Backhoe Mahindra owners. Little help here please.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please.
Those jerk's. everyone know's it Mr. Gasifier not Mr. _______ :laughing:
Everything still good?

LOL

I’ve been busy working on things for my parents and with the real job. I haven’t had any time to work with the tractor. Bummer. A few days off coming up beginning of this week though. So I’ll put it to work moving debris of branches and tree tops with the grapple on the front loader. Might even pull a few stumps and rocks with the backhoe if the ground isn’t frozen very deep. We have just started getting freezing temperatures. Then it will be time to take the backhoe off in the detached garage and install three point hitch and the new to me heavy duty rear blade for snow duty. 3-5” coming Tuesday. I’m getting excited about being able to work with my tractor again.

Made some time to work the tractor today. Good power now and making some progress. About 3-1/2 hours of work done today. Moving debris and pulled a few stumps as well. Ground is not frozen down yet. Cold temperatures are here to stay now though. Going to the single digits this week. Maybe even zero. IMG_3524.JPG
IMG_3522.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3527.JPG
    IMG_3527.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
Almost 8 hours of work on it today. Worked flawlessly. what a relief!

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #174  
I am glad your problems seem to be over. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #175  
Almost 8 hours of work on it today. Worked flawlessly. what a relief!

Great News!!
Glad to hear the Mahindra is working well for you.

I am sure the extra beef in the machine is a help with removing and pulling stumps to.

Here is hoping for smooth sailing from now on.

Also Hope Mahindra puts your tractors problems and the solutions to the root causes in their data base,
and it saves the next purchaser of the same model much of the down time and agravation you have had to endure.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #177  
Great News!!
Also Hope Mahindra puts your tractors problems and the solutions to the root causes in their data base,
and it saves the next purchaser of the same model much of the down time and agravation you have had to endure.

That is a great idea, but hard to implement as far as it relates to dealer visibility. All manufacturers are loathe to print a list of problems/solutions that might make its way to the public as it can bite them. But this still should be done in some manner at least at the regional service manager level. They need to share solutions to the oddball problems with each other and when a dealer from across the country has this weird intermittent loss of power issue they can go right to the connections that caused the grief for Gas. Another thing they should do is have a conference call regularly where the regional service managers discuss difficult cases. Seems that someone in the room always has the answer, but the question must be asked. Like I said before, most of the service managers are excellent mechanics in their own right, and I do not give out those sort of compliments easily.

I'm sure pleased that Gasifier got his machine working well. He is a hard user (not an abuser, don't misunderstand me) and he is the sort of guy that can flesh out weaknesses in a machine. Next time they decide to introduce a new machine, they need to give him one for 6 months and let him see what if any weaknesses he can find. I'm serious about that. Some guy that just mows a pasture 3 times a year won't find the flaws that a guy clearing a forest will reveal.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #178  
That is a great idea, but hard to implement as far as it relates to dealer visibility. All manufacturers are loathe to print a list of problems/solutions that might make its way to the public as it can bite them. But this still should be done in some manner at least at the regional service manager level. They need to share solutions to the oddball problems with each other and when a dealer from across the country has this weird intermittent loss of power issue they can go right to the connections that caused the grief for Gas. Another thing they should do is have a conference call regularly where the regional service managers discuss difficult cases. Seems that someone in the room always has the answer, but the question must be asked. Like I said before, most of the service managers are excellent mechanics in their own right, and I do not give out those sort of compliments easily.

I'm sure pleased that Gasifier got his machine working well. He is a hard user (not an abuser, don't misunderstand me) and he is the sort of guy that can flesh out weaknesses in a machine. Next time they decide to introduce a new machine, they need to give him one for 6 months and let him see what if any weaknesses he can find. I'm serious about that. Some guy that just mows a pasture 3 times a year won't find the flaws that a guy clearing a forest will reveal.

Concerning a data base for odd ball root cause solutions , maybe Mahindra could go with an (internal) authorized dealer TSB data base.
I am more for open source but understand why Corporate would be concerned over a complete list of problems that has been experienced with a particular model going public.

It seems to me that having the data can improve the overall design and assembly procedures and is a core part of how ISO 900(-) compliant manufacturing companies improve efficiency, product reliability, and root cause problem identification and making changes needed to insure that problems are resolved and do not happen again.

With Mahindra being 1 of or the only tractor makers to receive a Demming prize for Total Quality of Management...

You would think an internal by model problem/root solution with tips to expedite the repair, The data base could save them a lot of time, money, and greatly improve dealer and most importantly Owner satisfaction from day 1.

Also hope they send Gasifier a new model to test out someday and bet he could give them some insights and suggestions to...

I like how Mahindra builds heavy strong tractors and when the day comes to purchase a 28-40 hp model in the next year or so i will still consider a Mahindra

Thank you for your insight Dave. I appreciate it.

I’ll share you a few thoughts looking back on my experience.

To start. It hasn’t been a good one. I did all the same work with my other past tractors and did not have any major issues.

The 81 acre property is mostly woods, and was thinned out by a forester with a feller and skidder. All the really heavy duty stuff was done with much larger, industrial equipment.

One great thing to having the forest thinned that I was/am looking forward too is the much better access we will have to the rest of the property now. The forest was very, very thick.

So I am using my loader with the grapple to move branches and tree tops off the skidding trails. Piling some of them to burn. (Some I’ll leave for the wildlife, who love it for nesting and coverage.)

I’m also digging and removing the smaller stumps and weaving the trails through and in between the larger ones. And of course using the bucket on the front loader to do the dirt work of moving rocks and soil into low spots and filling them in, back dragging, and moving soil short distances. I also use my tractor for mowing tall grass/small size brush, firewood retrieval, and for snow removal.

But. Yes. I obviously do work my tractor. Probably more that most owners out there do of this size tractor and smaller.

The idea of lending a new tractor to find flaws is a good one. For Mahindra. But I doubt it will happen.

I want to say am very happy to have my tractor back and working again. And thank you to the local mechanic who solved the problem!

But the thoughts of all the frustration and lost time on my now seriously delayed projects with a very expensive new tractor will not be fixed with a $250 service. And I know. Lost time is not covered by the warranty.

A customer’s time is worth ...... ?
A customer is worth...... ?

Those thoughts will not leave my mind anytime soon.

Now imagine if the dealer and Mahindra got together and REALLY tried to make the customer(s) happy. Any customer who had very significant lost time because of a new tractor with serous problems. Like me.

What would that number be? Maybe 3 or 4 in every 100 tractors of 50 horsepower or smaller size?

And they came up with an idea and implemented it together. Like they said to the customer. What type of implement could you use, that would help save you some time, each time you used it. To help you to slowly make up for all that lost time you had.

How much would that cost the dealer and Mahindra if they did it together?

So they provided a gift certificate of say $750 to use as customer saw fit at the dealership, OR very steeply discounted an implement by 50% off retail cost. (If the customer could use an implement for their tractor that would really benefit them by saving time and it had a max cost of $1500.) That would go a long way. Much further than a tractor service.

A past poster said to me he thought the dealer would have something to say to me the next time he saw or talked to me. I talked to him on the phone the day they delivered my tractor back to me. I had called him because I had to drive out of town to pick up a brother at the airport two hours away. I wanted to give him the opportunity to do something for me. And I asked him what he and/or Mahindra could do for me about all my lost time, frustration, and now delayed projects. He said I’m sorry we don’t have any kind of program for that. And I don’t think Mahindra has any kind of program like that. And he expressed that he had a lot of lost time and frustration with my tractor as well. That is understandable. He didn’t build it. But he sold it, so bears some responsibility in my view.

Don’t get me wrong. I think he feels bad about it. He probably isn’t real happy with me either after all the trouble he had to go through as well with this tractor and me calling Mahindra Corporate out of complete frustration. But that is a result of my Mahindra tractor. He didn’t build it. Before this he and I had a good relationship. I bought equipment from him, he made money, and I used it to get the work done I needed done. They service it, 9/10 times just for routine maintenance.

And now I feel somewhat bad because our dealer/customer relationship is certainly not what it was. Because I have to wonder how they feel toward me from this point forward. Will I feel good about bringing any of my stuff to them for repair and/or service?

I have thought about how before, when I was very excited about my new tractor(and before these major problems), I was thinking of buying several different implements for my tractor. From the same dealer. Boy would they save me some time. I don’t know what I’ll do now.

Anyway. Thank you all. Gentlemen. For listening to my frustration about my tractor problems.

Maybe. Hopefully, it will save some headaches and frustration for another customer and/or dealer in the future.

And thank you again to my dealer’s mechanic for fixing my tractor.

And thank you to Brenda and Ernesto at Mahindra who were very understanding of my frustration and situation.

The snow is still falling and I’m going to go work my tractor some more.

Have a good day folks.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me identify this bolt? I found it on the ground on stone drive outside my barn just before it snowed. We walk this drive a lot between the house and the barn. And my wife and I hadn’t seen it. Then just saw it late Monday afternoon and picked it up. Luckily, before it snowed.

It looks eerily similar to the bolts that fell out of my tractor a while back when I had the steering problem. The bolts had fallen out of the steering mechanism where it bolted to the frame at the axle. The mechanic ended up having to take the tractor back to their garage and drop the front axle so he could get the bolts back in and torqued them to the right tightness. It may be possible that this one is the one that we couldn’t find before. Two had definitely fallen completely out. And I had only found one. And he had to get a new one. I don’t know.

I guess the only way to know is to have him check them when he does the next service. I did do a complete check around the perimeter of the tractor. Looking at all bolts and could not find a hole anywhere. All major frame joints on tractor/loader/backhoe checked. I wonder if this is a problem with this tractor. ? A lot of work with front loader and backhoe and driving over uneven terrain loosens them up?

Has anyone else seen this? Bolts falling out of their Mahindra? I just want to solve this problem quickly. I’ll contact dealer and arrange for that service to be done Mahindra said they would pay for. And have them check everything when they do it and ask them to tighten all bolts. I’m hoping it’s the one they couldn’t find before. But it seems like we would have seen it when we both looked for it when it happened, or my wife and I would have seen it since then.

Any help is appreciated.

IMG_3540.JPG
IMG_3541.JPG