BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #21  
having a bx24 for many years--- i find that its really no trouble to drop the bh and fel to do mowing. i do leave my mmm on at times when using the bh -- most of the time i dont need the clearance underneath or deck sticking out the side - but thats the beauty of the bx -- its has " implements" not a attached mower deck, permanent mounted bh .etc . you can just go by whats your needs are that day and decide - do i leave it on or drop it.
in a single day i have tilled with BX with MMM, dropped tiller - mowed the lawn, hooked up the FEL picked up grass clippings with it and dumped in compost, hooked up a BH for a small stump, left mmm on and then disconnected everything (fel,BH,mmm) and attached post hole digger for a job next day and loaded the trailer . gonna push 50 soon.. np !

i wouldnt sweat the details buddy -- if you want a bx with BH - go for it. even if you finish everything you wanted the BH for - it will still be useful once awhile for the rest of your life as long the tractor is still running. no rental fees to deal with and no racing renting clock, dropping it off all clean or dealing with deposit and stuff.

There you go. :thumbsup:Man with many years experience telling of being a satisfied customer. I had owned many BXs before buying the first BX25 and loved my first BX25, not so much the second BX25D1.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #22  
It's a Sub Compact Utility Tractor just like your BX1870. The BH on the SCUT is good for home landscaping as is the FEL. The SCUT isn't as good for mowing as are the F and Zero turn mowers and shouldn't be. It's a SCUT and the BX23/24/25/23S are the Swiss Army knife of tractors. It does a bunch of different things but none of them as good as the jobs dedicated machines nor should it.
Digging stumps with a BX?? BH is a task that is doable but very time consuming and as already has been pointed out a stump in sand can be removed much quicker than a stump in clay and size and type root structure/tap root/feeder roots all make a difference. Anyone comparing sizes of tree stump alone in time it took has no clue as to tree structure and soil makeup. I've spent hours on a 12" stump and under hours on 24" stumps so no way to compare them but the BX?? will always be slower than a B or L or B21/26 heavier stronger hydraulics machine which cost more.
I'm an old supporter of BXs but they are what they are. I'd much rather have a BX23s than a BX18?? because of the BH but it costs more and twice on the BX series I felt it was worth paying the difference but it didn't match the BH on my B nor did the BX cost as much or weigh as much as the B.
Love what you got and compare what you have actual experience with in similiar situations but book reading/sales brochures don't match actual on the ground personal experience. Some times it's best to not try and compare but to tell ones actual experience with clear description of working conditions and how many helpers it took to do the job. I almost always work alone and it makes a big difference vs having helpers which is OK as long as it's told so everyone can understand and then make their own decision and not take everything someone else does different so personal. :2cents:

Nice accurate write up John. You hit on a couple things that i didnt.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities
OP here - I appreciate everyone's input and experience. I decided to pull the trigger. Should have it today. Having owned a B3200, now a L4400 and BX1870, I'm comfortable with the capabilities of the BX23S. Just don't have BH experience so thats why I asked.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #24  
OP here - I appreciate everyone's input and experience. I decided to pull the trigger. Should have it today. Having owned a B3200, now a L4400 and BX1870, I'm comfortable with the capabilities of the BX23S. Just don't have BH experience so thats why I asked.

Congrat`s...!!!! It will impress you GenLee. I couldnt be happier with mine. Take your time learning the BH, you`ll be amazed once you learn what you can do with it. I hadn`t run a BH in quite a few years, didnt take long to figure it out. I came from the old school BH, bunch of sticks on a valve. This new stuff is so much easier to run. You will be just fine.

Just food for thought here:
When you take delivery of the new BX, pick up some PowerService Diesel Kleen (silver bottle) and dump a couple oz`s right into the diesel fuel tank. Nobody knows how long that tractor sat with fuel in it from factory to the dealership, and how long the dealer had it sitting in inventory. Some people will disagree with my statement, but just do it, you`ll be better off.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities
Just food for thought here:
When you take delivery of the new BX, pick up some PowerService Diesel Kleen (silver bottle) and dump a couple oz`s right into the diesel fuel tank. Nobody knows how long that tractor sat with fuel in it from factory to the dealership, and how long the dealer had it sitting in inventory. Some people will disagree with my statement, but just do it, you`ll be better off.

Copy that. Always keep a bottle on hand.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #28  

Congrats! I was in the same place as you. I have been around tractors most of my life, but had never used a BH before I got the 23S. It is pretty easy to figure out, and for the size, it does a really nice job. I am sure you will happy with your purchase. One thing you may want to check is the hydraulic pressure. If you bump it up to about 1950 psi or so, you will see a difference in how much it can do. Just a thought.

/ BX23S / BX25 Back hoe capabilities #30  
I'll just add that if your trees haven't been cut yet, leave the stump 3 or 4 feet high so you can use it as a lever. Dig some, push/pull on the stump, dig some more and repeat. I sometimes use the FEL to push the stump over as far as it will go from various directions in between digging with the hoe. Speeds things up quite a bit.