Mahindra 4110 PTO wont work

/ Mahindra 4110 PTO wont work #1  

rustyiron55

Tractor
Farmall cubs & others
Hey all, Im trying to help a friend get the PTO on his Mahindra 4110 tractor to work. He bough it new about 10 years ago and it only has 358 hrs on it. The PTO stopped working. Indicators say its working but nothing.He is the type of guy (in his 70's) that never lets his tractor set out and very well maintained. I did find the PTO silinoid and took the assembly off to make sure it is working.Power to it and it is working. I have no books on this tractor to refere to and no dealers around. sometimes the PTO will turn but when I take a 2x4 and apply pressure to the shaft it will stop. when it stops i hear a rattle somewhere but cant tell where.The 3 point hitch and front loader work as they should. Is the PTO hydro driven or mechanically? where can i get a service manuel and parts manuel ? He took the tractor to a ex dealer but they couldnt figure it out. Seems that nobody wants to give any info or work on it. any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks

/ Mahindra 4110 PTO wont work #3  
Hey all, Im trying to help a friend get the PTO on his Mahindra 4110 tractor to work. He bough it new about 10 years ago and it only has 358 hrs on it. The PTO stopped working. Indicators say its working but nothing.He is the type of guy (in his 70's) that never lets his tractor set out and very well maintained. I did find the PTO silinoid and took the assembly off to make sure it is working.Power to it and it is working. I have no books on this tractor to refere to and no dealers around. sometimes the PTO will turn but when I take a 2x4 and apply pressure to the shaft it will stop. when it stops i hear a rattle somewhere but cant tell where.The 3 point hitch and front loader work as they should. Is the PTO hydro driven or mechanically? where can i get a service manuel and parts manuel ? He took the tractor to a ex dealer but they couldnt figure it out. Seems that nobody wants to give any info or work on it. any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks

Search for a post by me on 2/24/2009, as I explain it there.

/ Mahindra 4110 PTO wont work
Thanks for the link to the post. I did check the shifter and it is going into high and low in that respect. when I do get it to turn I can stall it by sticking a 2x4 across the 3 point arm then applying pressure to the PTO shaft. When it stops I hear a rattle sorta in the middle of the tractor. Takes a lot of pressure to stop it. Not clunking or grinding.Maybe someone has a parts book that can send me the section on the PTO. Need to know how it works . Does the PTO solinoid actuate hyd pressure to a clutch pack or does it actuate a hydraulic motor? Im going with a clutch pack.

/ Mahindra 4110 PTO wont work #5  
You can review schematics here:

http://www.mahindrapartsonline.com/pages/OemParts#

Do you see any deflection in the shaft when you sideload it with the 2x4?

The solenoid activates a clutch on the pto drive shaft the same way the foot pedal activates a clutch on the main drive shaft.

Well, yesterday we drained the hydraulic fluid. Cleaned the filter in the suction line. Oil was very clean. The filter had some small amount of junk in it. There were pieces of what looked like thin copper wire. then there was green pieces of plastic that looked to have been chewed up. Then I removed the big filter to find it spotless. Assembled it all then installed hyd fluid. Still the same problem but this time we noticed the PTO wouldnt inguage till the loader was lifted. I could stall the PTO with the 2x4. But then I lowered the loader and sudenly stopped it from coming down and the PTO would work properly and I couldnt stall it with a 4x4. I could hear the engine getting a load so I knew it was working. Then when the loader was lowered onto the ground the PTO would stop but I could hear a squeeling like a hydraulic valve would when you try to lift too much with the loader. I did bleed the big filter like the decal on it says before I started it up after draining the system. There is no deflection in the shaft when i pry on it with a 4x4. My thoughs are now that the valving for the electric PTO has a problem because the pressure line from the hyd pup flows to it then to the loader and 3 point hitch.If not that then I may be a problem in the pump. But the loader and 3 point work like they should. :confused: any ideas?? remember this machine is 10 years old but only has 385 hours on it. Like new!

/ Mahindra 4110 PTO wont work #7  
It sounds like the relief valve on the pto solonoid may have a piece of trash caught in it. Remove the solonoid block from the side of the transmission and there are 2 relief valves on the side protruding into the transmission case.Try to clean them out and also be carefull not to change the setting on the relief valve, as a small adjustment on it will make a large psi change. While you have the block off remove the hex plug on the front side of it that is directly in front of the electric solonoid and lube in there with a little penetrating oil.

Thanks, I had that valve off to make sure it was working but I did not take the relief valves apart. What you suggested was going to be my next step.But my Buddie took it to a Mahindra dealer he found In Slippery Rock Pa about 1/2 hour away. I Talked to my buddie today. he said it had the Mahindra mechanic stumpped too.. :laughing:I also am thinking that the pieces of green plastic I found in the suction line filter are from a pastic valve or parts of one.:confused: Maybe Ill have to call the so called mechanic to advise him to do what you suggested:mad:

Its been months. the tractor has been at the dealer in Slippery Rock Pa all summer till now and is still there. He narrowed it down ( he thinks not sure)to a bad hydraulic pump. He finally located the proper pump in South Korea. That was 2 months ago. Give me a brake, They sell these tractors in the United States but can get any parts! :mad:. Whats wrong here:confused:Only a few hundred hours on this tractor and the pump is shot and so far not avalible! What a piece of junk:confused2:

/ Mahindra 4110 PTO wont work #10  
I have been selling Mahindra tractors for 10 years and 4110's have been my biggest seller and I know one of them now has over 2000 hours, and I have never sold a hyd pump for one of them nor have I ever waited 2 months for any part from Mahindra. If I find time tomorrow, I will do a little checking into this.