Dirt Moving Launching a boat

/ Launching a boat #1  

shadman

Tractor
Kubota L3400
I put the boat in the water for the first time with my L3400 using the FEL with a ball attached to the top edge of the bucket. The area is fairly shallow and I had the water up to the bottom of the front axle. What would happen if I put the axle in the water. I think I will try to fabricate an extension of about 4 feet that will hook onto the bucket but that will have to be in the months to come. Any suggestion?

/ Launching a boat #2  
What would happen if I put the axle in the water. Any suggestion?

I assume it's fresh water, not salt water. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you don't go in so deep that it goes in the vent tube. If you're going to do this all the time you might switch to marine grease in the wheel bearings, it's used on trailer bearings that go in the ocean.

/ Launching a boat #3  
Drill (or burn) a hole in the base of the bucket and mount the ball there. That should give you a couple of feet of depth relief.

OR:

Your idea to put a 4 foot (or so) extension on a receiver tube mounted on the top of the bucket would also work. Such an extension (2" x 2" square tube) can be purchased at a welding/steel business. Drill a hole sideways for the pin and attach a ball to the other end and you are done.

The bucket can be tilted down to lower the ball to water level and the wheels may not even get wet.

/ Launching a boat #4  
I put the boat in the water for the first time with my L3400 using the FEL with a ball attached to the top edge of the bucket. The area is fairly shallow and I had the water up to the bottom of the front axle. What would happen if I put the axle in the water. I think I will try to fabricate an extension of about 4 feet that will hook onto the bucket but that will have to be in the months to come. Any suggestion?

Do you have forks?
My work had a 6ft straight boom that slid on forklift forks. They connected with a chain so they couldn't slide off.

I also like gwdixon's idea of mounting a sq. reciever to your bucket.

/ Launching a boat #5  
No matter how big your forks are you're never happy. I've had an extension to my forks and really helps satisfy the need for doing bigger tasks. The End result is always the same but getting the job done is where the satisfaction is

/ Launching a boat #6  
The breather tube being submersed is the big worry, especially if the front diff is warm because as the water cools it, it will suck water in the tube as it cools down.
The other problem could be if your seals are worn in your hubs, water will leak in and shorten the life of everything.
If you have good seals and you extend your breather above the water line you won't hurt it.

/ Launching a boat #7  
   / Launching a boat #8  
switch to marine grease in the wheel bearings

The wheel bearings are behind the axle shaft seal and are bathed in oil. They are sealed very well.

The u-joint bearings and axle pivot joint bearings use grease, and may not have water tight seals, I would be concerned about this.

Since your rear axle sits much higher than your front (and no u-joints or axle pivot bearing), have you thought about backing the boat in? I use a 3-point 2" receiver for moving my trailers around.

Philip

/ Launching a boat #9  
The wheel bearings are behind the axle shaft seal and are bathed in oil. They are sealed very well.

The u-joint bearings and axle pivot joint bearings use grease, and may not have water tight seals, I would be concerned about this.

Since your rear axle sits much higher than your front (and no u-joints or axle pivot bearing), have you thought about backing the boat in? I use a 3-point 2" receiver for moving my trailers around.

Philip

x2 on using a 3 point receiver. There are some commercially available extensions available for them too.

/ Launching a boat #10  
I would avoid getting the axle in the water if possible. Should your front axle become submerged regularly you're going to have to and inspections and maintenance to your maintenance schedule. If your axle is up in temperature when it hits the cold water a vacuum or negative pressure can occur in the axle. Your vent tube should accommodate this, but extreme temperature changes are never good, especially when your device is under water. So I would avoid a warm axle in cold water.
It's hard to say without knowing the size of the boat and rate of the slope into the pond but, since you have the capability of the FEL you should be able to push the boat off the trailer easily by raising the tongue of the trailer. Raise the motor up as high as it will go and see if you can't keep the axle dry that way.

Good point, I have fabricated one of these and posted the pics here. Also good for pulling small stumps.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/118622-homemade-drawbar-hitch.html#post1366469