buying LS, smart or not

/ buying LS, smart or not #11  
thank you all for your input. It is harder for me to choose a tractor than a car. I think because I know about cars and a I am just finding out about tractors.

My son an I were in the same position in 2009, I am a car guy, did the heavy research with an open mind to find the best tractor at the 55hp level and bought a U5030. Fit, finish, weight, capacities, and quality of engine bubbled U5030 to top. Other tractors that impressed were MF1600's built by Iseki in Japan, outstanding small engines and quality of build. Nothing wrong with a Kubota either but not clearly superior in any category. The LS is over built, has a world class engine that is in equipment all over the world. Designed with modern CAD and assembled in a new automated factory. It's on the cutting edge of modern design quality assembly. The price is very attractive but going up as they establish in the market. There are two dealers close to us so that's not an issue. I understand the importance of service though, and it has to a factor unless you are going to do all your own work or can just order parts if needed.

HS

/ buying LS, smart or not #12  
yjt35, It's very easy for someone else to help you spend your money. It doesn't matter what color tractor you purchase. Just do your homework, find a machine that will do what YOU need to do, a dealer that you are comfortable with, and at a price that fits YOUR budget. Everyone's needs and tastes are different.
I first looked at different tractors to find the ones that met my needs and criteria. Then I decided which one gave me the most tractor for my money. A dealer that will be there if and when you need him is also very important.

That being said, spend some time looking at different tractors, and get a feel for the dealer. Hope you find one that will make you happy and give you lots of good service!

Randy

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ buying LS, smart or not
Thank you Randy,
My specific difficulty is the dealer with which I am dealing is 2 hours away( im in Sandpoint Idaho). He makes trips approx. 2x/week for others and I am comfortable with him, but he is the only LS dealer around and that makes me nervous

/ buying LS, smart or not #14  
That is understandable. I have a Kubota dealer about 15 minutes away ( I also own a Kubota by the way) but my LS dealer is about 60 miles away. Its not too bad, as I actually work about midway between home and the tractor dealer.

/ buying LS, smart or not #15  
I forgot to ask, how long has you dealer been in business? Is he a new dealer?

there is a JD 2003 4610 coming up for sale and the cost of it will be 1-2 thousand less, but is less heavy and has 5hp less, although very well cared for( spoke to Jd mechanic who took care of it)

4 years

/ buying LS, smart or not #18  
Well if your asking about LS tractors, I own one and feel it is a great little machine bought at a way better price then chosing a "name" brand.

Now if you're asking about a dealer, well I've seen "name" brand dealers that have been open for yrs that are the screwiest bunch around, quantity is the answer not quility. It's hard for a small time or 1st time tractor dealer to make it unless he has big corp backing him. Does this make the big guy a good dealer or just a shifty dealer that passes a lot of product?? I am not saying all dealers are bad but I will say (just like with walcrap) once the monopoly is victourious then where else does the consumer go? Does it make the product better because of the avaiblity of parts, or does it just mean that product will need parts? Things are not built to last, and IMHO the bigger the corp the faster the trade in(or wear out time) will happen. I Don't have a preference to any one "name" brand but I do have a preference in how much I'm being swindled out of. I allways ask myself if I'm paying for the product or paying for all the adverisement and BS hype?

/ buying LS, smart or not #19  
Last December I got my LS R3039 gear, it was 2-3k cheaper than other brands. The dealer has been great, but I can't say what will happen down the road.

/ buying LS, smart or not #20  
My local Kubota dealer sold LS for about a year, and has stopped carrying them. They looked like well made tractors, but if I had dropped serious money on one, and my dealer got out of them in a year, I'd be concerned and upset.