Time to Replace My Seat

/ Time to Replace My Seat
I found the seat that was on it... Seat Assembly for Kubota Tractor M-Series #QA | eBay
If that's what it looks like new, somebody sure beat the heck out of it.

Thanks for the responses, all. After taking the existing seat off (it sure weighs a ton) I might be able to save the bolt-on seat belt that was on it... maybe I can find an angle iron or something to mount it with.

I'm going to try the universal $100-dollar model at TSC and I'll let you know...

Nice. Love that area. One of my favorite motorcycle rides is MO-21 south to Potosi, then west along MO-8 to Steelville, through the northern part of the Mark Twain Forest. Not complete without a stop at Missouri Hick BBQ, either. Beautiful area out there.

Brother, I leave more motorcycle tire rubber on those roads every Sunday. LOL My favorites are the goat-trails that connect up with those roads.

Last edited:
   / Time to Replace My Seat
So I got the cheap Tractor Supply Co seat to fit, but it was far from universal for my M5400.

I didn't have a plate to work with, so I cut slide rails out of the bottom of the OEM seat, and mounted them transversely as a mount for the much smaller base of the new seat.

28qt7i1.jpg

There was a little bit of puzzle work and drilling in the old rails to get all the pieces to fit, but it came together nicely.

rbyxw0.jpg

The trick was how to mount the seat belts. I didn't have anything in the barn to work with, without lots of hacksaw (by hand) cutting, so I wandered around the hardware store until I came up with an idea. For some reason, flexible seemed like a good idea to me, so instead of bending hard steel pieces, I ended up with metal shelf brackets that I stacked and drilled. They seem to have the right amount of flex to bend and stay where I put them, but hopefully they won't prove too flimsy.

15q93k8.jpg

2l9s4gh.jpg

zo719x.jpg

So, like I said... I'm a pretty crappy and scrappy fabricator, but I'm pretty happy with the way everything came out, so I wanted to share for what it's worth... and the price was right.

I did a little road grading in the new seat, and it sits a little too tall, but otherwise feels pretty good and solid.