BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #361  
Im far from a grammar expert but I believe Stihl is pronounced like "Steel" not "Still". Please correct me if Im wrong but would that make your saw holder "Steel Here" Or maybe change it to "Place Steel Here".
Here is a Stihl video...........STIHL Dealer Days 2013 is Happening Now! - YouTube

Chris

There was an official Stihl commercial on the radio here (ie: factory not dealer produced) that had the various pronunciations from around the world at the beginning of it. Sweden, Canada, US, German, there must have been at least 10 different pronunciations from around the world, ended up with "No matter how you say it, nothing beats a Stihl" (or something to that effect) so they know that everyone has their own take on it. Tried to find it on Youtube but couldn't, too bad, I thought it was a clever commercial.

I also remember a "how to pronounce" on one of the Stihl websites, using the German pronunciation.. Can't find that either lol. Around here, everybody calls it "Still"

Did find this while looking though. Pretty funny, from Croatia. They use pretty close to the "Steel" pronunciation.

The Aussies, however use the "Still" pronunciation, like us, I think they inherited it from the British. Also funny! http://youtu.be/W0VTHNXfET4 AND http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-JJXJ4b3JQ&feature=share&list=PL1FACAB72FE585251:thumbsup:

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #362  
Funny commercial! But if I were in the woods with a bear around, would I want a gun or a chainsaw? Hmmm. I'm thinkin' the chainsaw would be way more effective....

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued.
There was an official Stihl commercial on the radio here (ie: factory not dealer produced) that had the various pronunciations from around the world at the beginning of it. Sweden, Canada, US, German, there must have been at least 10 different pronunciations from around the world, ended up with "No matter how you say it, nothing beats a Stihl" (or something to that effect) so they know that everyone has their own take on it. Tried to find it on Youtube but couldn't, too bad, I thought it was a clever commercial.

I also remember a "how to pronounce" on one of the Stihl websites, using the German pronunciation.. Can't find that either lol. Around here, everybody calls it "Still"

Did find this while looking though. Pretty funny, from Croatia. They use pretty close to the "Steel" pronunciation.

The Aussies, however use the "Still" pronunciation, like us, I think they inherited it from the British. Also funny! Funny Stihl Commercial - YouTube AND Stihl Blower Commercial - YouTube:thumbsup:

OMG I had some laugh out of those :laughing: Thanks for this Jason. Did you get any weld on hooks after?

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #364  
OMG I had some laugh out of those :laughing: Thanks for this Jason. Did you get any weld on hooks after?

Glad you got a kick :D

Nah. Didnt get the proper hooks yet. I have a couple PA cheapies that I may weld on. I do have a bolt on trailer mover that has some grab hooks welded to it, so if I ever need to use chain, I can.

Since I built my forks, my chain usage has gone basically to never.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #365  
I love watching your well thought out mod's paul. I really don't think you are done with them yet . You just think you are. I think you will design a quick disconect for the backhoe bucket. if you are digging where there are roots and have to switch between the claw and the bucket several times you will want a quick change.

I think a lot of companies are are calling baked on enamel powder coat. The chassis on my dragster is powder coated. It is indestructable. It is hard to grind off. I have also had so called powder coat fall off like yours. It seems like powder coating that comes on somthing from a factory is garbage. If you send somthing to a shop that specializes in powder coating it is great.
Bill

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #366  
Please educate me, as i have some of the supplies to start powder-coating, and want to do it right. Is this epoxy primer a powder/oven application? Or are you talking about a liquid? If liquid, is it a 2-part epoxy mix?

When i've tried to buy 2-part epoxy paints at my local autoparts stores they look at me with crossed eyes, don't stock any. I have used some in marine applications.

Primers for powder coating are powders themselves. I'm assuming you're trying to buy 2-part epoxy primers from places like O'Reilly's, AutoZone, and the like. If so, I'm not surprised the inDUHviduals that work in those places look at you with blank stares. You need to go to an automotive paint supply house.

Here are a couple of links to powder manufacturers. All of my stuff uses Cardinal as that is what the powder coater I use keeps in stock. Tiger offers a greater variety of colors though. By the way, yellow powder coating is just as much of a PITA as yellow paint. It needs a white undercoat to cover well and render the color correctly.

Cardinal Paint

TIGER Coatings: TIGER. A synonym for colors & effects.

As far as pronouncing Stihl as "steel" or "still," I suspect "still" is more popular as it reminds buyers of the stills used to make moonshine.

The German spelling of "steel" is "stahl" and the WW2 German helmet was called the "stahlhelm." My guess is that "stihl" is a marketing variation on "stahl" just as Chevy purposely misspells "cruise" as "Cruze" for their Corolla clone.

Paul needs to add LED's to the fan shrouds of his tractor like gamer's do to their computer fans. I have this case for my graphics PC and I have blue LED's on all the case fans. Although red looks cool in the picture, blue tends to show up better in real life.

HAF X - Cooler Master X

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #367  
As far as pronouncing Stihl as "steel" or "still," I suspect "still" is more popular as it reminds buyers of the stills used to make moonshine.

The German spelling of "steel" is "stahl" and the WW2 German helmet was called the "stahlhelm." My guess is that "stihl" is a marketing variation on "stahl" just as Chevy purposely misspells "cruise" as "Cruze" for their Corolla clone.

HAF X - Cooler Master X

Stihl isn't so much about moonshine or even some weird take on a German so as to be able to patent it.. It was a man's name. And Stihl to this day continues to be a privately run family enterprise. Andreas Stihl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #368  
Powder coating is only good if the piece is sandblasted first and No primer is used.
If sandblasted and primer IS used, the paint will come off and the primer won't. Sandblasting is the trick because the paint bites into the little nooks and grannies. The next coat doesn't bite as much or at all. Sandblasting and baking is what makes the first finish tough. This has been my experience with powder coating. If it's sandblasted and baked hot enough and long enough with No primer used the finish won't come off with a hammer.

Last edited:
   / BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #369  
The clamp is certainly stronger. The hose clamp is just ridicules. It looks cheap and is just plain wrong to use especially for a safety item. I'm very surprised Kubota did that. The muffler clamp took five minutes to fab up BUT I will admit I had a solid piece of aluminum square stock chucked in under the boring head of the milling machine to build a custom clamp and said to myself " it don't make sense to spend two hours or more building a clamp when a simple exhaust clamp will more than do it". I figure my idea is just a cost effective as Kubota's but better :D
I like it. Now if I can just remember that when I come back from my tour of Africa so I can fix mine the same way.

/ BX25D. Mod #1 and continued. #370  
I like it. Now if I can just remember that when I come back from my tour of Africa so I can fix mine the same way.

I would think you'd want it fixed before you drive it all over Africa. I hear their roads are terrible. :D