L48 exhaust conversion to stack discharge

/ L48 exhaust conversion to stack discharge #1  
Tractor
Kubota L48
Although a whiff of diesel exhaust triggers good feelings in me, I don’t want to smell it all day.
Has anyone converted the side exhaust discharge on an L48 to a stack discharge, or otherwise found a way to direct the exhaust further away from the operator?

/ L48 exhaust conversion to stack discharge #2  
Perhaps a PICTURE(!) of your set-up would help find a solution.;) Just kidding.

I personally love the smell of the diesel. I have an upward exhaust. At the tip of it it is elbowed forward. I really don't have an overbearing smell except when first starting it in the barn.

I guess I'm really absolutely no help at all.

/ L48 exhaust conversion to stack discharge #3  
I just went to Kubota's website. I can't see the exhaust set-up for the L48. Is it some sort of down exhaust? I guess that WOULD be a bit annoying.

By the way, OWD, why don't you fill in your profile?

/ L48 exhaust conversion to stack discharge
You've already helped... it was a pic of your M7040HD that started me thinkin' that I'd rather have an exhaust stack instead of the enclosed / side discharge exhaust.
The hood on the L48 even has a hole on the top (that is plugged) as if there is a stack exhaust option. The way it came, he entire system is under the hood with the tail pipe blowing it out the side of the hood and on to the inside sidewall of the the front left tire. A lot of it seems to get defelected back into the cab area. :(

I'll work on that profile...:)

/ L48 exhaust conversion to stack discharge #5  
Yeah, if I were you I'd convert it to a stack. I wouldn't like that set-up at all. The only disadvantage with stack exhaust is if you have low-lying limbs and trees, sometimes the exhaust could get snagged. But in my situation the ROPS is the rate-limiting height factor anyway. I'll bet there is an option for your tractor. Ask your dealer, I'd bet he could just order a conversion kit.

/ L48 exhaust conversion to stack discharge #6  
Hmmn. I've had my 48 about 2 1/2 years and can't think of a time other than maybe in the wrong wind direction, that I had exhaust problems. My set up is the same as yours and I'm sure all others as they leave the factory..

It's not bad enough where I'd consider it a real problem. And I agree, it's not a constant situation, I'd just prefer to smell it less often. It's also harder on whoever is working on foot while near the running tractor, which is often me. Does your L48 have the plugged hole in the top of the hood also? Do you know what that hole is for? I was just guessing that it might be for an exhaust stack.
It seems to be a fine machine regardless.

/ L48 exhaust conversion to stack discharge #8  
Only rarely does the L48 exhaust bother me. It points slightly down but more out on the left side. The extra hole I believe is for an extra air filter for dusty enviornments. I have a Ford 3400 with the stack right out of the hood at ear level, which I think has caused me minor hearing damage. The L2350 GST Kubota I use has a factory stack which is taller than ear height and the stack points forward at the top, which I think I found more obnoxious than the L48 exhaust issues.

/ L48 exhaust conversion to stack discharge #9  
Oliver Wendell Douglas said:
You've already helped... it was a pic of your M7040HD that started me thinkin' that I'd rather have an exhaust stack instead of the enclosed / side discharge exhaust.
The hood on the L48 even has a hole on the top (that is plugged) as if there is a stack exhaust option. The way it came, he entire system is under the hood with the tail pipe blowing it out the side of the hood and on to the inside sidewall of the the front left tire. A lot of it seems to get defelected back into the cab area. :(

I'll work on that profile...:)

The hole on top of the hood is for a Kubota air cleaner pre filter pipe, not an exhaust stack. Also, I would gladly have a bottom exit exhaust pipe like on my L39 on my M7040. When you wash the tractor and first start the engine to heat up and dry off the engine area, the exhaust stack blows light fluffy wet exhaust soot all over the FEL and what ever else is around the tractor!!!!!!!! And no, I don't put the hose down the exhaust stack. It just seems to get water inside somehow.

I do like the unobstructed forward view allowed by the low exhaust system, and it sounds like no alternative has been developed. It still seems a less than optimal placement to me… and makes my 3 piece suit vest smell funny…;)