XR 4040H issue with only 8 hours on it

/ XR 4040H issue with only 8 hours on it #1  

Haagmeister

Tractor
LS XR4040 H
We just got the tractor delivered on Friday. After using the backhoe attachment to dig a trench for running electric we noticed that there was a light flashing on the lower left of the console. Book says its the engine warning light. We also noticed that with the throttle all the way up the RPMs seem to be throttled and capped. The only thing we could guess was that it was bad gas but the lack of RPMs with a maxed throttle has me believing it is something else.

Any advice on what to look at first? I would love to avoid having to haul this thing all the way back to the dealer to get it looked at if it is as simple and cleaning a fuel filter.

Thanks!

/ XR 4040H issue with only 8 hours on it #2  
Don't overlook the air filter.

/ XR 4040H issue with only 8 hours on it #3  
The only thing we could guess was that it was bad gas but the lack of RPMs with a maxed throttle has me believing it is something else.
I hope you are not running gas.
If you are there's your answer

/ XR 4040H issue with only 8 hours on it #4  
Look in your manual for the causes of the flashing light and check each of those. It could be a water in the fuel filter warning or one of several diagnostic statuses. If your manual doesn't mention that flashing light, then it is time to go to the dealer. Look in the back of the manual under troubleshooting guidelines.

/ XR 4040H issue with only 8 hours on it #5  
Welcome to TBN and congrats on the new tractor.

Could you be more specific as to which flashing warning light came on. The throttle does have a limit or cap and shouldn't have to be run wide open for backhoe work. The ECU also will put the tractor in limp mode if a problem is detected which will lower RPM's. I also hope you didn't put gas in the tank.

/ XR 4040H issue with only 8 hours on it
We put a total of 10 gallons of diesel in over that 8 hours so I know it was not gas by mistake.

We noticed the light after we got about 60 foot into a shallow trench and we could find nothing specific in the manual. The first thing it suggested was check the fuel filter but it didnt make sense to me with the RPM cap that was there. Granted we went from a early 70's Ferguson to this so there is going to be a learning curve from what we were use to and then what to expect with routine things with a brand new diesel.

Also, the gauge has a marking on it for the PTO and I assume that is a max operating range. We never got close to that. After the light started flashing we just noticed that what happened when the throttle was pushed nearer the top position was not close to what we got once the light came on.

I have a feeling that since it has less than 10 hours on it we will more than likely call the dealer. Is it worth taking the fuel filter out and clean it? The odd thing is if it was the clogged fuel filter you would notice it running rough... It runs completely smooth..

Just talked to my brother and he said the station that he got the second 5 gallons of gas was pretty run down and he bets its the gas.. Said it happened pretty much right away once the second 5 gallons was added..

He said that he knows it was diesel by the color and smell.

One other question. Is there a downloadable owners manual online? I cannot find it anywhere and my brother brought the actual manual to his house. I wanted to read it here as well.

You would think these would be available online!

/ XR 4040H issue with only 8 hours on it #9  
Just talked to my brother and he said the station that he got the second 5 gallons of gas was pretty run down and he bets its the gas.. Said it happened pretty much right away once the second 5 gallons was added..

He said that he knows it was diesel by the color and smell.

Fuel... 5 gallons of fuel.