Am I asking too much from my L5740-3?

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3?
We built it. It works pretty well. Gotta couple of tweeks to make. Honestly we just copied the "Rock Mountain Bale Sweep" with a couple of minor mods. Rocky Mountain Bale Sweep - YouTube

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #12  
I had the tranny in anti-stall mode in high range. The computer had to drop to the low side in the high range. I was just thinking, "I think I can, I think I can.":laughing:

Try running with the anti-stall turned off. I believe that this basically automatically reduces your speed to keep your engine RPM's up, but I have found that it seems to overcompensate and drop the ground speed more than necessary. Try turning it off and just back off the hydro pedal as necessary to adjust your ground speed. It might be better to just set your engine speed with the standard throttle vs the auto throttle advance, since when you let off the hydro pedal, you would also be letting off on the throttle when using auto throttle. You may just have bigger hills than I have, but 3100 lbs isn't much weight for a 57 hp tractor, hydro or gear. Give it a go without using stall guard and no auto throttle and let us know how it works. I don't use the auto HDS(?) setting much, which automatically shifts up/down between ranges. I prefer to do this myself with the column lever. These HST Plus tractors have great features, but some of them I prefer not to use all of the time.

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #13  
My L5030HSTC runs quite well with my JD336 in tow on the road, I don't have the stall guard so I just run it wide open foot to the floor. On a big hill I'd drop back to 12 mph or so but I'm talking hills that would make my truck downshift. It certainly drags the rpm down though.

In the field I've got some good hills, I bale in mid range in the thin fields and low in heavy fields. I've baled about 25,000 or something bales with the combo now? Started using my bigger tractor lately pulling a wagon behind the baler.

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #14  
Your tractor is capable of alot, but baling 300 acres.. I think your due for an M-series. Snag an M7040 before they go to Tier 4!

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #15  
what your seeing is what i call normal with the tractor pulling a baler in road gear.you need to drop down to med or low.but low would prolly fix the prob.

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #16  
Yours acts just like mine. It does pretty good all around but high speed, high range, and hills don't go together. It's where the hydro is least efficient - full displacement on the pump, low displacement on the motor, coupled with the hill equals high working pressure and reduced efficiency. But then again I remember the old days and our Farmall M pulling a loaded bale wagon up that same hill. When it didn't make it the only choice was to stop, shift down, crawl the rest of the way to the top, then shift up again. My L5740 is a great all around choice but I,m glad I have larger tractors for the big jobs.

Your tractor is capable of alot, but baling 300 acres.. I think your due for an M-series. Snag an M7040 before they go to Tier 4!
Only about 55 acres of that is square baled. The rest is round baled.

/ Am I asking too much from my L5740-3? #18  
Wow you guys make yours do more than I would even think of. L5740 is still just a glorified garden tractor.:D I wouldn't think of pulling any baler around my hills. The baler weighs as much as the tractor, makes for sporting hilling.

Try running with the anti-stall turned off. I believe that this basically automatically reduces your speed to keep your engine RPM's up, but I have found that it seems to overcompensate and drop the ground speed more than necessary. Try turning it off and just back off the hydro pedal as necessary to adjust your ground speed. It might be better to just set your engine speed with the standard throttle vs the auto throttle advance, since when you let off the hydro pedal, you would also be letting off on the throttle when using auto throttle. You may just have bigger hills than I have, but 3100 lbs isn't much weight for a 57 hp tractor, hydro or gear. Give it a go without using stall guard and no auto throttle and let us know how it works. I don't use the auto HDS(?) setting much, which automatically shifts up/down between ranges. I prefer to do this myself with the column lever. These HST Plus tractors have great features, but some of them I prefer not to use all of the time.
I played around with it. If I turn off the auto, it just bogs down so bad that I'm afraid that I would stall the engine. So I bump it down manually. I just changed my fuel filter, but maybe I have some bad fuel. Then again, it works flawlessly everywhere else. I even bale in high gear low range with no problems. Who knows? :confused3:

Wow you guys make yours do more than I would even think of. L5740 is still just a glorified garden tractor.:D I wouldn't think of pulling any baler around my hills. The baler weighs as much as the tractor, makes for sporting hilling.
The way I see it, if it's called a "tractor" it's meant to work. Although I agree with you to a point, any tractor with a Cat 2 three point is a substantial "utility" tractor and can do a fair amount of work. As for the sport hilling, I can see that could be interesting at times. But I do have 1300 lbs of RimGuard in the rear tires as well as the loader that bump the operating weight up enough to get good traction coming down the gravel road hills with the baler. I'm still cautious though.