BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
Can anyone share their insights on the new BX23S backhoe capabilities? I'm strongly considering the BX23S. I don't really need tractor capabilities, more interested in the BH. I need to decide if the BH will meet some of my needs. Some stump digging, various landscape projects from time to time, etc. Just looking for some jobs you guys have been able to accomplish with the little thing. I really appreciate it. Trying to decide by tomorrow, Lol.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #2  
If you are not interested in pulling implements or using the FEL much it seems you should be looking at renting or buying a mini excavator.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities
If you are not interested in pulling implements or using the FEL much it seems you should be looking at renting or buying a mini excavator.

Not an option, thanks.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #4  
I have the BX25D.

Stumps? Depends on the size of the stump, and how long you have. You won't be ripping them out of the ground. You'll dig and dig and dig around them, and you'll be cutting any big roots. Took me most of a day to get one small cedar stump out. Maybe 12" across at the cut. If the roots are already rotted, yeah, it could do that. An oak? Fuggedaboudit.

I have a bunch more to do, and I'll be grinding them out.

It does great on digging trenches. I've put in a few hundred feet of french drain with it, have more planned, plus some utility trenches.

It's handy at ripping out brush, too.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #5  
May need a bit more info to give you the best info. I have a BX25 and it is good little machine. I use it for light work and light landscaping and it does a great job. It does very little damage to the lawn and fits in places larger machines won't. I have taken out a several stumps - up to around 20-24" - not huge but all hardwoods. It will do it, just takes time, maybe 2 + hrs in some cases more, just depends.
If you have may stumps or a lot of dirt to move, rent a full size backhoe or a Mini Ex. I have a mini ex and it is to the BX what the BX is to a shovel. I did some landscaping behind my shop recently - dug out to but a rock retaining wall in. No idea the volume of dirt I moved but I filled my 12k 12' dump trailer 9 or 10 times. Took a full day on the mini to dig, smooth and dress the area, on the BX I would be there a month due to the size and not have a 360 rotation (worked on a hill reaching down to scoop and having to fill the trailer on the high side. - 36" ditching bucket)

Geez, all day to dig around a 12'' stump? I understand I have to dig around a stump to loosen it up and probably cut some trouble roots, I'm fine with that. Can always loosen it up and pull it with my bigger tractor. But all day for a stump? I must be underestimating 2000 pound digging force. But this is the feed back I'm looking for. Thank you.

May need a bit more info to give you the best info.

This BX23S would be replacing my BX1870. I want it for the small BH. If I get the 23S I will also be mowing with it as the 1870 was primarily for mowing. I haven't used the loader on the 1870 since new. I have a larger tractor for heavier loader, grading or snow removal work. Just would like the BH for small to medium stump removal and whatever else comes along in the future. I'm ok with it taking longer for some jobs, just curious how strong it is and its capabilities.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #8  
I've found stump removal to be highly variable. Soil type and moisture are important factors. I have heavy clay soil and a substantially larger tractor. In dry conditions even small stumps 44-6in can be a struggle, in we conditions I can sometimes peel them right out.

Of all my implements the backhoe is the least predictable as far as performance. Some projects go great some are a struggle.

YMMV

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #9  
Folk`s, dont underestimate the BX23S, its a VERY amazing tractor. I own a BX23S, i dug out 4 huge stumps last weekend and this past weekend. I have the optional 16in hoe scoop. I live next to a huge creek, very gravely, not much clay surprisingly. The smallest stump i started digging was 2ft diameter, largest was 3-1/2ft in diameter. It took me only about 2 to 2-1/2hrs each to dig out around them.

After my digging was accomplished, i then wrapped a log chain as tight as i could, completely around the lower base`s of the stumps. (get your chain as low as possible) Then i put a 25ft long log chain over the top of the centers of the stump(s) and hooked it to the chain around the base, the BX rolled them right up out of the holes with no problem. I did dig a small ramp into the ground with the hoe to aid in rolling the stumps up out of the holes. When you hook your top chain on, go over past the top of the stump away from the tractor... use the chain as a camming action to roll the stump towards the tractor during pulling.

Just some advice, knock off as much dirt from the stumps as possible before pulling them up out of the hole, thats half the weight that your working against if you dont. If you dont dig the hole to large, you can reach out and use the bucket to rock the stump to wiggle it loose. Once its loose, its ready to be pulled & rolled up out of the hole.

One thing to keep in mind, you can start rolling the stump up from the hole with your BX, then have a helper shovel some dirt under the stump as your working on pulling it out of the hole. Reason you want to do that is, if the chain slips off (and it usually does) the stump wont roll back down from where you started from. It will save you the time you already spent if it slips off the chains. If your helper keeps dirt under the stump when you pull it with the BX, it is less likely to go back down into the hole you dug. Make sure your helper is clear from the stump during pulling. It wouldn`t be very nice of you to bury your helper... then again, if you dont like the person, that`d be an excellent time to get rid of him/her...lol.

The best advice i can give you on how to take stumps out, work smarter not harder. Dont dig a hole bigger than you actually need, thats unnecessary work and added time you dont need to waste. Make sure you have 3 large logging chains... you`ll use 2 for pulling the stump out, the 3rd chain is just to pull a stuck chain free. And for liability reasons, get the hole filled back in as quick as you can. People are sue happy today.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #10  
This BX23S would be replacing my BX1870. I want it for the small BH. If I get the 23S I will also be mowing with it as the 1870 was primarily for mowing. I haven't used the loader on the 1870 since new. I have a larger tractor for heavier loader, grading or snow removal work. Just would like the BH for small to medium stump removal and whatever else comes along in the future. I'm ok with it taking longer for some jobs, just curious how strong it is and its capabilities.

GenLee,
you will be VERY impressed with the BX23S. The BX1870 isn`t near the machine that the BX23S is. Buy it..! You wont be sorry.
It is a VERY strong tractor... i was very surprised on what a powerhouse it is for its size. I got the quick-attach FEL on mine.
Its capabilities will amaze you.