New 148 Pics and a Video Link.

/ New 148 Pics and a Video Link. #11  
Ditto on the Eastern Red Cedar.

They are not of much use to almost all animals, and they take water and space away from the ones that are valuable. They are taking over huge areas of our state.

/ New 148 Pics and a Video Link. #13  
I am not taking your question the wrong way so please do not take my answer the wrong way. History did not start the day we were born. Over the years a lot of people thought that as many trees as possible was a good thing and now there are so many trees that the ecosystem is way out of balance. There is not enough nutrients and water to support the invasive species. Non-native and invasive species are able to out-compete the native plants. If you look back at pictures from 100 years ago you do not see even a small fraction of the woody vegitation that you have today. The reason that the wildfires burn the way they do these days is because of the "save the trees" mentality. The goal of services like mine is to return the land back to a fire adapted ecosystem. The problem has gotten so bad that millions of acres per year burn out of control and the resources just go up in smoke. If the forests had been managed in an intellegent and thoughtful manor instead of an emotional anti-logging manor we would have more and healthier forests today rather than millions of scorched acres that will take 100 years to recover.

Thank you for the answer, I feel it is a good one. Allthough I do disagaree with to many trees being around today. Infact I feel it may be just the opposite. I do understand that trees like to drink a lot of water but they also provide a lot of ways to help with drying out of land. I completely agree with "proper" land/tree management, California is a prime example of what NOT too do. I have been cutting trees for over 30yrs so I'm not a hippy tree hugger, but I also feel clear cutting is a dangerous act. I'm not knocking what you or any body else, on this site, has done. It looks like you have done a nice job and understand what is going on. My question was more of a general observation. It is not just places in TX that clear cut but other parts of the world also. Those places that rape the land are payng a high price, and one of those prices is dried out ground. Kind of reminds me of the farming from the 20's creating dust bowls. Once again I mean no wrong with my question, just find it interesting.

/ New 148 Pics and a Video Link. #14  
The eastern red cedars in the video are a blight to the native grasses and trees across
the south, OK, TX, and parts of AR especially so.
They soak up valueable rain and take over grassland.

Thanks for the heads up and understand that certain types of plants are unwanted.

They are a foe to the cattleman, farmer and natural order itself.

Farmer and cattleman are not the natural order of things :eek:. Once again I'll mention the dust bowls of the 20's, back then we thought we were all that. Clear cutting and business{money making} is not allways the best solution for the planet as we are learning. Take a look at all the waste we have dumped over the years. What may turn a buck$$$ today may cost millions tomorrow or worse{unuseable land, lakes, waterways}. I do understand the consept of PROPER land management to benifit our life style. I don't understand ruining our childrens childrens life, especially for greed.

Again please don't take my answers or questions the wrong way. I believe an educated management procedure outways a greedy dive in and take what one wants additude.

/ New 148 Pics and a Video Link. #15  
   / New 148 Pics and a Video Link. #16  
True, people are generally not the natural order of things. The natural order for that
area is for fire to clean off everything every few years. Since that doesn't happen
because burning isn't allowed much, the cedars have overtaken other natives.

Just like kudzu, multiflora rose, youpon, it's out of place.

/ New 148 Pics and a Video Link. #17  
Humans are a part of the natural order for good or ill. Native people used fire to improve their conditions and that changed when people's barns started burning down along with the crops,fences.ect. Mulching dose not replace fire but allows enough fuel reduction that fire can once again be used in it proper place. Left alone it will burn sooner or later and the longer it take the worse it be when it goes.

/ New 148 Pics and a Video Link. #18  
I am just curious, you say it weighs 19500 and you pull it with a 10 ton gooseneck? How do you pass weigh stations? texas have special exemptions? Just does not sound safe..

/ New 148 Pics and a Video Link.
EricH it is totaly safe and I cross scales all the way across the country. You must not be to farmiliar with how trailers are rated. Each trailer axle is rated for 10,000 lbs for 10 tons. Then you have the transfer of weight to the truck through the gooseneck. My truck has a rear axle rated for 9000 lbs. My 10 ton trailer has a total of 25,980 lbs. I am well below the ratings of all of my axles and tires when loaded.

As far as the tree thing goes the problem with the trees is people from back east thought that all trees are good. The cedar and juniper trees are responsible for drying up springs that have run for hundreds of years. Recent science suggests that the cedars may be responsible for the lowering of the water table in local aquifers. It requires a 1 1/2 inch rain event for the water to break through the cedars. How often does north Texas get a single 1 1/2 inch rain event. Cedar trees do not help keep anything from drying out!! In fact, I think they are a HUGE culprit in the lowering of water tables.

/ New 148 Pics and a Video Link. #20  
CB,
I am not trying to start a pissing contest at all, but if you have a 10 ton trailor and you put a 19500 lb machine on it , you are overloaded. period. The GVR of that trailor is 10 ton then you must minus the weight of the trailer itself. I know it can be done. I was just curious about Texas weight laws. My Semi is registered for 72 K so I can pull the Barko. Stay busy, be safe,Peace