1736 Filter Location

/ 1736 Filter Location #1  

bacononeactual

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 770; LS G3038H
I am ready to do the first hydro/transmission fluid change on my 1736. I found the location of the vertical canister filter and have a replacement fliter and 9 gallons of the permatran 821xl ready to go. I have not been able to find the location of the screen that needs to be cleaned, and the manual is not very helpful. Where is that screen located?

Also, the guy at the dealership told me I didn't need to clean that metal internal screen the first time, rather just do it every otyer change. Does that sound ok to you?

/ 1736 Filter Location #2  
If I recall correctly the filter is on the left side of the tractor. I took off the step for easier access to the area. There is a semi circular cut out on the loader sub frame member directly in front of it. I will snap a pic in the am if you need. I changed the suction filter during my first tranny service. The old suction filter was replaced by a new part. The new filter seemed significantly more substantial than the older part. I'm glad I changed the part. The new filter seems like it will be much easier to clean with out damaging it.

/ 1736 Filter Location
Thanks. I'll take a look and let you know if I can see it based on your directions.

/ 1736 Filter Location
I found it, thanks. Horizontal rather than vertical.

/ 1736 Filter Location #5  
There are two metal filters... At least, there were two in my 1648 & 1652. Check my threads, I prayed about it in the past

/ 1736 Filter Location #6  
I wonder if there is only one in the shuttle shift tractors and two in the hydro models.

/ 1736 Filter Location
On my hydro there is one canister type filter in a vertical orientation. There's also apparently another screen type reusable suction filter in a vertical orientation. The manual does not properly depict the location of either (at least on the hydro) and is basically wothless for this task as far as I can tell.

/ 1736 Filter Location
Changed the hydro fluid today. Dealer said just to change the screw on filter and not to worry about the metal screen filter inside the tractor. He said that they only clean out the metal screen every other change. I did both anyway and was glad that I did. The metal screen had a fair bit of crap on it. I'll probably buy a new metal screen next time even though they are supposed to be replaceable as it was a pain to clean.

/ 1736 Filter Location #9  
Power shuttle have a filter. HST have a filter and a screen. Screen doesn't have to be cleaned or checked for 500 hours - if it makes you feel better you can check it on the very first time just to make sure an assembler didn't accidently drop something in there while the tractor was being built.

/ 1736 Filter Location #10  
ErikVann, would you please post a pic of the location of the suction filter? I've been having trouble with my hydraulics squealing. I changed the fluid and main vertical filter at 50 hours and now I have 160 hours on my 1736. I didn't change the suction filter. I am starting to wonder if the screen is getting plugged on the suction filter. It started squealing about 25 hours ago. It worked fine after the fluid change. I was starting to think maybe it was the Tractor Supply Travellers fluid that is causing the squealing problem but now I am thinking it is the screen getting plugged up. I called the dealer and he suggested that I make sure the 3-point lever isn't all the way up because it would cause another demand on the pump. I tried that but it didn't help. Any thoughts?