Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    MF 135

Default Massey 135 Barn Find

Hi there,
    I purchased the contents of a barn on a property that I purchased. There was a Massey 135 with a full set of implements and a new 8hp Massey lawn tractor. The 135 has 84hr on it and the size of the trees that we had to clear to get it out confirm this. Still has the flashing down the center of the tires.

The bad news is that the engine is seized, 3 cyl gas Perkins. I have let it soak for a couple of days and tried to rock it in high gear, it won't budge. I have removed the head and the bores look great. I have done some gentle tapping of the pistons with a soft blow mallet on a piece of softwood to no avail. What's the next step?

Is there something up front in the timing gear that might lock it up? The clutch is free and the front crank pulley doesn't budge with a large pipe wrench.

Thanks a lot!

Tractor
    MF 135 Z134 Continental, MF 1660 Cab

Default Re: Massey 135 Barn Find

Wow! Look at you. I'm guessing you're not interested in selling it.

Seriously though, keep soaking it with penetrating oil and gentle tapping like you have been. With a little patience it should free up.

I'm in Ottawa, could be there pretty quick if you decide it's not worth the trouble.

Tractor
    MF 135

OK, patience is not the strong point but I'll forget about it for a while. I have diesel in the bores. I cut out the rad hoses because they were rotten but they still had the string hang tags from new!

A bit about the tractor. GAS Perkins, diff lock, no multipower, full gauges. 4speed with HI/LOW.
    Implements:
    NEW 6' Bush Hog
    Stone boat
    2 bottom plow
    3 bottom plow
    Nice set of discs
    Cultivator
    2 Driveway drags

I was a little pissed about buying a seized tractor (found out after the fact) but it should end well.
    Last edited by zslnk; 08-02-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Forgot the Bush Hog!

Tractor

I'm sure it will, you have what some of us would consider a real treasure there. Let us know how you're doing with it. Nice start on the implements too.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1970 MF-135 and 1951 Ford 8N

I second that Wow! Good find. I have heard to soak them from everything from transmission fluid to coke a cola. Everyone has their special mix. I would try some of the different penetrating oils out there and some light tapping like mentioned already. Please keep us posted.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

I use Kroil for old Harley rebuilds.
    Murph ------------

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

Wow. What a treasure. A needle in a hay stack. Do you have any history on it. It looks like a great tractor to use for show. At 84 hours everything gots to be original on it.

Tractor

You've probably already checked to make sure the starter drive isn't engaged against the flywheel and frozen there. If it is and the starter is seized it could cause your problem, I've seen it before.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old MF

Quote Originally Posted by zslnk
    Hi there,
    I purchased the contents of a barn on a property that I purchased. There was a Massey 135 with a full set of implements and a new 8hp Massey lawn tractor. The 135 has 84hr on it and the size of the trees that we had to clear to get it out confirm this. Still has the flashing down the center of the tires.

The bad news is that the engine is seized, 3 cyl gas Perkins. I have let it soak for a couple of days and tried to rock it in high gear, it won't budge. I have removed the head and the bores look great. I have done some gentle tapping of the pistons with a soft blow mallet on a piece of softwood to no avail. What's the next step?

Is there something up front in the timing gear that might lock it up? The clutch is free and the front crank pulley doesn't budge with a large pipe wrench.

Thanks a lot!
    If you haven't pulled the sheet metal off the front. Six bolts and the entire front hood comes off in one piece. Like Mike suggested, check the starter.

Tractor
    MF 1643

you can also use pb blaster, they sell it by the gallon also. pb blaster works wonders. It free'd anything I have used it on.
    david

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast