Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant?

/ Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant?
Flushed out the radiator and block today. lots of chunks came out the block, and it looks pretty corroded inside. i would guess thats from lack of antifreeze. all running clear now. a lot of rust particles came from the radiator, again all clear now.

/ Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant? #22  
This would be a good time to check the hoses and clamps too. I would at least replace the clamps, I can tell you that if the lower hose blows off that B6000, it can cause some nasty burns, don't ask how I know!!!!! Did I mention you should replace the clamps? Get her filled up with a good 50 / 50 mix of antifreeze and get that oil pressure issue looked at.

Gary

Gary thanks for the advice, the clamps look good but, best safe than sorry....ill get some from work tomorrow
seeing as it dont get too cold around here do you think i could skimp up abit on the antifreze, say 65/35, or go 50/50?
as i say i can remember wether the oil light goes out, i hope so, this tractor sure getting more and more expensive. Ive used £5 worth of grease already!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
btw the flow going through the radiator was very good, at last a good sign /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant? #24  
I think you are going to find once you get through this "new owner cleanup" things will become more economical! I would go 50 /50 not for the protection from freezing but since it does not appear to have had antifreeze for a while. The added protection against corrosion might be worth it. BigAl might give you some advice on that.

Gary

/ Can anyone tell a tractors fortune by its coolant? #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( seeing as it dont get too cold around here do you think i could skimp up abit on the antifreze, say 65/35, or go 50/50?
)</font>

If memory serves me correctly your coolant serves to keep the tractor from over heating as well as freezing. I wouldn't really be tempted to stray far from the recommended 50 / 50 mix. It's an investiment in longevity.

Just my opinion! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

50/50 it is, thanks
i remember reading somewher it raised the bioling temp of the water or summat, but it doesnt have the cooling properties of water.
thanks

replaced water today, had problem with the top hose to the block. its pretty corroded and pitted. a large chunk is broken off, looks like someone in the past over tightened it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
ran it till it was warm and no leaks to be seen. put in 50/50 mix, good to -60oC /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
oil pressure light stays on so thats tomorrows task /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
quite fun driving it though, thats why i bought it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif