Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #1  

namesray

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota rtv900: kubota mx5200
Just checking quick for some advice on how to trailer my mx5200 with a turbo. I have been taught that the force of air, such as driving at highway speeds, into/towards exhaust pipe can spin turbo without oil flow and cause turbo to burn out.

The exhaust pipe on mx5200 is down low by front left tire/axel. Pointing towards front of tractor.

My idea was to just back the tractor onto the trailer, thus no air forced up exhaust pipe. This way I have no modifications or covers to put over exhaust pipe, especially due to I dont have time to wait for pipe to cool after finishing one job, going to the next job.

Anyone have any info/advice or any other ideasI am not thinking of? Thanks again.

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #2  
First I have ever heard of such a thing. Subscribed...

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #3  
Where, might I ask, did you hear that?

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #4  
Worrying about that is like worrying about a boat prop turning as the air flows across it during travailing on a trailer... Neither will harm the bearings...
Load your tractor according to the proper weight distribution and worry about more likely highway problems... like doors blowing open, or roof coverings blowing off, those although Very rare, could actually happen.

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #5  
Where, might I ask, did you hear that?

Actually I believe there was another thread on here about it recently. The solution in that thread was to stick a rag in the exhaust pipe. If it is actually an issue, I have no idea.

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #6  
If your worried . Cut the curved tip off.put a straight piece on with an exhaust cap.

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #7  
I have been taught that the force of air, such as driving at highway speeds, into/towards exhaust pipe can spin turbo without oil flow and cause turbo to burn out.

Not a chance in ****.

1) There's no air flowing thru the turbo to spin it. The "other end" is capped off. The turbo is not spinning.
2) If your turbo bearings could not survive spinning a half a turn or two while cool, how could they survive when you're putting 52 horsepower thru it?

The problem you wrote of, I've never heard that, and nobody should ever hear that. :2cents:

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #8  
The turbo spins at, what, 12,000 rpm or something like that? There's no way a little draft down at the end of the exhaust will get it spinning fast enough to do any damage.

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #9  
Yeah, there was a recent thread about this. It was lengthy. There were posters that swear their first born child that you will destroy your turbo if you don't cap the exhaust. There was even a post about a turbo'd machine parked by the HVAC exhaust fan of a commercial building and the passing air destroyed the turbo.

I am reminded of my childhood stories. One in particular, "Chicken Little".

Just haul your tractor and worry more about securing your tractor to the trailer, securing the trailer to your tow vehicle and securing the condition of your tow vehicle that it can handle the load. :)

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #10  
We were taught that as part of a union apprenticeship training program. All graders [cats] were loaded with a shop towel stuffed and taped onto the exhaust. Never questioned it.