heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( look for them at www.harborfreight.com
got my chains/binders there and they work well.
free shipping on orders over 50 bucks.
ps, chains don't fray )</font>
Your a braver man than me /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #12  
Harbor Freight, can't remember buying anything from them that didn't fail well before its time. They are the China import kings of tools and just about everything under the sun.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #13  
Look up riggers or rigging supply in the yellow-pages. They will have a much better quality material than HF does. They can build to suit what you need - exactly, and much cheaper than you would think. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #14  
I use chains and binders all the way! I just don't trust straps. I hook into the frame mount holes fo the MMM as we don't use a MMM. i bind up front on the frame just behind the brush guard and sometimes over the rear attachment!

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Harbor Freight, can't remember buying anything from them that didn't fail well before its time. They are the China import kings of tools and just about everything under the sun. )</font>

Amen! Only by shear luck am I still alive after a set of their spring compressors broke with a coil spring compressed in my lap. I feel that they are only good to supply "disposable" tools for on the road tool kits.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #16  
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #17  
For what it’s worth, the local dealer transports my BX23 on a flat bed truck. The bed extends and tilts, the driver moves the BX onto the truck bed, sets the parking brake leaving the BX at a very precarious angle! The brake always holds. He then places the truck bed into its original position, having accomplished this task he continues by placing a binding strap, material composition unknown approximately 3-4 inches wide across the center of the BX - or maybe I should say the floor board area. After a quick ratchet of the binding strap, off he goes with the BX.

I must add that this is no small dealer they have very large equipment in addition to the Kubota line. I would say that they are a major player in the central Western Ohio region.

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #18  
Confucius say,
"He who compress spring in lap may sing tenor in choir"

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Dargo just posted an experience worth reading and remembering:

Ratcheting tie downs BROKE in transit!

I doubt that if I trailer my tractors I will ever use anything but chains after reading Dargo's experience... )</font>

That was very well written indeed ! Still would not consider using chains but that is just personal preference /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Heck the yard I used to rent from would bring out sub cut tractors with only one chain on them driving a twisty hill climb. To me that was to much faith in the " chain". Just remember " BE SAFE"

The link to "Dargo's experience" didn't work for me. Any help much appreciated.

My Hoe

/ heavy ratchet straps vs chain binders question #20  
look for them at www.harborfreight.com
got my chains/binders there and they work well.
free shipping on orders over 50 bucks.
ps, chains don't fray

No, but cheap and/or improperly heat-treated steel can have metallurgical failures. I hope not in your case, but for lifts/hoists/chains (or even straps) I don't feel guilty spending top dollar for name brands.

I guess we all have our own, individual demons--no offense intended, re: your choice.