buying LS, smart or not

/ buying LS, smart or not #31  
Bob77064 said:
A man walked into an auto parts store and said "I would like to get a rear view mirror for my Yugo" The clerk thought about it for a minute and said "I guess that would be a fair trade"

Now that's funny!

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ buying LS, smart or not #32  
@blackdogtx

Certainly correct......Honda, Toyota, Nissan (Datsun) were looked down upon many years ago even by me and now I own an Infiniti. Things change and who knows maybe one day LS will be right up there (popularity wise) with the big boys. Best of luck to you with your LS.:thumbsup:

/ buying LS, smart or not #33  
For sure! I am hoping that in five to ten years LS will be right up there with the other mainline brands. Time will tell the story..

@blackdogtx

Certainly correct......Honda, Toyota, Nissan (Datsun) were looked down upon many years ago even by me and now I own an Infiniti. Things change and who knows maybe one day LS will be right up there (popularity wise) with the big boys. Best of luck to you with your LS.:thumbsup:

/ buying LS, smart or not #34  
I wouldn't by a Yugo either Bob, but when I see a Mercedes I don't care if the dealer is few miles away. MB's are not popular either, but quality is the most important thing in my book.

HS

/ buying LS, smart or not #35  
Dealers come and go no matter the brand.
My first tractor was a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST that I bought in May 2005 from a Bota dealer about 40 miles away. The guy had been selling Kubota's for over 30 years. In Dec05 I get a letter from the dealership saying that he's going out of business (family problem, Father passed away, kids divided on keeping the dealership going or closing it, legal hassle, lawsuits, dealership closes).

Three years later I traded that 7510 for a new 2008 Mahindra 5525. Dealer is about 20 miles away and is the West Coast distributor for Mahindra (big parts and service departments, huge inventory). He's been in busines 10 years or so and will probably be selling Mahindra's when I'm pushing up daisies.

/ buying LS, smart or not #36  
When the first Hyundais came over to this country they were very crude and did not last long. Now they build them at a huge factory in Alabama and they are high quality vehicles.

/ buying LS, smart or not #37  
When the first Hyundais came over to this country they were very crude and did not last long. Now they build them at a huge factory in Alabama and they are high quality vehicles.

Know about that all too well, Bob. I'm actually a new car manager for Hyundai! We now sell $ 70,000 luxury vehicles that are right there with the big Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW!

/ buying LS, smart or not #38  
I guess we can worry about tractors for longeveity as for most people here at 50 to 100 hours a year that would mean some are built for 100 years for the hours we have seen put on them. So for the most part we should make sure that when you buy the tractor should get the job done for you in a way that you can get your work done in the least costly and convienent way. After all, there are no gaurentee in life but three things.
So look at the operator compartment and make sure it might fit you well, with the fact of the usable life of the tractor you should make sure that the controls you need the most aren't mounted behind you! You should make sure that you have a nice level deck with no levers hanging out to later catch your pant cuffs so when your getting off, you don't land on your face!
The internet has made ordering parts or just getting information on how to fix your tractor easy if you are so inclined. You can see here that it happens daily! Do make sure that the tractor can handle the job well, we often see different makes with bent steering linkages from being in front of the axle and below it from being in mud in the woods and catching a stump or rock. We also see that tractors that turn tighter often are found not to need the brakes to turn! The other thing with this is for those that feel compelled to use the brakes the front hubs and wheels only seem to break from to heavy of loaders and hitting objects and it is rare that they break under warrantee!
Do make sure that you order it with the attachments that you need, within two models you won't be able to buy them other then through parts, and we all know about parts prices!

As far as reliability, I've seen people that keep buying different makes that I thought they had bad luck with as far as the number of times they are down. They felt fine as long as they could get the parts they needed when they were down even if it was often! There are brands out there that are proven, and there are some to yet prove themselves! The market will still change and there is always someone new as well as somethings that are old and still going on.
One thing I've seen is some have the determination to build a better product and some just run off the cuff's of others. Those with the desire to build the best normally do and those that desire to just build for market share put more money into advertising then the product. For some on sales just pick up qwhat they might call their largest advantage, it might really be a fault, that is why nobody else is doing it! They all go on till profit or desire goes away. After all the original S&P 500 only has 13 original companies still there!!!!

/ buying LS, smart or not #39  
Know about that all too well, Bob. I'm actually a new car manager for Hyundai! We now sell $ 70,000 luxury vehicles that are right there with the big Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW!

Randy, they make a fine car now.

/ buying LS, smart or not #40  
I wouldn't by a Yugo either Bob, but when I see a Mercedes I don't care if the dealer is few miles away. MB's are not popular either, but quality is the most important thing in my book.

HS

You are right sir, quality is very important.