Oil & Fuel B3030 and starting out with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD)

/ B3030 and starting out with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) #1  

bradv42

Tractor
Kubota B3030 4-Wheel Drive Tractor w/ turf tires
I have been aware of the change in supply of diesel fuel effective no later than July 2006 to ULSD. I would assume, although I do not know for sure, that the 4 cylinder engine in my Kubota B3030 was designed without factoring in the use of ULSD.
I have heard that the sulfur in the diesel fuel and other solids, acts like a lubricant though technically not a lubricant. This pre-ULSD or Low Sulfur Diesel, provided a lubricant for the injectors and other parts in the fuel system.
If the above is the case, what additives should we be adding to our fuel system to provide the proper lubrication to the fuel system components? Observing on this forum the cost of repair parts from Kubota, I want to be very diligent in insuring everything is done the right way.
Please advise,
Brad :)

/ B3030 and starting out with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) #2  
Sulfur isn't actually a lubricant and the lack of it is not the problem. The problem is that the process used to remove sulfur also removes other properties from the fuel that do contribute to the lubrication characteristics of the fuel. When the fuel leaves the refinery it has very poor lubricity. Additives are added by the distributor to bring it within spec. When you purchase fuel it "should" meet the lubricity requirements. The problem is what if the additive isn't added in the correct quantity, accidents do happen.

It's a endless debate. To add or not to add additives to your fuel. Personally I use additives in all my fuel as do many others here. Others don't use anything at all. In my mind it's cheap insurance, keeps the fuel system well lubricated and the injectors and cylinders clean.

/ B3030 and starting out with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD)
I guess I am wondering what are the recommendations for additives, if any, that should be used in the normal operation of my tractor. I used a the John Deere Diesel fuel conditioner when I had my other tractor.
Can someone offer any ideas?

/ B3030 and starting out with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) #4  
There's a boat load on the market. Power Service, Howes, PenRay, TRC, Schaeffers, Amsoil, and numerous store brand and truck/tractor manufacturer relabeled brands.

Personally I use TRC's Dzl-Pep and in the winter I use Dzl-Pep Arctic. I'm a little biased though, I sell what I use in my trucks and tractors. :)

/ B3030 and starting out with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) #5  
If you have access to off road diesel you apparently won't have to go to the ulsd, according to this chart. Off road is required just to be below or at 500ppm.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]Date for implementation of ULSD
Refinery < 15ppm by June 1, 2006 Terminal < 15ppm by September 1, 2006 Retail < 15ppm by October 15, 2006 Off-Road / Locomotive & Marine Fuel < 500ppm by June 1, 2007

/ B3030 and starting out with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) #6  
I run 1/2 qt ASHLESS 2 cycle oil per tank in my truck when I am not running bio. On my little tractor I have been running 1/2 of one of those little bottles of 2 cycle oil per tank ( initial tank I put a whole bottle in ). It does make a difference in the sound of the tractor and truck. Some people are running 1 qt per tank in their trucks, they seem to believe they get a mileage increase when doing this. I guess it just feels good to put a little 'oil' back into my fuel oil.

DuaneW.

PS.
DO NOT USE ATF, modern friction modifiers are VERY hard in injectors and pumps.

/ B3030 and starting out with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) #7  
can get just about everything you want here:
FPPF

/ B3030 and starting out with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) #8  
Been running ULSD exclusively in all three of our hard working Kubotas for a couple of hundred hours now, how long do I have to wait for the sky to fall????

/ B3030 and starting out with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) #9  
I use both LSD and ULSD and add 2 oz Power Service/ 5 gal. diesel to both. Figure why take a chance. Whether or not sulfur's a lubricant, the PS also protects from gelling, increases cetane, etc. Cheap engine insurance IMHO.
penokee and otto

/ B3030 and starting out with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) #10  
Just for completeness and to expand on what others have said, if you have access to biodiesel, you can add as little as 2 percent biodiesel to your regular diesel and resolve all lubricity concerns.