Kubota Skid Steer QA Question?

/ Kubota Skid Steer QA Question? #1  

North GA

Tractor
Kubota L3130 DT FEL
I bought a L3130DT with a LA723 skid steer QA FEL a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a pallet fork, tree boom, hay fork and grapple from Piranha and received them today. The Kubota QA pins must be a good bit smaller than the skid steer loader pins. I have at least a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap between the pins and the bottom slots where the pins fit. In fact, the pallet fork has already detached at the bottom where the pins connect. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to correct the situation?

I can't understand why Kubota would promote a skid steer compatable hook up when a standard skid steer implement won't fit. The pins don't appear to fit properly on the FEL bucket. There is only about 3/4" of the tapered pin that extends beyond lower slotted hole.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

/ Kubota Skid Steer QA Question? #2  
I have Bobcat pallet forks and snowbucket for my LA723 loader with skid steer quick attach. Both fit perfectly with no change in adjustments from my Kubota bucket. Maybe Piranha equipment requires the wedge pins to be adjusted lower.

OrangeGuy

/ Kubota Skid Steer QA Question? #3  
I would not suspect the skid steer adaptor…
I bought a set of 48” pallet forks from Pirranha a few years ago, They fit a little too tight on the left side. I think the jig they use is ‘not quite square’. I had to grind a little out to get the taper pins to cam over and lock. You have the opposite problem… You may have to shim the top slightly to get the bottom tight enough. I have a lot of other manufacturers attachments, they all fit perfect from the start. No adjustment needed.
I can hear you now… I shouldn’t have to modify a new pallet fork. That is right but shipping is so high it is probably going to be your best fix. Good luck, KennyV.

/ Kubota Skid Steer QA Question? #4  
North GA said:
I bought a L3130DT with a LA723 skid steer QA FEL a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a pallet fork, tree boom, hay fork and grapple from Piranha and received them today. The Kubota QA pins must be a good bit smaller than the skid steer loader pins. I have at least a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap between the pins and the bottom slots where the pins fit. In fact, the pallet fork has already detached at the bottom where the pins connect. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to correct the situation?

I can't understand why Kubota would promote a skid steer compatable hook up when a standard skid steer implement won't fit. The pins don't appear to fit properly on the FEL bucket. There is only about 3/4" of the tapered pin that extends beyond lower slotted hole.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Maybe tell your dealer. If Kubota is promoting the product as compatable, and they aren't, maybe "they" need to tell them to check the specs and make sure they are being built right. Maybe Piranha is overwhelmed with orders and is "outsourcing" and not able to do the quality control.

/ Kubota Skid Steer QA Question?
Thanks for the replys. I talked to Piranha today and they are sending extra slot plates so I can weld them and close up the gap on the wedge pins.

I also spent a couple of hours looking at old threads about this problem. I saw that several people have had issues with equipment coming loose when back dragging. Most indicate that the wedge pins tips are all that hold the bottom of the attachment. If you have the Kubota skid steer quick attach system, please let me know how much of the wedge pin contacts the slot. It looks to me that to hold the pressure generated by using even a standard Kubota FEL bucket that most all of the wedge surface should be used. On my new Kubota bucket only about 3/4 inch of the wedge pin surface extends beyond the top of the slot.

Thanks

/ Kubota Skid Steer QA Question? #6  
You are correct. On my QA about 80% (maybe 90%) of the wedge surface extends below the lower attachment slot. The locking cam handle causes FIRM contact with the QA implement at about half closure, then applying pressure further rotates the cam handle completely so that springs are engaged and the handle does not bounce/release when operating the implement. The implement is very solidly attached to the QA and has never come loose under back dragging or any operation. I believe that the key is to have the wedge of the pin engage fully and be under significant pressure when the cam handle is completely rotated into the "closed" position. I suspect that you need to have at least 50% of the wedge surface below the slot for sufficient mechanical strength.

/ Kubota Skid Steer QA Question?
Well I found out why my LA723 Skid steer QA loader won't accept skid steer equipment. I took the bale spear that the wedge pins on my LA723 lacked 1/2" touching the bottom latch plate to my son's Kubota M9540 QA loader. The hay spear fit perfect on his QA loader. His pins are much larger and look to be a little longer but I didn't measure. They seat in the latch plate perfectly.

If you are like me and expect the skid steer eqt. to fit the smaller loaders, you might be suprised. I am going to weld another latch plate to fill the gap. I don't think it is worth the effort to try to get Kubota to admit there is a difference in their loaders. It's probably easier to spend my time welding.

/ Kubota Skid Steer QA Question? #8  
North GA

I have had the same issues with my grapple & snow plow with my L-39.
As you noted, I welded a piece of 1/4" angle iron below the pin catch hole, and it works fine. I'll post a couple of photos to give you the idea.

WALT

Attachments

• 100_1177.jpg
    100_1177.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 780
  • 100_0481.jpg
    100_0481.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 784
   / Kubota Skid Steer QA Question? #9  
Kubota is sending all dealers a" jig" to check the aftermarket attachments to see if they are actually made to industry specs. i have not recieved mine yet, but I have noticed that true skid steer and bobcat attachments seem to fit properly. Every failure we have had has been while using an aftermarket attachment from joe or bobs welding shop. I suspect that is where the problems are occuring.

/ Kubota Skid Steer QA Question? #10  
On my LA723 with QA the poorest fit is with the Kubota bucket. The upper hook is welded at the wrong angle so that the adapter does not lay flat against the bucket when I first pick it up. The pins won't enter the slots in that case. I have to lift and curl and bounce it some to get it to lie flat. I will get a sledge hammer and "adjust" it one of these days

My third party equipment fit just fine. I did have to shim the springs with some washers to limit pin travel when locked otherwise they would cam out when back dragging. That took 8 washers and 30 minutes to solve.

Vernon