Loader Flipped my L48 Kubota

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #11  
I hate to pile on, but there is a real good chance you bent a rod in your engine. Best not to start an engine that has been on its side without pulling either the glow plugs and/or injectors to eject any fluid that was in the tops of the cylinders. If your lucky all you did was lift the head which allowed coolant in. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
   / Flipped my L48 Kubota #12  
Two stories related to me...

One the farmer grabbed a piece of scrap 2x6 and covered the intake... engine started to loose rpm and finally quit... he said it seemed like forever as the motor raced.

The second is actually quite brilliant and simple... on a construction site a diesel powered pump went into runaway mode... the foreman ran from the job shack with a CO2 fire extinguisher... gave the intake a shot and stopped the motor...

I have a couple of CO2 extinguishers... just would need the presence of mind to react in a split second.

Some equipment has runaway emergency stop like my brother's ancient Mercedes Diesel... it's under the hood and had actuated.

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #13  
She was running on motor oil , a run away diesel. Some scary videos on Utube . Had a diesel genset do that when the oil was over filled, plenty exciting!
A little late but if the injectors were pulled out prior to cranking it may have cleared the liquid in the top of the pistons. Good luck !

pulling injectors wouldn't have fixed water in the crankcase...

there is a problem other than the runaway.

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #14  
I'm wondering if something snagged or blocked the throttle linkage as the machine went up on its side, speeding it up. The fact that closing the fuel valve eventually shut it down might mean it wasn't a classic runaway running on just crankcase oil. Running up on it's side the oil pump would lose pressure. The pistons would still be tossing oil around in there and there would be low load - so it might survive a while. The head could get hot if the water pump stopped circulating on its side?? I'm grabbing straws here. With VERY good luck there's a chance surfacing the head and a new gasket will fix it. Hoping for the best. Dick B

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #15  
I was thinking the water and other damage came after the righting and start up.

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #16  
Due to my work in the oilfields, it is mandatory to have a manual air shut off installed onto any and all diesel engines that have the potential to be working in an atmosphere of anywhere gas vapours can be discharged, to specifically shut engine down by blocking any and all incoming air or vapours. They are installed in-line, generally between air filter and intake on tractor and are cable actuated. they aren't cheap, but perhaps they do pay for themselves when required in situations.

Cheers

Roger

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota
My local machine shop won't be able to check or mill the head for at least ten days. So new head gasket comes tomorrow. I'm gone to put it in and keep my fingers crossed. Best scenario, save $200 on milling of head. Worst scenario, cost of milling and another $75 for second head gasket. I,ll keep everyone posted.
And I don't think it was running on motor oil because it shut down after i killed the fuel.

/ Flipped my L48 Kubota #18  
Get a straight edge and check the deck and the head. Try to slip a feeler gauge under the straight edge at various locations to get an idea of how out of flat if any.