Starting Problem with an MTD - Help!

/ Starting Problem with an MTD - Help! #12  
Adjusting Overhead Valves

1. Release the brake spring. Then, turn the flywheel to close both valves.
  2. Insert a narrow screwdriver into the spark plug hole and touch the piston. Turn the flywheel clockwise past top dead center until the piston has moved down 1/4". Use the screwdriver to gauge the piston's range of motion (image F)
    . PLEASE NOTE: This procedure must be performed for each cylinder on V-Twin engines.
  3. Check the valve clearance by placing a feeler gauge between the valve head and the rocker arm (image G)
    . Clearances differ for the two valves and typically range from .002 - .004" to .005 - .007". Valve clearance specifications for your engine series are available by viewing our Engine Specifications Chart (PDF).
  4. Adjust the clearances as required by turning the rocker screw. Once adjustments are completed, tighten the rocker nut.
  5. Install the valve cover, using new gaskets, as required, and make sure the cover is secure.

Believe it or not this is the cause of most "wont crank" but the battery, starter,connections and starter solenoid are good problems on these OHV Briggs engines.. Took me a while to find this on the internet, after I had replaced batterys and starters and Starter solenoid. This condition can also damage your starter solenoid, but drawing excessive current, masking the problem, you replace the solenoid, and it may start, but after a while burns the contacts of your new solenoid. I still have a brand new starter in the styrofoam packing that was on the engine for 10 minutes to try it. Of course it did not fix the problem, and they dont't take electrical goods back at the store.. Yes valves out of adjustment will cause the engine to not crank, or partially crank and stop at TDC, as the compression release mechanism does not work right with the valves out of adjustment. The starter and battery are not sized to crank the engine with the compression release mechanism not working properly. It may start on a new or freshly charged battery, but it will be a "barely cranked" and just barely started situation.. Also the settings do not always hold from year to year and you may have to do it again. This has been my findings about these engines. Others feel free to jump in..

James K0UA

/ Starting Problem with an MTD - Help!
I'm not sure why you took the valve cover off and I'm not sure what problems you are currently having. If you are draining the crankcase oil from the engine through the valve cover (now off and rear tires elevated) you did so incorrectly and probably allowed oil to enter the cylinder past the piston. Oil in the cylinder will cause the compression to increase substantially and maybe not start from the battery. Oil in the cylinder/piston ring grooves will cause the engine to smoke for 20-30 minutes. The way to properly change the oil is through the base plug or valve spigot attached to the crankcase.

Hi Zork and All...

UPDATE: I got it working....

I did mentioned in my Thread @ 02-20-2012, 07:44 PM

" What I did is I Lifted the Tractor from the Back and Put it on Two Cinder Blocks, one on each wheel. I let the Oil Drip a bit and Started the Engine and BAM... It starts up right away. "

Anyway, to answer your question, Zork...

I took the Valve Cover off just to see... I got the MTD for cheap $125.00... What I got to lose right? LOL. But I'm GLAD I took the Valve Cover Off... I saw Gummy / Black Oil coming out like Crazy... And I also learned something.... It was more like a Curious thing LOL... Anyway... Like I said I'm Glad I did cause Gummy Dirty Oil was leaking out... So I started the Engine and the Engine FIRED right up....

So that gave me an Idea... Drain all the OIL.... That's when I lifted the MTD from the Back with the help of the Cinder Blocks and Drain everything, including the Oil Plug and the Filter... Once that was done, I start the Engine, without Oil, LOL... Just a quick test....Still Good/Start... I put good Oil in and started the Engine and it worked right away, FIRED up quickly and SMOOTHLY....

Anyway, I want to CLOSE this Thread.... I got it working since 02-20-2012, 07:44 PM...

BIG THANK YOU TO ZORK AND ALL.....

:D

P.S. I did watch this Vid, but I didn't have to Adjust it... Maybe someday...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYbSKN4CxI[/ame]

:D

Last edited: