Loader Flipped my L48 Kubota

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #1  

DrivewayMan

Tractor
L48 Kubota
Flipped my L48. Motor did just the opposite of what I thought it would. Instead of shutting off, it went full throttle red line and blow huge black cloud. Throttle back, no help. Killed ignition, no help. Finally shut off fuel supply and shut down motor. Never occurred to me in my full blown panic to lower stabilizer to up right. Duh!

Up righted, let sit, drained and filled oil, and started. Runs a little rough, got hot quick, and blows exhaust out radiator. Filled radiator, tried to crank over, and Hydra-locked right up with out even a full crank. Pulled the head and all four cylinders had liquid in them. No cracks or holes in block or head. Head gasket has no obvious signs of failure but I'm hoping that's what it is. Never got to do compression test because once it hydra-locked, i wanted to get head off to get that liquid out.

Why did it red line like that? Throttle system is fine with no linkage breakage. Is there any where else the water could come from other than head gasket or cracks? she seemed to fill up and hydra-lock really quick. And has any body else had this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

20160106_102424_resized.jpeg

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #3  
What is the background to your L48 toppling to its side?

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #4  
remember.. diesels are fuel driven air pumps.

if it has air and fuel.. it runs.

you didn't shut air off, and it has an engine filled with oil

oil is fuel....

i wish you good luck.. but.. if you get out with only head work I'd go buy a lottery ticket...

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #6  
She was running on motor oil , a run away diesel. Some scary videos on Utube . Had a diesel genset do that when the oil was over filled, plenty exciting!
A little late but if the injectors were pulled out prior to cranking it may have cleared the liquid in the top of the pistons. Good luck !

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #7  
Im no expert but search 'run away' diesel.

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #8  
Hey, welcome to TBN, too bad it was "under these circumstances"
I hope your repairs are cheap and soon. When the smoke has cleared, let us know how this happened on flat ground, and yes chit happens, real fast. No judgement on the "incedent" from me.

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #9  
Diesels will run away till they either run out of fuel, air or destroy themselves. They will even suck up engine oil to keep running and the only was to stop a runaway is to choke off the air to the engine. Easy to say here, but maybe not so easy when you have a runaway on your hands.

Placing a strong obstruction across the air intake sealing off the air should stop a runaway. A rag won't likely work but it can't do any harm. Years ago, I was watching an instructor show some students how to rebuild a diesel engine. He had a clip board who's only use was to seal off the air intake before an engine ran away. The problem we have is

A: realizing the engine is actually running away;

B: finding a suitable air block; and

C: having the intestinal fortitude to open the hood on a roaring engine.

I suggest anyone working on a diesel engine have a air blocker nearby. Sorry that won't likely help someone like the OP here who flipped his tractor.

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #10  
I flipped my little Steiner last summer. Yes, it's a very stressfull experience. Despite getting the thing shut off quite quickly, it was amazing how disorienting it is, just finding the key.

Hope repairs and downtime arn't too expensive.

My Kubota loader actually has the key operated fuel solenoid, plus an old school, emergency pull to shut off knob which is kind of nice to know.