heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #21  
That's an 8 yr old thread, it's probably in second grade by now.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #22  
For what it痴 worth, the local dealer transports my BX23 on a flat bed truck. The bed extends and tilts, the driver moves the BX onto the truck bed, sets the parking brake leaving the BX at a very precarious angle! The brake always holds. He then places the truck bed into its original position, having accomplished this task he continues by placing a binding strap, material composition unknown approximately 3-4 inches wide across the center of the BX - or maybe I should say the floor board area. After a quick ratchet of the binding strap, off he goes with the BX.

I must add that this is no small dealer they have very large equipment in addition to the Kubota line. I would say that they are a major player in the central Western Ohio region.

I believe you mean a "ROLLBACK TRUCK," like AAA uses to pick up cars, right? Flat beds don't "extend and tilt," and are generally seen behind semis.

Interesting that the floorboards on the SCUT are not damaged by the ratchet tie.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #23  
I have use pieces of fire hose to protect equipment from chains. It works well.
Do be sure the fire is out before you cut the hose, otherwise the fireman get mad.:fiery:

Bill

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #24  
I have chains Gr70 from HF and find them plenty good for transport. I also have ratchet binder (9200# rating) that I use for fastening. I have hauled my 10,000# tractor with FEL with them several times without a problem. As a matter of fact, I was using one of those chains trying to pull out a fully loaded 14 yd dump truck when I broke the drawbar attachment off my tractor, but didn't hurt the chain even though it was jerking heavily on the chain as all four wheels bit into the dirt. It was the jerk that broke the attachment but not the chain. While other HF tools may be cheap, I think their chains and binders are as good as any you will get at other places. Most all the chain sold is foreign made with very few exceptions and you will pay triple or better for US made (if you can find it). Use the 3/8" Gr. 70 on your CUT with 4 corner tie down and it will still be tied on to the trailer when it hits the bottom of the canyon (should you loose the trailer )
If you are worried about the paint, put a sleeve over it but I am not a fan of covering up something so it cant be visually inspected. I would prefer to use a softener material on the tractor where the chains pass. You could ty-rap a piece of fire hose or some sections from an old tire to the attachment point (front axles/ rear axles) to keep the chains from rubbing.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #25  
No, but cheap and/or improperly heat-treated steel can have metallurgical failures. I hope not in your case, but for lifts/hoists/chains (or even straps) I don't feel guilty spending top dollar for name brands.

I guess we all have our own, individual demons--no offense intended, re: your choice.
Why do folks automatically assume that because it comes from HF that it is improperly treated or metallurgical defective. Does anyone have real life experience where a chain from China or India failed prior to reaching the required tensile strength. Folks here are talking about mostly small CUT tractors that weigh less than 4000 pounds with all attachments and using 4 chains rated at 6600 WLL and 24,600# tensile and still worried about failure of a chain.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #27  
Some of my straps are 10 years old or more. One can probably find equal stories about chains coming loose. I am sure all my straps are from China as I likely bought them at Princess Auto. Nylon straps should not frey unless they come in contact with a sharpe edge which is not the fault of the strap. I do use both but you sometimes need two chains and a load binder to secure one corner. Then you need to wire things up so if things come loose you don't loose a heavy piece of steel on the hyway. Another nice thing about rachet straps is when you stop for a load check, its much easier to tighten things up over chains\loadbinders which require removing safety wires, pulling out a lever bar for added torque, etc.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #28  
If you search my pictures you will find custom made brackets for chaining down my tractor. I have installed these on all my tractors over the years. Chains & binders are the way to go! I wouldnt haul my tractor without them period!

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #29  
I've had some Sam's Club 3 inch wide straps for many years. No problems using them when I had a Kubota B3030. I've used them a couple of times with the Bobcat skid steer. No issues so far.
But I don't haul often or far. I did have a friend give me some heavy duty military chain binders. Trouble is, I've only got one chain, about a 20 footer. I may try those sometime if I stumble upon a deal on chains at an auction or some such.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #30  
But I don't haul often or far. QUOTE]

Years ago a friend asked me to check out a small semi auto pistol that he intended to carry for protection. After testing it, I told him that it only worked about 50% of the time, and I wouldn't recommend carrying it. He replied that it should be OK because he wouldn't carry it often. I told him only to carry it during the working 50% period.
If you can trust the straps to travel one mile, you should be able to trust them to go 100 mi. If you don't trust them 100% , I wouldn't use them.

Best, Bill