Creek got me again

/ Creek got me again #41  
I have done worse (OK just as bad ) with a lot bigger....live and learn as they say

Tks for the pics, I like those threads lol

/ Creek got me again #42  
This is about as "Constructive" as I can get;
1) Don't DO that. Hire someone in with adequate equipment.
From the one picture of the site I would guess the rocks/boulders would stop many/most Cat 1 tractors at some point ANYWAY.
2) Since the o/p probably WILL do this again. Use CHAIN not rope to pull it out.
Hook to the draw bar, NOT the ROPS, not the 3 pt hitch.
IOW, just like pulling with the tractor, pull the tractor from the lowest point possible, i.e. BELOW the axle center line.
3) "Rope" is too much of an unknown. GENERALLY it will stretch under load and that stretch represents stored energy.
When suddenly released that stored energy can be lethal. Nylon and poly ropes may not rot quickly, but they ARE elastic.
The amount of chain you have should be the limit of how far you go from a hard dry surface where the SUV can get traction.
Even though chain TENDS to drop to the ground when it breaks it can still be a good idea to throw something like heavy moving blankets over it.

I haven't done this, I tend to use chain that is WAY over capacity, but from a tip posted here several years ago;
To restrain chain when it breaks, thread a rope through a link at intervals of a foot or two.
Tie it off at each end with an extra couple of feet of slack.
The principle is that each portion of the chain will slide along the rope and remain constrained.
Obviously don't keep pulling once the chain breaks (-:

/ Creek got me again #43  
This is about as "Constructive" as I can get;
1) Don't DO that. Hire someone in with adequate equipment.
From the one picture of the site I would guess the rocks/boulders would stop many/most Cat 1 tractors at some point ANYWAY.
2) Since the o/p probably WILL do this again. Use CHAIN not rope to pull it out.
Hook to the draw bar, NOT the ROPS, not the 3 pt hitch.
IOW, just like pulling with the tractor, pull the tractor from the lowest point possible, i.e. BELOW the axle center line.
3) "Rope" is too much of an unknown. GENERALLY it will stretch under load and that stretch represents stored energy.
When suddenly released that stored energy can be lethal. Nylon and poly ropes may not rot quickly, but they ARE elastic.
The amount of chain you have should be the limit of how far you go from a hard dry surface where the SUV can get traction.
Even though chain TENDS to drop to the ground when it breaks it can still be a good idea to throw something like heavy moving blankets over it.

I haven't done this, I tend to use chain that is WAY over capacity, but from a tip posted here several years ago;
To restrain chain when it breaks, thread a rope through a link at intervals of a foot or two.
Tie it off at each end with an extra couple of feet of slack.
The principle is that each portion of the chain will slide along the rope and remain constrained.
Obviously don't keep pulling once the chain breaks (-:

Reg, lighten up. Since he's done it before, he believes his equipment is adequate for what he wanted to accomplish. You almost make it sound like if we get our tractor stuck, it wasn't up to the task. Ever. Simply not true. While you were correct about the "it" grammar yesterday, I don't think anybody on these forums was going to misinterpret what the OP said for pulling on the ROPS.

I've got a 2 inch wide strap I've used for many years. It was rated at 20,000 lbs. I've called it a strap, a tow strap, a tow rope, and maybe I've even called it a "rope" if I've ever told somebody to "wrap the rope around that". The fact remains that with my SUV, I've never been anywhere close to putting 20,000 lbs of pull on it; that would assume my tires have a coefficient of friction of over 3. I buy good tires, but I haven't ever seen tires that would offer me that. Having said that, how you use the strap could easily become a greater force than the rating. I do not backup and give it a good run, I treat my strap like a chain. They are capable of generating instantaneous force greater than what you could pull because of momentum. I decline to use that. The strap the OP used appears to be pretty heavy duty.

You do make very valid points about the potential of the energy stored in them. Even chain though, can snap back at you. (There is a great video of a ship's anchor chain breaking that's been posted a few times.) There is stored energy there as well, and you recognize it, though not explicitly, with the great advice of putting a blanket over it or even better, threading the rope though it.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Creek got me again #44  
Yes, I forgot the tip about NOT trying to jerk things free.
From other interests I am fairly sure that a GOOD tire on a GOOD hard road surface has a c.o.e. of just about 1, not that you can count on all four gripping equally, but the towing vehicle's weight is a fair estimate of the limit that it COULD pull - or what would be needed to pull the SUV towards the tractor with a winch if all four tires were locked and on hard pavement - 20,000 gives a safety factor of 3, and in THIS application that is probably sufficient.

I probably stay farther inside the envelope than some (many ?, MOST ?) people on here, not that I am too scared to even climb on my tractors and actually START them - I do that (-:

/ Creek got me again #45  
Yes, I forgot the tip about NOT trying to jerk things free.
From other interests I am fairly sure that a GOOD tire on a GOOD hard road surface has a c.o.e. of just about 1, not that you can count on all four gripping equally, but the towing vehicle's weight is a fair estimate of the limit that it COULD pull - or what would be needed to pull the SUV towards the tractor with a winch if all four tires were locked and on hard pavement - 20,000 gives a safety factor of 3, and in THIS application that is probably sufficient.
I probably stay farther inside the envelope than some (many ?, MOST ?) people on here, not that I am too scared to even climb on my tractors and actually START them - I do that (-:
And that 20k rating (assuming that it is the WLL, not breaking strength) has a safety factor of 3 on most straps, so its actually a 60k breaking strength strap...

Aaron Z

/ Creek got me again
Reg,

Surely you can see the STRAP connected to the lowest point possible (tow bar)in the first picture. The 3 inch wide 30k strap.

I am an engineer, who used to be a technician, who used to be a mechanic, who used to be ex-Navy, who used to be an OTR truck driver. Seen quite a few things in my day and graduated from the school of hard knocks many times over. I learned more in that school than I ever did in college.

And yes, been in the that creek many times to get this project completed. I am not the kind of guy who gives up and I certainly wouldn't put my equipment, personnel or myself in a precarious position where something or someone would get hurt or broken.

4runner tugged it out with ease when I knew all I was going to do was make a mess with the tractor trying to get out.