TO-30 fuel sediment bowl (TO-9165) - need new valve stem and seals

/ TO-30 fuel sediment bowl (TO-9165) - need new valve stem and seals #1  

dbotos

Silver Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO-30, Kioti LB1914
Was cleaning this thing up and in the process of reading the manual, I realized the square portion of the valve stem and the knob that goes on there are gone. So I put the end of the stem in the vise and unscrewed it from the casting. The seals are looking pretty crumbly. And obviously the stem is not all there. Any hope of finding these as replacement parts? The die cast housing has TO-9165 cast into it and "HF" in a rectangle with chamfered corners (assuming this is a Harry Ferguson logo).

Attachments

• TO-9165_sediment_bowl_valve_stem.jpg
    TO-9165_sediment_bowl_valve_stem.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 493
  • fuel_sediment_bowl_x_sec.png
    fuel_sediment_bowl_x_sec.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 511
  • TO-9165_sediment_bowl.jpg
    TO-9165_sediment_bowl.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 430
   / TO-30 fuel sediment bowl (TO-9165) - need new valve stem and seals #2  
Isn't there a screen that stands up inside the tank that acts as a fuel filter? You can still buy this entire cutoff valve new and looks just like yours. The short tube is the reserve I believe when you open the valve all the way. I just put one of those on my 135. Bought it on eBay. -kid

/ TO-30 fuel sediment bowl (TO-9165) - need new valve stem and seals #3  
   / TO-30 fuel sediment bowl (TO-9165) - need new valve stem and seals #5  
Finding an original may be a tough task. mine has rubber gasket.

Last edited:
   / TO-30 fuel sediment bowl (TO-9165) - need new valve stem and seals
I figured it'd be a long shot being so old (mine had the rubber gasket too). In the meantime, I rigged up an inline shutoff and filter. The piece of hardline I had purchased was a 20" length, which got it about half way under the battery. I just bent it gently by hand (one jog to avoid the exhaust elbow and then a 90-degree bend to go under the battery). I also completely drained the gas tank this afternoon before I put it back on. Used a coffee filter in a funnel and caught some little bits of junk, but the real kicker was the dead stink bug that came out of there!

I'm stoked to have the tractor all back together and running again (took it for a victory lap in the driveway/street tonight after adjusting idle speed). I bought the tractor in mid-February and discovered the cracked manifold maybe a week later (ordered new manifold 2-24-13) and started pulling things apart mid-March (have a picture from 3-22-13 with gas tank removed). Nothing really took that long to do, but powdercoating and rebuilding the carb did take a little time cause I was trying to clean everything up real well and make sure I had everything right while it was apart. Most of it was just me procrastinating and other things getting in the way. Now I can work on grading the driveway some more. :D

Attachments

• homebrew_fuel_valve_and_filter_setup.jpg
    homebrew_fuel_valve_and_filter_setup.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 408
   / TO-30 fuel sediment bowl (TO-9165) - need new valve stem and seals #7  
Good job improvising.

/ TO-30 fuel sediment bowl (TO-9165) - need new valve stem and seals
Thanks. I'm hoping I can fix the sediment bowl at some point by machining a new stem and finding the right seals - I just didn't want that to hold up getting the tractor back together. But we all know how a temporary solution can sometimes become a semi-permanent solution... :bandaid: