Am I asking too much from my L5740-3?

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #1  

High Compression

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60
I found where my new L5740 is lacking power. I have been putting up field hay, alfalfa, and straw for the past 6 weeks. Things went crazy this year. Went from 90 acres to somewhere around 300. Anyway, I was on my way to my last field to square bale yesterday, baler in tow and bale sweep on the fel. Between the barn and field is about 3 miles and there are a few good size hills. Well... my poor Kubota dropped from 17 mph down to 7 mph! It had to drop into low on the anti-stall mode. :( The tractor does great in the field! Bales like a champ and sweeps up 8 bales at a time with no problem. I love the compact size for getting in tight places between other bales or tree lines etc. In the winter I use it to push snow on smaller lots, store front sidewalks etc. Also very easy to trailer. So size was important on the purchase decision. But now an M is looking pretty good at least for power. Oh what the heck maybe a M135XG.

Honestly I expect the tractor to drop in speed... a little. (1-4 mph) But not 10! Even the JD 7410 (125hp) drops 1-2 mph pulling the round baler on these hills. Guess I could void the warranty by turning it up, adding an intercooler, and a few other minor air and fuel mods, but not sure it's worth it. :confused3:

Oh well thanks for letting me rant a little. :eek:

2012-06-13 20.18.15.jpg2012-06-13 20.18.21.jpg2012-06-13 20.18.47.jpg2012-06-13 20.28.55.jpg2012-06-13 20.29.04.jpg2012-06-13 20.34.45.jpg2012-06-13 20.36.30.jpg

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #2  
What transmission do you have if it is an HST this is what I would expect. I have a L4400HST-1 and it does that on the hills in high range. You have more HP but are also doing more work with that load.

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #3  
What does the baler weigh? I've been amazed with my L5740's power. I've been able to pull my manual dump trailer heaped full of green firewood up hill in high range, and it barely drops rpms. I know I had over 2 ton of wood on the trailer, because the springs were maxed out on the rubber stops. I've hauled over 2- ton of stone on it and still had plenty of spring left. Trailer is about 700# empty, so I know I had on over 4700# with trailer and wood, probably closer to 5500#, and it barely noticed it in high range. Tractor house should give you a good place to start with prices if you wish to sell. I would think low to mid $30's depending on hrs and options.

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #4  
Oops, after looking at your title again, I see you weren't asking about pricing. Wen you meant you were in low range, did you mean you shifted down on the column, and you were still in high for the main range?

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #5  
My M5040 cant even run 17mph,around 15 tops and with the baler5040 and rebel.jpg no way could run flat out up big hill,without having to drop a gear or two.
But the M135gx would solve the problem with 16x16,my neighbors 135x will run around 30+mph and that square baler would feel like it maybe was dragging a chain:laughing:
I turn my a/c off when pulling big hills:D

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #6  
With my L5740 it doest like to run full out in High/High range pulling a 16 ft loaded wagon I either drop to med..high or just slow down.

Interested in your bale sweep??? is that a accumulator/grapple did you DIY or purchase it ?

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3?
What transmission do you have if it is an HST this is what I would expect. I have a L4400HST-1 and it does that on the hills in high range. You have more HP but are also doing more work with that load.
Hydro.

What does the baler weigh? I've been amazed with my L5740's power. I've been able to pull my manual dump trailer heaped full of green firewood up hill in high range, and it barely drops rpms. I know I had over 2 ton of wood on the trailer, because the springs were maxed out on the rubber stops. I've hauled over 2- ton of stone on it and still had plenty of spring left. Trailer is about 700# empty, so I know I had on over 4700# with trailer and wood, probably closer to 5500#, and it barely noticed it in high range. Tractor house should give you a good place to start with prices if you wish to sell. I would think low to mid $30's depending on hrs and options.
I think it's about 3100 lbs.

Oops, after looking at your title again, I see you weren't asking about pricing. Wen you meant you were in low range, did you mean you shifted down on the column, and you were still in high for the main range?
I had the tranny in anti-stall mode in high range. The computer had to drop to the low side in the high range. I was just thinking, "I think I can, I think I can.":laughing:

My M5040 cant even run 17mph,around 15 tops and with the balerView attachment 271307 no way could run flat out up big hill,without having to drop a gear or two.
But the M135gx would solve the problem with 16x16,my neighbors 135x will run around 30+mph and that square baler would feel like it maybe was dragging a chain:laughing:
I turn my a/c off when pulling big hills:D
I see what your sayin on your a/c. Hey how do you like your rebel? Vermeer claims the L5740 will run it just fine, but I'm not so sure. Was thinking about getting rid of the JD 435 for a Rebel and 805m ultrawide pickup.