HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?
:DJust wanted to chime in again and explain why I put more weight on the tongue. when I pulled the tractor on forwards (fel to the front), the trailer swayed pretty bad because the majority of the weight was on the back of the trailer (from mid-axle to rear end) this put the trailer in a tongue lifting position, and thus, made the trucks rear end very light (not good). when I put the tractor on as you see in the pictures it seemed to balance out perfectly. I havent done the math or anything, and since I posted this I am definately getting brakes on both axles before I tow again, but the Nissan Titan has a tow capacity of almost 10,000 pounds / heavy duty tow package, and the 4x4 suspension seems to hold the tractor and trailer very well. I may be missing something, and I am by far no expert on this, but any additional constructive ideas or comments are appreciated. I want to keep it safe, but it looks like I may be making some mistakes which I intend to correct asap! Thanks for all the feedback!:confused3:

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #32  
I also back my tractor on my trailer - I have an 18' dovetail quad wheel trailer (with brakes) and pull a MX5100 with loader/grapple and rear blade. I back on to put some extra weight on the truck and I never have any issues with sway. I am pulling this combo with a 2012 2500 Dodge Diesel - I did pull it with a 07 Tundra (5.7L long bed 4x4) and while it was within the rating of the truck it just didn't feel real good towing that much weight with that truck, the Dodge just feels MUCH more planted. Guess it is the difference in the weight of the truck as well as a heavier suspension.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #33  
:DJust wanted to chime in again and explain why I put more weight on the tongue. when I pulled the tractor on forwards (fel to the front), the trailer swayed pretty bad because the majority of the weight was on the back of the trailer (from mid-axle to rear end) this put the trailer in a tongue lifting position, and thus, made the trucks rear end very light (not good). when I put the tractor on as you see in the pictures it seemed to balance out perfectly. I havent done the math or anything, and since I posted this I am definately getting brakes on both axles before I tow again, but the Nissan Titan has a tow capacity of almost 10,000 pounds / heavy duty tow package, and the 4x4 suspension seems to hold the tractor and trailer very well. I may be missing something, and I am by far no expert on this, but any additional constructive ideas or comments are appreciated. I want to keep it safe, but it looks like I may be making some mistakes which I intend to correct asap! Thanks for all the feedback!:confused3:

You can use a bathroom scale and a 2x4 to check your tongue weight. Determining Trailer Tongue Weight | etrailer.com

Have you considered selling that trailer and getting one with brakes? You will have over $500 in doing the brakes yourself.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #34  
I felt comfortable when I did the following. Took truck to scales, got front and rear axle weight. Took truck and empty trailer to scales, got front and rear axle weight, plus trailer axles weight. Took truck and trailer and loaded tractor to scales, got axle weights again. From this, you can see where your weights are distrubuted. If the truck stop scales are not close to home, you can still do this all in one trip. May cost you 3 time $9.00, but it will keep you from guessing. Anyone towing over 3000 pounds needs to get trailer axle brakes before you cause collateral damage, hurt yourself, or most important, hurt/kill someone else who is innocent to your incompetence. Philip.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #35  
Picture this if youcan.
Brand new (less that 10 hours) Grand L 30 series tractor w/ loader and backhoe and a 72" box scraper all on an new 18', 13000#gvw trailer behind a Ford F250. Scraper sitting on the front of the deck and then the tractor pulled on with the loader bucket sittong on the deck up against the scraper. This puts the backhoe hanging in the air behind the stand up ramps. Pull down the freeway at 65mph and guess what happens. If you guessed total disaster, you are correct. Bent up loader, backhoe, broken rear differential housing, bent wheels. Not a board left on the trailer deck, and both trailer axles bent. And the customer had the guts to blame it all on the trailer brakes not working

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #36  
IMG_3055.jpgJust got this brand new, 7,000 lb., 18' car hauler with brakes on both axles, to haul my 2700 lb. Kubota BX25 TLB. Lots of capacity to spare, for extra implements. (Already have a rear blower, and probably a box scraper will be next.) I MAY carry the scraper with me when I go to a friend's to help him with his garage pad prep, but it will only weigh less than 500 lbs., so still plenty of leeway. Only paid $3,000 brand new for the trailer, complete with stowable steel ramps!:cool2:

Here's what I had before:

091920081843.jpg

Last edited:
   / HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #37  
This is what i use, don't have any pictures of it with the 5240 on it. There is plenty of room though for implememts and to adjust front/back to get tongue weight just right.

6-18-106.jpg

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #38  
I have a kubota L3800 with a 4in1 and flail mower. I tow it Toyota Tacoma with a 18' 7k dual axle trailer that has one set of electric breaks. Setup works good for me. I drive the tractor onto the trailer facing forward. The only problem is tongue weight so I typically bring the flail mower up with the 4in1 and park the tractor farther back on the trailer so it's weight is more centered on the dual axles.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #39  
I have a kubota L3800 with a 4in1 and flail mower. I tow it Toyota Tacoma with a 18' 7k dual axle trailer that has one set of electric breaks. Setup works good for me. I drive the tractor onto the trailer facing forward. The only problem is tongue weight so I typically bring the flail mower up with the 4in1 and park the tractor farther back on the trailer so it's weight is more centered on the dual axles.

Gotta pic? I would like to see it. I used to really enjoy pulling with the smaller toyotas.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #40  
This a picture of my wife's truck ( Eco boost), daddy's 18' performance car hauler, and the 5010. Loaded it a little tongue heavy to see how the truck would tote it. This was the first of many times I hauled it. It has done very well. Trailer has brakes but no controller in the truck. I'm taking daddy's m7040 to him this week or the next. We will see how it does. I use a gooseneck with my truck bc the extra weight with welder etc.

Attachments

• image-947460453.jpg
    image-947460453.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 597