Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum?

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #11  
you have to have 20 chippers and 20 carbides.they have to be evenly spaced.its balanced ok.

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #12  
That's interesting, thankyou Treeman.

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #13  
Has anyone ever tried running to different types of teeth on the same drum? I love running chippers but i hate like heck sharping them i was thinking about running my Quadco Chipper in the center of my drum For cutting larger material an running King Kong Planner Carbides or double tipped Carbides on outsides of the Quadcos so i'll only have 10-12 to sharpen verses 38. Anyone ever try this or had any luck? Worried it mite throw the fae drum off balance.

I know this is an older post and I'm asking the same question as originally posted, however I'm just wandering how chipper teeth would work(Balance out) if I ran them in the center of my drum with carbides on the outsides. I was thinking of a 1/3 ratio on a 34 tooth FAE head! Any thoughts?

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #14  
It would be best to weigh both types of teeth before changing anything. I know the new Fecon/AHWI are interchangeable but FAE I'm not shaw of. You could end up with a machine that's got Parkinson Disease.:laughing:

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #15  
Change them all.
I just swapped out the original carbides with planer carbides on the entire drum. Made a world of difference; no jams, smaller chips, drum stays spinning longer. Would have saved a lot of fuel & time over the last few years if I had switched sooner.

Attachments

• DSC07683.jpg
    DSC07683.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 301
   / Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #16  
Change them all.
I just swapped out the original carbides with planer carbides on the entire drum. Made a world of difference; no jams, smaller chips, drum stays spinning longer. Would have saved a lot of fuel & time over the last few years if I had switched sooner.

Do you have enough hours on the teeth yet for good data? I've thought about those but was concerned that they would chip easy and become a typical carbide hammer pretty quick.

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #17  
It would be best to weigh both types of teeth before changing anything. I know the new Fecon/AHWI are interchangeable but FAE I'm not shaw of. You could end up with a machine that's got Parkinson Disease.:laughing:

Well, put the chipper teeth(10 of them)in the center of the drum with hammers on the outsides and Wow! what a difference! Balance feels good,no vibrations and cuts like heck! Think I'm gonna like this setup!:thumbsup:

/ Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #18  
Do you have enough hours on the teeth yet for good data? I've thought about those but was concerned that they would chip easy and become a typical carbide hammer pretty quick.

Only got about 40 hours on the new planers, but results are good. Fortunately, we don't have a lot of rocks around here to deal with. Mostly large visible boulders.

I took the cutter bar to a guy with a water jet. For only $50 he took 1/8" off the bar for a factory new edge. The gap between teeth & bar is set to 1/8" by using a piece of angle iron as a gauge.

Cutting a 1/2" allen wrench in half and using a deep socket & bar made quick work out of loosing the socket screws.

Attachments

• DSC07684.jpg
    DSC07684.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 242
  • 0718101225a.jpg
    0718101225a.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 178
   / Running Carbides An Chippers on the same Drum? #20  
Hey guys I'm running the Fecon Mulching head and I want to change from the double carbide tipped tool to a chipper/planar tool do y'all have any suggestions to what type of chipper tooth I should go with