Mahindra 5555 or 2555

/ Mahindra 5555 or 2555 #1  

TXgreenjeans

Tractor
MF 1759 w FEL and MF 135
I am struggling with this decision on which one to purchase. Both seem to be good tractors with similar features. The 5555 is heavier. I have property in TX and MS which I will be using this tractor on. Not to challenging here in TX however, 300+ acres in Ms all heavily wooded. I like the new engines on the Mahindra's with out the DPF. I have an old MF 135 Diesel which has been a work horse over the years and fun to have. looking to step up and have something a little more substantial to work with and more capabilities. Thoughts are appreciated.

/ Mahindra 5555 or 2555 #2  
A lot depends on your main use for the tractor. While both are 55hp, the 5555 is about a ton heavier and is a bigger class tractor than the 2555. The 2555 is available with a HST trans, while the 5555 is just a shuttle. Shuttle shines in ground engagement uses and HST shines in loader/back & forth work.... The 2555 can be procured with a cab. Both have Mahindra built mCRD diesels. Both are fine tractors.... With the 2555 you can move stuff, with the 5555's extra girth, you can MOVE BIGGER STUFF.... Tractor shopping days are GREAT DAYS..!!!! [ it's the sleepless nights thinking about which one to pick that sucks.... ]

/ Mahindra 5555 or 2555 #3  
I am struggling with this decision on which one to purchase. Both seem to be good tractors with similar features. The 5555 is heavier. I have property in TX and MS which I will be using this tractor on. Not to challenging here in TX however, 300+ acres in Ms all heavily wooded. I like the new engines on the Mahindra's with out the DPF. I have an old MF 135 Diesel which has been a work horse over the years and fun to have. looking to step up and have something a little more substantial to work with and more capabilities. Thoughts are appreciated.

I've owned both brands--a 2008 Mahindra 5525 and a 1964 MF135 diesel with multipower. The 5525 is a simple, heavy tractor with a partially synchronized tranny, made in India, and no clean diesel stuff hanging on the engine. Only put about 250 hours on it, but never had a bit of trouble. Just did normal maintenance. Heavier is better IMHO if you have the trailer to handle the weight.

Good luck

/ Mahindra 5555 or 2555
On further looking it appears the 2555 is a TYM tractor (T554) with the Mahindra name. It also appears this is the same tractor as one made for Cabelas. The engine is Mahindra. Is Mahindra the only one that makes an engine not having to use a DPF?

Thanks for the responses so far.

/ Mahindra 5555 or 2555 #5  
On further looking it appears the 2555 is a TYM tractor (T554) with the Mahindra name. It also appears this is the same tractor as one made for Cabelas. The engine is Mahindra. Is Mahindra the only one that makes an engine not having to use a DPF?

When I was shopping it was the only tier 4 I saw without a DPF. I looked at JD, Kubota, New Holland and Mahindra. Didn't look at others because those were the only brands reasonably close.
As far as your choice goes, the usual consensus here is the heavier the tractor, the better. Of course that always depends on what you'll be doing with it but if you aren't quite sure at this point, maybe play it safe and go for the heavier machine.

/ Mahindra 5555 or 2555 #6  
I was afraid to mention the weight before HP thing to him, until he stated what he really wanted the tractor for. I like weight, and HP is secondary.... That's what drew me to Mahindra in the 1st place... [ plus the big tires on my 5035 ] :)

/ Mahindra 5555 or 2555 #7  
I'd lean away from the 2555. See the posts in the owner/operator section. Look at CEL and EGR posts. If you are set on a 2225 wait till late summer.Mahindra has a fix in progress. :bandaid:

/ Mahindra 5555 or 2555 #8  
I'd lean away from the 2555. See the posts in the owner/operator section. Look at CEL and EGR posts. If you are set on a 2225 wait till late summer.Mahindra has a fix in progress. :bandaid:

I hope that some Red Carpet Dealer Tech is on top of this... say someone from the great state of Pennsylvania. And he is putting some thought into how he is going to let us folks know when it is OK to put in an order. I'd like to be on the let 'em know list.... ready to buy as soon as it's OK. :)

/ Mahindra 5555 or 2555 #9  

As far as I know its is! They spent 20 or 30 mill to develop this engine. Another w/o def is Belarus/MTZ don't be put off by the fact that it's russian or by the name, it's a simple good tractor without all the electronics

/ Mahindra 5555 or 2555 #10  
As far as I know its is! They spent 20 or 30 mill to develop this engine. Another w/o def is Belarus/MTZ don't be put off by the fact that it's russian or by the name, it's a simple good tractor without all the electronics
Massey Ferguson also makes tractors with just a DOC, along with Branson. Kubota was working on it last time I checked. EGR's are a weak point using just a DOC.