GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics.

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #111  
I would suggest you let them take a reasonable amount of time, and don't push them. But, you should never actually say to service people it's okay to "take their time".

Of course, we love it when customers say that, but it is not a good idea for them to do so. If you do, and they get busy :eek:. When two customers are screaming they need theirs, and a third one, (you), said, "take your time", you have given them license to put you on the back burner. And boy, does this happen a lot. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Dropping something off, and never following up on it, eventually, has the same effect as saying your not in a hurry. Checking every two weeks or so, either in person, (my recommendation), or by phone, and asking, "how things are going?" will gently remind them you expect some progress, and keep your project on the schedule.

I would think this would be a good time of the year to get this repair done. Is this not a slower time of the year for a tractor service center? I don't spend any time in mine, so I really don't know.

This can be a good thing sometimes though. When I had my flag pole built, I gave them license to take as long as needed so that it didn't hold up other orders. It took them two years to get it done. As a result, no charge was the final billing. Their decision, not mine. Saved me around $1K and I really wasn't in any hurry.

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #112  
The estimate said 40 hrs labor so after they have the parts by Wednesday, I figure 1 1/2 wks is plenty of time to finish the job

I think you probably should expect it to take longer than that.

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #113  
This can be a good thing sometimes though. When I had my flag pole built, I gave them license to take as long as needed so that it didn't hold up other orders. It took them two years to get it done. As a result, no charge was the final billing. Their decision, not mine. Saved me around $1K and I really wasn't in any hurry.

LOL, I would probably feel guilty enough to give it to you too, if I took that long.

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #115  
I decided to take a couple photos of the parking brake latch mechanism both partially and fully engaged. I also took pics of the parking break lever in the partially and fully engaged positions. The latch photos were taken through the cutout in the left side floorboard and demonstrate a couple things. First to show is it quite easy to take a quick look at the latch when getting off the tractor. This allows a visual confirmation of proper brake engagement. Second to demonstrate the position of the handle is not a good indicator of engagement.

The first and third attachments are the brake partially engaged. In this position the brake is prone to slip off the rounded edge of the tooth and disengage. The second and fourth attached pics are the brake fully engaged. In this position there is no chance of the brake disengaging as the geometry of the teeth require the brake pedal be further depressed to release the latch.

I am in the habit of visually checking the brake engagement as I get off the tractor. It does not take any extra time to look through the cutout and then you have piece of mind is brake is not going to release unintentionally.

Attachments

• Latch partial.jpg
    Latch partial.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 245
  • Latch fully.jpg
    Latch fully.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 243
  • Lever Partial engage.jpg
    Lever Partial engage.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 152
  • Lever Fully engage.jpg
    Lever Fully engage.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 146
   / GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #116  
I decided to take a couple photos of the parking brake latch mechanism both partially and fully engaged. I also took pics of the parking break lever in the partially and fully engaged positions. The latch photos were taken through the cutout in the left side floorboard and demonstrate a couple things. First to show is it quite easy to take a quick look at the latch when getting off the tractor. This allows a visual confirmation of proper brake engagement. Second to demonstrate the position of the handle is not a good indicator of engagement.

The first and third attachments are the brake partially engaged. In this position the brake is prone to slip off the rounded edge of the tooth and disengage. The second and fourth attached pics are the brake fully engaged. In this position there is no chance of the brake disengaging as the geometry of the teeth require the brake pedal be further depressed to release the latch.

I am in the habit of visually checking the brake engagement as I get off the tractor. It does not take any extra time to look through the cutout and then you have piece of mind is brake is not going to release unintentionally.

Hey tsteahr, Great job you did with your post and pictures, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. The pictures really show what type of engineering MF copied from someones gocart parking brake, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:. Maybe MF can supply a boat anchor to be used when the tractor is parked on a slope :D? KC

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #117  
I have to admit that is a pretty lame attempt at a parking brake.

Those pictures alone should prompt a recall.

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #118  
Hey, tsteahr-- great pics! My 2310 is a bit different in the engaging movements required, but I'll be checking the mechanism under the floor; it's probably very similar if not identical. Thanks!!:thumbsup:

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #119  

You keep trying to convince yourself...you may be in for a shock...what appears to be mechanically impossible has happened on mine on more than one occaision.

/ GC parking brake popped out! Damage pics. #120  
I just got a "dealer experience" checklist in the mail from AGCO reguarding my experience from start to finish.
There was a paper asking how they could improve there products or dealer experiences, so I let them know about this issue and the website so they can see for themselves this is a problem that needs addressed. I also told them how the dealer has been through this whole ordeal. I am now happy that I bought from them.

The dealer called me today to tell me all the parts have been ordered and should arrive by Wednesday next week. The work should be done by the following Saturday:thumbsup:! I told them that I want ALL the old parts back, they said no problem. The insurance company went and took pics and the dealers estimate, they are sending me a check for the whole deal. I made them aware of the problem with the brake and this website so if they want, they can do whatever they need to get there money back.

I have a question, if anyone knows. The fuel pump was hit by the hood only, no dent in the pump, just red paint scratched across it. The tractor starts and runs fine. Could it be damaged internally from the jar of the wreck that may not show up until used for a while?:confused:

Just got my survey today and I will also add the parking break. If there is no dent in the pump, I wouldn't focus on it but definately get it documented.