Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum?

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #21  
Think twice about the Planer Carbides.

I spent a lot of money swapping out standard carbides for planers and results are disapointing on my Loftness Carbide Cutter. I have less than 100 hours on the new teeth and half are fractured and broken. The Standard Carbides lasted 700 hours without a single broken tooth. King Kong Tools is the OEM supplier for Loftness. The response from Loftness was "planers are best when used in areas where geology is entirely rock and stone free- a Carolina sand beach for instance." I don't have any rocks, only average vegetation that would be expected for any mulcher. The drum is now out of balance with broken teeth. Without material in the drum, the vibration is noticeable.

Attachments

• Planar Tooth Damage.jpg
    Planar Tooth Damage.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
   / Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum?
Try Quadco I've had nothing but good luck with Quadcos coppers, I did have king kong planners but had the same problem as mccasky broke very easy.

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #23  
On the quadco teeth how many hours did you get out of them?

justinl said:
On the quadco teeth how many hours did you get out of them?

I run a fae head quadco makes chippers and double tipped carbides, the chippers I get anywhere from 50-60hrs out of each side.

Now if u have the old paddle style fecon rotor quadco has a holder that uses feller head teeth.

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #25  
Yeah i got the older style head and I talked to Jim at quadco and he said he wouldn't run the feller teeth said they won't last very long he recommended the chipper tooth. Have you ever heard of the eagle claw brand of chipper teeth? They are about a grand cheaper a set than quadco and they claim to last about the same amount of time.

justinl said:
Yeah i got the older style head and I talked to Jim at quadco and he said he wouldn't run the feller teeth said they won't last very long he recommended the chipper tooth. Have you ever heard of the eagle claw brand of chipper teeth? They are about a grand cheaper a set than quadco and they claim to last about the same amount of time.

Yeah I have heard of them but never give them a shot, I would try them out if there a grand cheaper.

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #27  
Yeah I'm gonna try them out and I'll let you know.
Thanks for your input

justinl said:
Yeah I'm gonna try them out and I'll let you know.
Thanks for your input

No problem

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #29  
I now see that quadco is making chippers for the bobcat head.. Anyone run them yet?

CustomConstruction said:
I now see that quadco is making chippers for the bobcat head.. Anyone run them yet?

Havent ran them on the bobcat head, but you'll be extremely impressed. You will think your in a different machine a much bigger machine.