Time to Replace My Seat

/ Time to Replace My Seat #1  

Liquidsilver

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M5400
I've gained tons of experience in my first year of large (to me) tractor ownership... and thanks in part to people on this forum for the friendly counsel, I've really enjoyed maintaining my own gravel road, clearing off broken trees, re-grading a mess left by a sloppy highlift operator and mowing my 60 - 80 acres of rough Ozark fields.

I love my old (but new to me) girl as much as my motorbikes and guns. :laughing:

30lcso2.jpg

It's a '99 M5400 DT

So the seat on this old girl doesn't look too bad, but it's only got one bolt left holding it together... and the seat tray tips forward as it hits bumps. I saw the OEM seat assembly on Messicks and, yikes, $1000... wow.

I've seen the seats at the farm supply stores for 100 bucks and they look a LOT better than what I have... and I'm not afraid to try it for 100 bucks, but it doesn't have a seat belt. I believe in seat belts, especially mowing over the rough holes in the fields... for fear that if I got thrown out of the saddle, it's not far into the path of the drive wheels and mowing deck behind... soooooo...

Question is: should I risk running without the seat belt, or should I try to gerry rig a seat belt in there? I'm not much of a fabricator.

Thanks.

/ Time to Replace My Seat #2  
I will trade you a seat,,, and raise you a seat belt,,,,

4105%20seat_zpsg8ehlpjp.jpg

Check eBay for seats,,, they have LOTS of options, there,,,

Did the bolts just fall out,, or rust out,,,??

If you are not a fabricator,,, the dealer may be your ONLY option.

/ Time to Replace My Seat #3  
How is your existing seat belt mounted? If fastened to the seat, can't you unbolt it and mount it to the new seat or better yet to the tractor frame.

/ Time to Replace My Seat #4  
I'd have belts. All you'd need is an inexpensive ($15) aftermarket belt and a couple of mounting locations and stout bolts.

/ Time to Replace My Seat
I've looked on ebay and it looks like the $100 model is pretty common around... called 'suspension seat' and they don't look too bad in the stores (Tractor Seat Yellow John Deere Farm Tractors Universal Fit Suspension Seat | eBay)

and then there's a $300 job like this 'bog boy' seat... Big Boy Suspension Tractor Seat-Yellow, For John Deere Models | eBay
and it has a seatbelt.

The seatbelt on my current one is mounted to the seat frame assembly and the bolts look like they were pot metal and broken out. I don't think there's any point to just mounting a new seat to the new seat frame.

- -

Wow, I just found the aftermarket seat belt options on ebay. I'll bet I could mount one of those pretty handily. Hmm...

/ Time to Replace My Seat #6  
... the bolts look like they were pot metal and broken out.

That must be a comforting thought. :eek:

Your location says STL, but you mentioned mowing Ozark fields. Guessing your tractor is outstate somewhere? There is a thread called Missouri Roll Call - Show Me. You might make yourself known there. It's quite possible that someone else is near enough to perhaps give you a hand with the seatbelt installation.

/ Time to Replace My Seat
Thank you, yes. I live and work in STL, but my heart, property and tractor are out near Steelville.

/ Time to Replace My Seat #8  
   / Time to Replace My Seat #9  
Thank you, yes. I live and work in STL, but my heart, property and tractor are out near Steelville.

Nice. Love that area. One of my favorite motorcycle rides is MO-21 south to Potosi, then west along MO-8 to Steelville, through the northern part of the Mark Twain Forest. Not complete without a stop at Missouri Hick BBQ, either. Beautiful area out there.

/ Time to Replace My Seat #10  
I just bought a seat belt from ebay to replace the rusted out mechanism on my mini excavator. The OEM belt assembly was around 150. I paid about 20 bucks and was a bit surprised that there was a Kubota part number on the seat belt tag. It bolted up with two bolts and replaced the old one nicely. Hopefully you can add one to yours with minimal fiddling.