M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #21  
Thank goodness for plastic tanks.
The fuel tank skid plate wouldn't stop a squirrel.

E/S

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #22  
Yeah, I thought of you and DT86 both when I was building this one. I know you both work your tractors in brush.

Aw shucks!!

Thanks for re posting the grill guard here as well, I was looking for those pics the other day and never did find them.
Is there any reason you didn't make the side pieces rest on the angles? (last picture)
Also do the lights reflect off of the expanded metal very bad?

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard
Aw shucks!!

Thanks for re posting the grill guard here as well, I was looking for those pics the other day and never did find them.
Is there any reason you didn't make the side pieces rest on the angles? (last picture)
Also do the lights reflect off of the expanded metal very bad?

I left a gap between the side pieces and the angles for two reasons. First I figured it would create an obnoxious squeak if they were touching. Second I figured I'd bend it someday and then it might be hard to latch/unlatch.

Kubota lights suck. I never used these lights before I built the guard so can't truly compare. I can see to drive it at night but nothing to brag about. No blinding reflection off the expanded metal at all, probably just diminished light getting thru.

I added a rear light and used a 55W H4 work light with a wide horizontal pattern. It offers ten times as much light as the factory fronts do.

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #24  
I see. It just seams like a lot of weight on the pin. Did you add a bolt to the other side yet? Every one my dealer sells have a bolt through the other side in case the pin fails. And fail it will, I left my bolt out, quickly broke the pin and both tabs, pushed the guard into the grill. It was the first dent or scratch on the then new machine.

The fold down roll bar on my old 2355 Deere squeaked like crazy. I put a small strip of mining belt between the top and bottom halves and that stopped it. The canopy on my 9540 just started squeaking and it is driving me crazy. If I ever build one I think I'll let them touch just close enough to fit rubber between.

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #25  
Also did you use the factory wiring for your light? I went the easy route and just bought the Kubota light. I should have made them throw it in free with the tractor but I already had the bale spear and box blade included in the price of the tractor... at their cost.

Also did you use the factory wiring for your light? I went the easy route and just bought the Kubota light. I should have made them throw it in free with the tractor but I already had the bale spear and box blade included in the price of the tractor... at their cost.

I used the factory wiring harness, had the light already laying on the shelf, had to add a switch to it since the factory wiring in "on" when the key is turned on.

As for the latch on the front guard, if you look real close at these two pics you can see that I welded on an additional tab for the guard to push against on each side. It's just behind the lockpin holes in the bracket. I also trussed the factory bracket and tied it all together to prevent bending. Not saying it can't be bent, but it will take a pretty hard push to do it. The latch pin is only holding the guard from falling forward or folding down.

DSC05873.jpg

DSC05877.jpg

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #27  
I see it now. Nice work.

I've been wanting to move my round turn signal lights to the roll bar pivot points, to be better seen.

I see it now. Nice work.

I've been wanting to move my round turn signal lights to the roll bar pivot points, to be better seen.

I'm never in a situation where I use my road lights. I'd I think I'd also knock them off in the timber if mounted up there?? Not sure though.

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #29  
ovrszd said:
I'm never in a situation where I use my road lights. I'd I think I'd also knock them off in the timber if mounted up there?? Not sure though.

Well with a roll of hay on the back no one can see them. Not sure if they'd be any more prone to being snagged up there either.

Last edited:
   / M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #30  
ovrszd did you ever think about making more of the tranny filter covers and selling them