Timing A MF 135

/ Timing A MF 135
I've received my owners manual and am very happy with it. However, it doesn't show me where the timing marks are and I am confused with the discussion above. Sorry. What is the hole under the starter for? I can see the TDC and IGN marks on the engine but I don't know what to look for on the flywheel. I can't see a mark like you would see on an old car or a hole on the flywheel. Sorry for being dense on this.

/ Timing A MF 135 #12  
I've received my owners manual and am very happy with it. However, it doesn't show me where the timing marks are and I am confused with the discussion above. Sorry. What is the hole under the starter for? I can see the TDC and IGN marks on the engine but I don't know what to look for on the flywheel. I can't see a mark like you would see on an old car or a hole on the flywheel. Sorry for being dense on this.

I thought you bought the service manual too.

/ Timing A MF 135
Not yet. I will in the near future when the finances settle out from buying the tractor and Christmas.

/ Timing A MF 135 #14  
timing is set at 27%btdc point gap .021"

/ Timing A MF 135 #15  
ArcherXC said:
Not yet. I will in the near future when the finances settle out from buying the tractor and Christmas.

Do you have a dwell meter

/ Timing A MF 135
Yes I have a dwell meter. And I have all the data to time it. It just bothers me that I can't find timing marks to use my light. Plus I'm not sure the advance is working and I need the light to see if the timing changes with the RPMs. Thanks for all the help.

/ Timing A MF 135 #17  
I'm trying to help by searching the internet, and I came across a post by Big Dean and he said he always has to clean the flywheel on all the engines to see the timing marks. I wonder if a rag on a stick with someone bumping over the starter with the coil wire grounded would be a safe way to clean the flywheel so that maybe you can see the marks.

/ Timing A MF 135 #18  
Yes I have a dwell meter. And I have all the data to time it. It just bothers me that I can't find timing marks to use my light. Plus I'm not sure the advance is working and I need the light to see if the timing changes with the RPMs. Thanks for all the help.

There appears to be two sets of timing marks. There is a DC (dead center) and another reference mark on the left front at about 7 Oclock. There appear to be three marks in the inside of the crank pully wheel. Now let's reveal the timing marks in degrees. You remember the peep hole on the right side just below the starter. shine a light inside it. Take a 1 1/8" socket on a 1/2" drive and slowly rotate the crank with the belt off. When I see DC in the peep hole one of the marks on the crank pully is on DC or pretty close to it. Coincidence? Here's some pictures.

The second picture I wiped some orange paint so the reference mark is visible.

View attachment 292436 View attachment 292437 View attachment 292438 View attachment 292439

/ Timing A MF 135 #19  

Your advance is mechanical and non vacuum. The slinger weights have springs. The weights can get sticky with rust. The slinger weights are located under the mounting plate for the points.