battery and I've got a system independent of the tractors electrical.
CIMG2614.JPG

:thumbsup:

/ BX25 Winch #29  
I had a 12000# winch I used on the trailer hitch of a 1 Ton truck. The middle mount point is vulnerable to twisting under load. Tested the mount 30 degrees around on a less than straight pull. It was stolen from my truck before I got it fixed. I have a new one insurance bought that I may adapt to my smaller truck and my equipment trailer. I have determined to use two receiver tubes in the smaller size, one on each side of the mounting plate. Running cable to the rear of that 1 ton (dollars) convinced me that next time I will use an auxiliary battery (marine type) charged through an isolation system like the RVs have with it mounted on the winch like one of the tractor pictures posted. For my trailer I will install a solar charger for the battery. There is more detail that will be worked out when that project crops up.

Ron

PS: Artisan, you will need to do a custom install of an after market alternator as K does not have a larger one that fits the smaller tractors. I checked awhile back on that. No winch will work with the aux socket, too much amps. You will have to go all the way back to the battery on the new BX with the right size cable and a circuit breaker tha come with the winch.

/ BX25 Winch #30  
I had a 12000# winch I used on the trailer hitch of a 1 Ton truck. The middle mount point is vulnerable to twisting under load. Tested the mount 30 degrees around on a less than straight pull. It was stolen from my truck before I got it fixed. I have a new one insurance bought that I may adapt to my smaller truck and my equipment trailer. I have determined to use two receiver tubes in the smaller size, one on each side of the mounting plate. Running cable to the rear of that 1 ton (dollars) convinced me that next time I will use an auxiliary battery (marine type) charged through an isolation system like the RVs have with it mounted on the winch like one of the tractor pictures posted. For my trailer I will install a solar charger for the battery. There is more detail that will be worked out when that project crops up.

Ron

PS: Artisan, you will need to do a custom install of an after market alternator as K does not have a larger one that fits the smaller tractors. I checked awhile back on that. No winch will work with the aux socket, too much amps. You will have to go all the way back to the battery on the new BX with the right size cable and a circuit breaker tha come with the winch.

Well one "advantage" of this mount on the BX is that the BX is light enough that, IF I'm not hitched straight on, it straightens itself out pretty quick! ;) I use my grapple on the front to either dig into the ground as an anchor or if it's too hard, then I chain the grapple to a tree. I also use a 5 ton snach block if I need to change the direction of the pull.:thumbsup:

Snach block.png

Yes, the BX is not set up to run a winch off it's system so I just put the battery on a trickle charger when not in use. It's a monster battery (250 AH I think) that we used as a backup on a Amateur Radio Emergency Repeater.:)

I use #2 cables for the winch, and even then if you pull too long they get hot!:eek: That's an 4 ton winch on there.