HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #41  
I always worry about good brakes more than a big engine when towing. You can always go slower or use a lower gear, but when it comes to stopping, you need a truck set up with good brakes in good condition.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #42  
I always worry about good brakes more than a big engine when towing. You can always go slower or use a lower gear, but when it comes to stopping, you need a truck set up with good brakes in good condition.
You are right, you can't have to much brakes.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #44  
I wanted to get some insight as to how everyone out there in "tractor land" loads and tows their tractor. I have a Kubota L3200 w/ BH 77 backhoe. I transport it on an 18 ft. dual axle trailer (no brakes on trailer) and I have found that if I back my tractor on the trailer instead of pulling it on forward, I actually put more weight towards the hitch, and axles which makes the tow a lot more stable. I do plan to get brakes on the trailer because I'm towing it with a 2004 Nissan Titan (5.6L v8) and althought it pulls it with no problems, it can be a little "hairy" at times when its time to stop. I posted these pics to see if anyone else has had my idea, and also wanted to note that even though the backhoe bucket extends over the front rail, I have had no problems with turn radius.....the bucket never gets close to the tailgate even in sharp turns.

To be honest with you I would not feel comfortable at all towing that without brakes on that trailer and a WD hitch on the Titan. I am positive without the WD hitch and brakes on the trailer you are over the tow rating with the Titan. In my state trailers registered with a gross rating over 3500# require brakes and yearly inspections.

I tow my B3200SU TLB on my 16' dual axle with brakes on both axles and WD hitch with my Titan. The WD hitch (Curt Manufacturing 17301 Weight Distribution Trunnion Style 800 Lbs Max Tongue : Amazon.com : Automotive) only took a few hours to set up with the help of a buddy and it tows really smooth.

As far as loading it, I place jack stands under the rear of the trailer and drive on forwards (need a hi-lift jack once the tractor is on to get them out!). Loader butts up against the front bar of the trailer and this puts the rears of the tractor right over the trailer axles. This balances the trailer perfectly with the WD hitch. I chain it down at the 4 corners, but have been told that I may get stopped by DOT for not chaining down the loader and backhoe as well.

photo (2).jpgphoto (1).jpgphoto.jpg

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #45  
We haul our own small equipment and according to our insurance guru a load like that would have to be tied down 4 ways and each attachment (FEL and BH would need at least one of their own. I don't know for sure whether this is a PA law or not. Also, I can't imagine towing that load without brakes.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #46  
:DJust wanted to chime in again and explain why I put more weight on the tongue. when I pulled the tractor on forwards (fel to the front), the trailer swayed pretty bad because the majority of the weight was on the back of the trailer (from mid-axle to rear end) this put the trailer in a tongue lifting position, and thus, made the trucks rear end very light (not good). when I put the tractor on as you see in the pictures it seemed to balance out perfectly. I havent done the math or anything, and since I posted this I am definately getting brakes on both axles before I tow again, but the Nissan Titan has a tow capacity of almost 10,000 pounds / heavy duty tow package, and the 4x4 suspension seems to hold the tractor and trailer very well. I may be missing something, and I am by far no expert on this, but any additional constructive ideas or comments are appreciated. I want to keep it safe, but it looks like I may be making some mistakes which I intend to correct asap! Thanks for all the feedback!:confused3:

Don't be afraid to hang your bucket over the front rail if that is what it takes to equalize or balance the load. Balancing the load on the trailer axles and putting some weight on the tongue is key. It takes a little practice. I move my tractor enough that I just about have it down. Regardless of the implement I have attached to the 3 pt the balance point is always within the same few inches.

I'm just thinking if you tow with too much weight on the tongue your truck will fail prematurely. Springs, shocks and in my case bearings in the rear end of the truck. Bearings on the trailer are a lot cheaper. :)

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?
Upnorth1, In Alabama there are no inspections, however our laws are anything over 3000# must have brakes on each axle. As far as the hitch goes, that's an interesting set up, but I don't believe its the necessity here....I think Brakes definitely are, and the WD hitch doesn't hurt at all, but the WD hitch isn't necessary if the load is properly balanced and brakes are on the trailer. I have been looking at brake options and the tractor is not going anywhere on it until I get the trailer brakes completed. I also installed two rear collapsible "feet" on the back of my trailer (see pics below) and now loading the trailer doesn't lift the rear end on the Titan up. I think I'm on the right track, and for the record.....I'm gonna see about that WD hitch...it looks like a good deal. Resampled_2013-01-07_15-35-23_790.jpgResampled_2013-01-07_15-34-54_502.jpg

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #48  
Check your manual on the Titan, over a certain weight you are required to have a weight distribution hitch to meet the Titan's tow capacities.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #49  
I chain my tractor with overkill 7,500 lbs chains and binders (rated at like 9,300 lbs), then use 1,500 lbs ratchet straps on the loader and whatever implement I have on the back.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #50  
I chain my tractor with overkill 7,500 lbs chains and binders (rated at like 9,300 lbs), then use 1,500 lbs ratchet straps on the loader and whatever implement I have on the back.
I do the same thing except my ratchet straps are 3500# rating. Run one over the FEL arms and if transporting the backhoe, one goes around the dipper stick and bucket to hole that tight up against the tractor. The one on the FEL is fastened slightly to the rear of the attachment points while the back one is fastened slightly to the front of the attachment point.