Tier 4 tractors, any problems?

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems?
Thanks Rohn,
My N.H. has a Shibaura engine and it runs great. I dont think I will worry about the tier 4 thing.

My local dealer just received two brand new 4041H models with the tier 3 engines this past week. He still isn't stocking any tier 4 models. He said he is purchasing all the tier 3 models he can get. You might check out Tri-County Tractor in Russiaville, Indiana. Family owned shop, nice folks.

Thanks for the info, Ind. is not that far for me to go. Bill

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #13  
I have been shopping my local dealer for an R4041H and they do not have any more tier 3 models. In addition to the price increase, is there any issues inherent to the tier 4 engines? More fuel consumption? Less power? In reading these threads most guys are glad they didn't get the tier 4. More things to go wrong? Anyone with experience with the tier 4's? Hey TSO, nice Massey, wish I had a cab last Saturday plowing snow and pushing back the banks. Love your 4047 but I wont be ready for a new one 'til April or May, if I buy any more tractors before I sell the 2 I have I will wind up sleeping in the bucket. Luckily, the LS has a 6 foot bucket. [ you know. that stiff neck thing with shorter buckets ] I am learning a lot, thanks everyone for for your help. Bill

Good luck on the search, I hope you find something out there. I do like the new Massey so far, but I just have to hope it will be as good as the LS was. The LS is a tank, and definitely starts easier in the cold than the Massey... at least, that was my experience with the R4047. I settled on this because of the deal I got, and a few small things that I liked about it vs the new LS cab model, but had it been regular pricing (I think folks will be paying roughly $37k+ for the new Tier 4 Massey equivalent instead of the $31k I paid) I probably wouldn't have justified the purchase.

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #14  
Thanks Rohn,
My N.H. has a Shibaura engine and it runs great. I dont think I will worry about the tier 4 thing.

Billy:

My Shibaura motor looks identical to my NH 1725 and your TC33 except for the Tier4 canister on top of the valve cover for the cat converter, I'm not used to the DPF lights on the dash yet when they are working, other than that they are basically the same, the XR4000 that I tried was the same except for the 4 cyl instead of 3. I have no complaints about the tractor, I would have kept the 4000 series except that it was tight going thru the barn, and it was a little too wide for the narrow alley way, I don't use a tractor hard at this house, loading manure into the spreader, plowing snow, my 1725 has and 8n have handled these chores well, I just wanted the cab and heater, the 3037 is just a little bigger than your TC33 except for weight, the 4000 series is about the same size as my Ford 3000, if I need more power later, I'll do some trading and order a XR4046 from my same dealer.

Good luck, let us know what you buy!

Rohn

I just looked at the brochure for the 4041 h and it says it has a Mitsubishi engine. Did they change engines for the tier 4 tractors?

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #16  
Xr series use the shibaura engines, I have one. and it is nice. one of the benefits of the tier 4 engines is there is no diesel smell or smoke at all. very clean. I haven't had an issue but i don't have another to compare it to as for the power.

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #17  
Good luck on the search, I hope you find something out there. I do like the new Massey so far, but I just have to hope it will be as good as the LS was. The LS is a tank, and definitely starts easier in the cold than the Massey... at least, that was my experience with the R4047. I settled on this because of the deal I got, and a few small things that I liked about it vs the new LS cab model, but had it been regular pricing (I think folks will be paying roughly $37k+ for the new Tier 4 Massey equivalent instead of the $31k I paid) I probably wouldn't have justified the purchase.
TSO. What are the things you dont care for in the LS cab? lt190b

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #18  
TSO. What are the things you dont care for in the LS cab? lt190b

My opinion of course, but here are the things I preferred on the Massey vs LS cab:

• More comfortable
  • Better visibility (more "glass" less "framing")
  • Controls layout, especially the loader joystick, wheel-tilt lever, & parking brake lever
  • HVAC system seemed stronger
  • Better materials quality/fit-finish

Mind you, the Massey isn't perfect (none are)... and I liked the push-button Cruise Control better (the Massey has a lever) on the LS. The LS also came standard with 2 remotes vs 1 on the Massey, and the LS has draft control which was not included on the Massey. The Massey DID come with a rear wiper, which was an option on the LS. The LS also had more "storage" spots, like recessed areas/cubbies, that the Massey didn't have (Massey only has a cup-holder, I need to fix that, I like "cubbies").

There were definitely things I liked & disliked about all the tractors I sat on. The Massey felt better overall, but only time will tell if it is as durable as the LS was. The build-quality of the Massey does feel top-notch. The LS had better "loader visibility" over the hood. The 3pt lift of the Massey is noticeably stronger.

Nit-picking really, all the tractors are close.

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #19  
TSO. Thanks for your comparison. I looked at a 1700 series MF yesterday at a farm equipment show, didnt like how the fuel tank (on left) and fuel filter/separator (on right) hung down. Yours does not look that way? Also, what size front and rear tires come on the 1648? lt190b

/ Tier 4 tractors, any problems? #20  
TSO. Thanks for your comparison. I looked at a 1700 series MF yesterday at a farm equipment show, didnt like how the fuel tank (on left) and fuel filter/separator (on right) hung down. Yours does not look that way? Also, what size front and rear tires come on the 1648? lt190b

Fuel tank fill location on the MF 16xx series is on top of the hood, right side. They moved it down for the 17xx series to accommodate for tier 4 equipment. It's about as convenient (which is to say not all that convenient) as the LS R40xx series. I would prefer the lower location that everyone seems to use now, although there is the potential for damaging the tank on stuff.

Mine has 14.9x24 rears, 10x16.5 fronts. The LS has 17.5Lx24 rears, 12x16.5 fronts. The LS rear tires are wider but slightly shorter than the MF's, the LS fronts are both wider & taller. The MF can be had with the 17.5Lx24 rears, but different rims are needed.