Glow plug indicator not heating up - why?

/ Glow plug indicator not heating up - why? #1  

orange1

I have a Kubota B7200. The glow plug indicator has always heated up within 15 secs. or so and the tractor would start right up. Today, the glow plug indicator would not heat up even after waiting 1 minute and the tractor wouldn't start. Finally it started. I shut it down and let it sit and tried it again. Still, the glow plug indicator did not heat up. Why is this happening?

/ Glow plug indicator not heating up - why? #2  
Sounds like your preheat isn't completing its cycle. Can you troubleshoot via OM or net?

/ Glow plug indicator not heating up - why? #3  
Orange1 I realize that you are a new member but you should refrain from asking for the same information in more than one forum. You posted the same question in buying/pricing/comparisons. It confuses some members, and believe me we are already confused enough as it is. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Welcome to the TBN site.

/ Glow plug indicator not heating up - why? #4  
When a glow plug on my Iseki goes, the indicator will not glow. Remove a plug and apply 12 v to it, if it heats up, try the next one. Chances are that one will not glow and therefore the "circuit" to the indicator is incomplete. Have used this method twice with good results. Remember to ground the threads of the plug and then apply the 12v directly to the end post. Hope this helps.

/ Glow plug indicator not heating up - why? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 12 v to it, if it )</font>

Make sure you have a 12v glow plug. Some are 6v and use a drop resistor. You'll end up with more bad plugs than you started with. Got the T-shirt.

/ Glow plug indicator not heating up - why? #6  
And keep your fingers away from the hot end of the glow plug. Don't know which end is hot? Put power to it and you'll find out real quick.

/ Glow plug indicator not heating up - why? #7  
Well, I don't have a kubota but I'm sure the system is similar. Can you hear the timer complete it's cycle (click)? If you can't it may just be the timer relay.

/ Glow plug indicator not heating up - why? #8  
I have an Iseki that starts but the indicator does not work either. Will a 3 cylinder start if only one glow plug is bad? If it's just a completed circuit issue can you not check it with a continuity tester? Does anyone know a source for reasonably priced glow plugs? I've heard some of the horror stories about their costs.

Thanks in advance for your input guys.

/ Glow plug indicator not heating up - why? #9  
Glo Plugs should not cost more then $10 in my opinion. The best way to test one is to read the current draw in each plug which typically would be approximately 5-10 amps DC and will decrease as the plug heats up. The second way to test is to remove the plug and jumper 12volts (usually) and watch it glo (not feel it). They are shaped much like a spark plug. If one plug is bad in your tractor it will still start but you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference when they are all working. Here in the south we don't need them very much except for this WINTER. This morning on the coast of South Carolina my purple martins are hunkered down and it is cold!

/ Glow plug indicator not heating up - why? #10  
I have a B6200 and you might want to check to make sure you have voltage to the indicator on the dash. Never been into mine but it should be wired in parellel with the glow plugs when you turn the key to the left. If you have a test light, put tape or tubing around end of probe and stick it on the indicator through the hole making sure not to short out coil on sides.

If not , you might have to get into dash to check further.

This is all asuming the after you turn the key to the left for 20 seconds and try to start that it starts.

arkydog