Bx2200 axial ball joint replacement

/ Bx2200 axial ball joint replacement #1  

warment

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet RZT54
Just bought 2 new axial ball joints for my bx2200. I am having trouble unscrewing them from the hydraulic steering shaft as the shaft is rotating when I try to unscrew them. Is there a trick?

/ Bx2200 axial ball joint replacement #2  
On my dad's bx1500 there are flats machined into the end of the cylinders rod so it can be held with a wrench.
If it doesn't have the flats you can try.a rubber strap wrench at the end of the rod closest to the joint.
And I know it sounds stupid but doeble check the which way it's threaded, I'm not sure if they are left hand threads.

/ Bx2200 axial ball joint replacement #3  
Sometimes you can seat the old ball joint into the housing by tapping the rod end into the housing with a hammer. It may hold enough to get the nut off. If you are replacing the ball joint you can take a torch to the nut to expand it for more clearance as well to reduce the tendency to spin the joint in the hole.

I am assuming the old one is just worn out and sloppy. Before you remove the old one, measure from the end of the inside ball joint to a location mid point between both extremes of the "free play" and mark the housing and record the distance. When you put the new one in, adjust the ball joint so that the original distance is again obtained. That may give you the best chance of having the toe in setting correct. I hope that makes sense.

/ Bx2200 axial ball joint replacement #4  
Sometimes you can seat the old ball joint into the housing by tapping the rod end into the housing with a hammer. It may hold enough to get the nut off. If you are replacing the ball joint you can take a torch to the nut to expand it for more clearance as well to reduce the tendency to spin the joint in the hole.

I am assuming the old one is just worn out and sloppy. Before you remove the old one, measure from the end of the inside ball joint to a location mid point between both extremes of the "free play" and mark the housing and record the distance. When you put the new one in, adjust the ball joint so that the original distance is again obtained. That may give you the best chance of having the toe in setting correct. I hope that makes sense.
The problem appears to be where the tie rod end threads into the rod for the hyd. steering ram, not the spindle.

Don't put heat on the rod, it can damage the chrome plating.

/ Bx2200 axial ball joint replacement #6  
There are two flat spots on the end of the steering rod to hold it while you remove the joint.

/ Bx2200 axial ball joint replacement #7  
Just bought 2 new axial ball joints for my bx2200. I am having trouble unscrewing them from the hydraulic steering shaft as the shaft is rotating when I try to unscrew them. Is there a trick?

Are you talking about tie rod ends?

/ Bx2200 axial ball joint replacement
I am trying to remove the inner axial balls (that have the rubber boots attached to them) and the hydraulic steering ram/shaft is spinning when I turn the axial ball.

/ Bx2200 axial ball joint replacement #9  
I am trying to remove the inner axial balls (that have the rubber boots attached to them) and the hydraulic steering ram/shaft is spinning when I turn the axial ball.

Those are the tie-rod ends. Right behind the tie rod end, on the right side, and the exposed part of the cylinder shaft you will find two flat spots on the cylinder shaft to place a wrench to hold the shaft from spinning.

Last edited: