MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole

/ MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole
Splitting a tractor will require several hydraulic jacks to keep it stable. One jack on wheels paralell with the rear wheels which will support the tranny and rearend. This end will be easier to roll away (two man job) . The front half is a bit tricky. Since the engine sits on a moving axle, you'll need two to three jacks to keep it vertical. I would place all load bearing on stationary jacks while working on it for safety. I don't subscribe to working under a car/tractor or what ever unless it's sitting on something solid. There is a systematic order to seperate that should be followed (shop manual). Just remember one end of the tractor is going to have to move away from the other. Roller jacks are a must. Stationary jacks to place after seperation for safety.

Thanks!
-Frank-

I've disassembled a few tractors. In addition to the usual roll around jacks, jack stands, cribbing, engine hoists, engine stands, etc, I use my 1-ton gantry crane a lot for this type of work. Harbor Freight--about $600 for the crane and the chain hoist.

View attachment 299095

Good luck.

Thanks!
-Frank-

/ MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole #23  
I'm brand new to this forum. There's a lot of good information and knowledge here. I am going to repair a transmission leak on a MF 135 (1967 Deluxe, 6-sp, Z-145). I assume that when I split the tractor I will find leakage from the input shaft seal. I"m pretty sure that I will also have to split the gearbox in order to slide the PTO driveshaft rearward so that I can remove the transmission input shaft (slide forward and out). I plan to replace both input and PTO shaft seals and all gaskets (and maybe the clutch, depending on its condition). I will be referencing a G&D service manual.
My questions:
  1. How far do I have to split the transmission in order to give enough clearance for the PTO shaft to push back and disengage from the input shaft?
  2. Is the removal & re-insertion of the PTO shaft fairly straight-forward or is there something I should know in advance?
  3. Does the PTO shaft and transmission housing reassemble easily?
  4. Are there any "gotcha"s" on seal installation that aren't covered in the manual?
  5. Any other tips?
I just want to be as prepared as possible in order to avoid mistakes and have no re-work when the tractor is fully re-assembled.
I need to get this tractor back to work.

No matter what the source of the fluid leak is (rear main crankshaft seal or transmission input shaft seal), you'll have to split the tractor at the engine/transmission interface.
I'm not that familiar with the MF135, but the best advice I can give you is to buy a MF Shop Manual for the tractor. (Don't waste your money on an IT Manual. It's not for inexperienced tractor mechanics.)It will save you time, money, and grief and pay for itself the first ime you make a repair.

No matter what the source of the fluid leak is (rear main crankshaft seal or transmission input shaft seal), you'll have to split the tractor at the engine/transmission interface.
I'm not that familiar with the MF135, but the best advice I can give you is to buy a MF Shop Manual for the tractor. (Don't waste your money on an IT Manual. It's not for inexperienced tractor mechanics.)It will save you time, money, and grief and pay for itself the first ime you make a repair.
I've taken your advice: I now have the Jensales Service Manual, the Jensales Parts Book, and also the MF-135 & MF-148 Service Manual (.PDF format on CD from ebay). The MF135/148 Service Manual appears to be written for the UK, but it appears to hold its own to the Jensales and is bargain at $9.79 (w/shipping). It has some very good pictures and drawings! I also have the I&T (came with tractor) Thanks!

/ MF 135 Transmission Leaks Clear Fluid from Weep Hole #25  
I've taken your advice: I now have the Jensales Service Manual, the Jensales Parts Book, and also the MF-135 & MF-148 Service Manual (.PDF format on CD from ebay). The MF135/148 Service Manual appears to be written for the UK, but it appears to hold its own to the Jensales and is bargain at $9.79 (w/shipping). It has some very good pictures and drawings! I also have the I&T (came with tractor) Thanks!

In my experience, the manuals offered by AGCO are far superior (and cheaper) to those offered by Jensales. In addition, the parts books for the Massey 135 tractor can be viewed online for free at AGCO Parts Books

For more information about my past experience with the Jensales manuals, see the links to my TBN posts about it below.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...y-1966-massey-135-tractor-12.html#post2862976

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...y-1966-massey-135-tractor-14.html#post2880974