Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant?

/ Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant? #11  
Hi gxsr1100 ,

I don't mean to start anything here but anti freezes of different colors ARE NOT the same . If you get a old copy of "Cooling Jounal Magazine" they had quite a article on this subject . For instance , The new "orange" coolant used in the newer GM cars for example, is consider to be a 100,000 mile coolant . If you add the wrong color coolant to a newer GM car ,that uses this orange mix ,you just voided your warranty on the cooling system and maybe even the drive train !
"All" coolant colors have different amounts of ingredients in them . That is why there colored in the first place . To tell the mechanic what type it is .Some you can mix and some you should not ! Again, I am not trying to start something here ,but it is what I did everyday for 10 years and as far as I know ,nothing has changed.
Respectfully,
Big Al

/ Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant?
Gary, thanks. i thought i hadnt seen a thermostat in the manual (ive read it, all 50 pages /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) is the oil drain plug also on that side of the engine right at the base of the sump.

Al, i think you must have run a very good radiator shop, although i have never even seen on around here, no-one seems to do anything or give you anything for free. i have a dehumidifier that i plan to get my distilled water from, ill ask at work on saturday if he has the tools to check radiators, id be surprised if he didnt, he has everything else!!
thanks

/ Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant? #13  
<font color="blue">i thought i hadnt seen a thermostat in the manual (ive read it, all 50 pages ) is the oil drain plug also on that side of the engine right at the base of the sump.
</font>

Yes, they are very close to each other...... Check out page 9!!!!!

Gary

thanks, must have missed that bit /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
i would have to drain all the oil out first though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
one thing that i dont get, it refers to a pilot lamp which lights up when the oil pressure isnt good enough
where is it? is it the one above the key? thats the only light i see....
thanks again

/ Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant? #15  
That would be it. It should light when the engine is not running but the key is in the on position. Should go out after engine has started. If it is not lighting, check the bulb, they tend to get a lot of corrosion in the socket.

Gary

ummm well thats the problem, it stays on......
nuts, i had hoped it wasnt that one /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
clean the filter... may that help, then what

/ Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant? #17  
Check the oil pressure switch, it is located on the left side of the engine, near the back of the block just below the head. Unplug it and see if the light goes out, if it does not it is a short in the wiring. If it does go out, remove it, make sure the oil passage is not clogged. If it is clear, test it by applying pressure (you can use compressed air, it should only take a few pounds of pressure) and see if there is still continuity across the switch. If you cannot break continuity the the switch itself may me bad.

If all checks out, get a mechanical oil pressure gauge to test the engine.

Gary

Thanks, been thinking about it though, i dont really look down there when it running to be honest, and i would have noticed it if it was on. i may leave it till i get the coolant in and running again. May aswell check the swich anyway though
thanks

took wire off and the light went out, so the wiring is fine.

/ Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant? #20  
Then you need to verify that the light is staying on when the engine is running. Although you could start it without coolant, I would not recommend it.

Gary