Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #11  
To spin it, the air would need somewhere ( low pressure ) to go after the turbo....Where's it going?

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor
Not what I expected at all. I have been told for years where I work at the state highway dept, that anytime a piece of equipment's exhaust points into the wind when trailering, that it needs to be covered or the turbo will burn out. I am just going by what I have been taught. I mean it kinda makes sense, air in exhaust pipe, forced through exhaust system to turbo, thus causing turbo to spin. Since engine is not running, no oil to keep turbo bearings lubed, causing the turbo to burn out. Once damaged, it is done and mega $$ to replace.

But I am not a diesel mechanic, just an operator. I actually like the simplicity that I dont have to even worry about it. Here I was thinking most people here on tbn knew more of this issue happening then I did. Turns outthe opposite. I have heard wrong for a long time.

So, I guess I will just load the thing on the trailer and not worry about it.

Anybody be able to tell me why air cant get forced in and spin the turbo, ruining it? I mean the mechanical explaination. I like learning this stuff.

To spin it, the air would need somewhere ( low pressure ) to go after the turbo....Where's it going?

ok makes sense. And sorry, you must have snuck your response in while I was typing my previous question.

so it wont spin due to like a vapor lock or something like that?

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #14  
I just spent a bit of time researching the issue on the web and found there are some legit concerns with some equipment and that some manufacturers ship their equipment with transport plugs for the exhaust and intake (CAT was named several times). I'd reckon it is a "better safe than sorry" thing and a rag and some tape should be fine.

First I ever heard of such a thing...

I just spent a bit of time researching the issue on the web and found there are some legit concerns with some equipment and that some manufacturers ship their equipment with transport plugs for the exhaust and intake (CAT was named several times). I'd reckon it is a "better safe than sorry" thing and a rag and some tape should be fine.

First I ever heard of such a thing...

Yea, I knew other people have used the cover technique, but when I looked on the web quick after I saw all the responses here, even most of those articles mentioned that it was just "an old wives tale". So I coupled that with what everybody was saying here and...

I am now asuming it is not necessary to cover the exhaust to save the turbo when trailering. When my mx5200 was delivered to me it was on the trailer backwards, but that was due to being able to fit everything on trailer best with the overhangs.

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #16  
My 3720 manual directs towing backwards and plugging the exhaust. Air could get through if both valves were open on one of the cylinders - overlap. Look into plugs sold to cork motorcycle exhausts while washing. Mine came with two sizes connected. I separated them. One goes in a motorcycle exhaust the other in the tractor exhaust and rides in the glove compartment in a pouch that otherwise holds the key when the plug is installed...because I'm forgetful.

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #17  
Used to tape off or seal the exhaust system years ago when hauling a semi tractor on a trailer behind another semi. There was the possibility of the air flowing over the stacks creating a low pressure area and drawing air through the engine and spinning the turbo with no oil flow, especially over long distances. It only becomes an issue if an engine is stopped with one of the pistons at the top of the exhaust stroke where the valve overlap has both the intake and the exhaust valve partially open at the same time where you can get air flow through the cylinder. What are the odds of that happening? It only needs to happen once on a long haul. With modern oil technology that tends to keep an oil film in place it should only be an issue if towing long distance.

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #18  
if an engine is stopped with one of the pistons at the top of the exhaust stroke where the valve overlap has both the intake and the exhaust valve partially open at the same time where you can get air flow through the cylinder. What are the odds of that happening?

Well I'll have to say,,,,,,very likely it can happen. Four, six, eights are all likely to stop at one 'popular' position, I haven't opened a valve cover in awhile, can't remember which ones do but more cylinders = more likely. If any piston is at TDC then there is at least one other with both valves overlapped. Thus air could flow slowly in the exhaust and out the airfilter, provided there is less pressure at the air-cleaner inlet than at the exhaust outlet. Its feasible that if the exhaust was facing forward into 65mph air, and the aircleaner inlet is under the hood that air will flow.

I do not believe that a slowly turning cool turbo can overheat and damage its bearings from this minimal airflow. Stop once in awhile and put your hand on the towed turbo, is it hot? Maybe warm? Not a chance in ****!!!

But maybe the intent of covering the exhaust is to prevent unfiltered air (dust) from blowing thru the engine with regards to the scenario above. It could make some sense if you are towing eqpt from Texas to Prudhoe Bay. Not a bit of sense when towing a hundred miles on sealed roads.

Last edited:
   / Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #19  
can it happen, yes, worth worrying about, I doubt it. short trips I wouldn't cover it, 100 miles cover it

/ Best way to trailer turbo'd tractor #20  
I live right along a major interstate and see new tractors being hauled weekly with no exhaust cover.

I've also seen new equipment exhaust stacks covered with duct tape and even a few with some sort of canvas cone type thingy and bungee cords.

Usually though, they have the exhaust stack just hanging out in the wind.