Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts..

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts..
Builder said:
You'd get locked-up and shut down around here pulling a 20K trailer off the bumper of a pick-up. First, the cops would have a good laugh at the amount in fines you'd pay and tickets they'd write, then you'd be calling your wife from the station saying "ahhh... hon, I've got a little problem...." lol

Even a 14K trailer, which is gonna be at or past your legal limit off the bumper of a pick-up, is only gonna leave you 10K legal payload.

I can't imagine the GCWR of your pickup being more than 22,000lbs.

Who said anything about pulling off the bumper? They are gooseneck trailers and rated for this type of thing.

People pull backhoes and as large of tractors all the time with 1 tons and gooseneck trailers. I've NEVER been as much as pulled over while pulling a trailer. Maybe I'm lucky? Maybe it has something to do with my farm tag? Tell me how many 1 tons do you see pulling 30' 20k goosenecks with 10-14 1,200lb+ 5X6 bales on them? About everyday this time of year around here. There GCW will be at or over 25k!

I commonly have a GCW of 24k to 25k with my Dodge 1 ton and 14k dump trailer with 6 tons of gravel in it. I believe this is a tab over my trucks factory rated GCWR. My truck isn't near stock and handles it pretty good. With weight like this stopping is the biggest concern and maintaining very good trailer and truck brakes is critical. Do I like pulling this type of weight? NO! Hence my interest in a machine less then 10k pounds.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #42  
xxxsandman said:
Who said anything about pulling off the bumper? They are gooseneck trailers and rated for this type of thing.

People pull backhoes and as large of tractors all the time with 1 tons and gooseneck trailers. I've NEVER been as much as pulled over while pulling a trailer. Maybe I'm lucky? Maybe it has something to do with my farm tag? Tell me how many 1 tons do you see pulling 30' 20k goosenecks with 10-14 1,200lb+ 5X6 bales on them? About everyday this time of year around here. There GCW will be at or over 25k!

I commonly have a GCW of 24k to 25k with my Dodge 1 ton and 14k dump trailer with 6 tons of gravel in it. I believe this is a tab over my trucks factory rated GCWR. My truck isn't near stock and handles it pretty good. With weight like this stopping is the biggest concern and maintaining very good trailer and truck brakes is critical. Do I like pulling this type of weight? NO! Hence my interest in a machine less then 10k pounds.

I thought you wanted bumper pull, sorry.

Where I live, you'd be a sitting duck for the cops. They know dually pickups have a GCWR of 22-23K and if your towing 16K, they know you're at/over the limit. Farmers in my area carry hay on big 18 wheelers with 40' trailers. Maybe you live in a rural area where they let farmers do what they want.

Anyway, a 16K gooseneck won't be enough trailer for a 12K backhoe, unless it's aluminum or something, you'll have to spring for a 20K trailer, probably. If you want a 4x4 full size backhoe, add about 1,500 more lbs.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #43  
FYI, my L48 with loaded tires and hyd. thumb weighs about 9,980 lbs.

$39.9k new, $25-32K used. I am in the market for a new machine with similiar requirements and I have not found anything to match the L48 for landscape construction. It does everything I want and has a 3pt hitch, and with hyd. thumb, it is great for an all around machine. No complaints for me. Better get the L48 now before they L39 it with the new L5? this fall.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #44  
If you are looking for a loader that is more turf friendly but not necessarily a backhoe, I thought these Bobcat "all steer" loaders were interesting. They have a skid steer mode and and all steer mode where all four axles turn. I can't vouch for how well they work.
All Wheel Steer Loaders - Bobcat Company

John

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #45  
Do you know that the all wheel steer came from the purchase of earth force super stav. Bob Cat did not offer the all wheel steer until they bought out Earth Force. They didn't have any tlb's either. I really like the all wheel steer on my IR tlb I think it turns better than my little sub compact bx22 that I sold. David

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #46  
Decision made, went with the 110 tlb. Yanmar is a great machine, heck they even make the engine in the 110, but I need to think about resale/trade-in value, and I'm still not quite sure the Yanmar has the name recognition. I can relate with the weight issue. There's not much out there that can be pulled with a 1-ton and still function like a real backhoe. I hope I made the right choice. Thanks for the input, as a first time user of this site it came it pretty handy.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #47  
jwm561 said:
Decision made, went with the 110 tlb. Yanmar is a great machine, heck they even make the engine in the 110, but I need to think about resale/trade-in value, and I'm still not quite sure the Yanmar has the name recognition. I can relate with the weight issue. There's not much out there that can be pulled with a 1-ton and still function like a real backhoe. I hope I made the right choice. Thanks for the input, as a first time user of this site it came it pretty handy.

Good luck. Just remember that using the machine Like I do will be tough on her. Be careful.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/102592-l39-hard-work-photos.html

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #48  
So when do you take delivery? Please keep us posted on the progress of the machine. I am currently looking at one right now and will most likely be moving on it before the end of July.

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts..
I finally made my mind up today and bought a USED Kubota L48. I just got it home a few hours ago, so I haven't had hardly any seat time, but seams to be a nice machine.

I need to find a operators manual to it, any ideas?

/ Kubota L48 or Deere 110? Your thoughts.. #50  
I would go to the Kubota dealer and order an operators manual/parts manual/service manual. May cost $200.- bucks but worth it for the cost of your investment. David