Oil & Fuel Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #111  
That's why I went with the 10 micron Racor. Its still finer than the Kubota filter is reported to be rated at.
Also, inline electric pumps are designed to push not pull so I didn't think it was wise to add unnecessary restriction upstream.

Possibly but doesn't Kubota put one before and one after the electric pump on the bx? I know they do on the F series mowers.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #112  
Possibly but doesn't Kubota put one before and one after the electric pump on the bx? I know they do on the F series mowers.

Yes, I should have been more clear. My Racor IS plumbed before the pump replacing the feeble 1st stock filter. I left the second one in place as it does no harm & it could help if anything would ever come apart from the lift pump.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #113  
Scooby is usually OK with a bit of drift, so I thought I'd toss this in....

In terms of the filter Micron wars, consider using a fuel additive that de-emulsifies (as in coagulates) tiny water particles, as it will assist in water separation activity with any filter. This action is one reason I use Stanadyne, but I believe other products do this too (Optilube XPD ?).

If I understand the described Winter issues with the stock Kub filter, the type of additive I'm talking about may actually cause you to change the stock filter more often, but IMO that is better than having those tiny water droplets going through an injector. A Racor or any olde school cup separator with a drain cock will just have to be drained of water a bit more often, using addy's like I'm describing.

Rgds, D.

You know you might be on to something. I use Howes and there is a chance that is working against me in terms of clogging the factory filter. It also makes sense that its a good thing, you don't want a bunch of crap going through your fuel system.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #114  
Many large tractors, combines etc. place a inline filter just outside the fuel tank to catch any large particles before the go through the lift pump. They last 100's of hours before plugging and thats with 10+gal/hour fuel flow. If one on a small bx plugs regularly then there is a fuel cleanliness issue going on.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #115  
I don't think its fuel problem. There are to many people reporting the problem. There has been a couple people that have reported there sending units rusting out. That's possible with mine. It could also be the fact that the one on combines and such is designed to catch large stuff and the ones on a BX aren't that they are catching all the small stuff and plugging up. It could be a gelling problem. Someone also mentioned that maybe the filter media on a BX is designed to catch water and that is whats stopping them up.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25
Scooby is usually OK with a bit of drift, so I thought I'd toss this in....

In terms of the filter Micron wars, consider using a fuel additive that de-emulsifies (as in coagulates) tiny water particles, as it will assist in water separation activity with any filter. This action is one reason I use Stanadyne, but I believe other products do this too (Optilube XPD ?).

If I understand the described Winter issues with the stock Kub filter, the type of additive I'm talking about may actually cause you to change the stock filter more often, but IMO that is better than having those tiny water droplets going through an injector. A Racor or any olde school cup separator with a drain cock will just have to be drained of water a bit more often, using addy's like I'm describing.

Rgds, D.

Your right Dave.

Different additives perform in different ways. Some will help in pulling out the water in conjunction with the filter but some will emulsify the water and let it pass through the filter and engine. With the de-emulsifing additives, thats where the Racor models shine with their built in drains and clear bowls..

See water.. open drain... close drain.. drive away. Easy peasy. Other models require disassembly of the filter housing which not only takes more time, but wastes more fuel.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #117  
That's the reason I liked the $33 Goldenrod- nice easy to see clear bowl and drain valve. If they had a 5 or 10 micron filter element, then it would be better. I have to save money whenever it doesn't have hidden costs, you know.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #118  
I add Power Service to my 5 gallon cans prior to adding fuel at the pump. I over add. It is very common for me to see on extremely cold days when adding fuel to my BX2660 fuel clog up the screen in my oversized funnel and STOP the flow into the fuel tank entirely. This is treated fuel on ice/cold metal. The screen is all of an inch in diameter. I can only imagine what the fuel does inside the lawn mower-type filters on a BX. I'm done with them. The Racor has to be better. I'm going to look for room under the steering column by the battery for room. Maybe the engine heat will help?

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #119  
Your right Dave.

Different additives perform in different ways. Some will help in pulling out the water in conjunction with the filter but some will emulsify the water and let it pass through the filter and engine. With the de-emulsifing additives, thats where the Racor models shine with their built in drains and clear bowls..

See water.. open drain... close drain.. drive away. Easy peasy. Other models require disassembly of the filter housing which not only takes more time, but wastes more fuel.

Anybody that came up around old diesel tractors or heavy equipment (or grew up driving in Europe) is used to the reflexive Check/Drain as Needed routine.

To be fair to Kubota et al, with small diesels migrating into home tractor applications, aside from cost they probably spec'd these basic disposable filters in with the general attitude (No Maintenance) of Today's Consumer in mind.

Once people have a bit of diesel time under their belt, they appreciate the value of upgrading the filter. I'm a bit surprised that dealers don't quietly offer an upgrade package with a Sale - good value to the educated consumer there.

Rgds, D.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #120  
I add Power Service to my 5 gallon cans prior to adding fuel at the pump. I over add. It is very common for me to see on extremely cold days when adding fuel to my BX2660 fuel clog up the screen in my oversized funnel and STOP the flow into the fuel tank entirely. This is treated fuel on ice/cold metal. The screen is all of an inch in diameter. I can only imagine what the fuel does inside the lawn mower-type filters on a BX. I'm done with them. The Racor has to be better. I'm going to look for room under the steering column by the battery for room. Maybe the engine heat will help?

There are also fuel filter assembly heaters available; I'd be surprised if Racor does not offer one. That topic has come up on here recently (perhaps even in this thread), but they should be easy to find if you don't see that discussion on TBN.

Rgds, D.

Last edited: