tc35 vs tc40

/ tc35 vs tc40 #1  

griz

Tractor
Case DX 40 8/1/03
Hello everyone, Yesterday, I went to the NH dealer and drove the tc35 and tc40. Loved them both (and most everyother tractor I have driven). This will be my first tractor. Somewhere I read someone mentioning that the 35 might be too underpowered for the size of the tractor. I drove them and couldn't really tell the difference. I figure if there is such a thing you probably can't tell unless you are pulling or using an implement. I was wondering if any of you 35 owners have noticed anything? I will be doing alot of loader work, along with box blades, bush hogs and maybe bh. Also, so far the price difference between the two is about $1500. Is the 4cyl. worth it? Thank you.

/ tc35 vs tc40 #2  
griz: The tc35 shouldn't be "underpowered". Just purchased a TC40 myself a couple months ago (to replace a 50 year old Farmall with 23hp). I didn't consider the TC35 because I wanted a 2 liter engine size and am running a BH as well as FEL.

Remember, 50 years ago 20hp tractors were doing a lot of useful work. The TC35 will certainly do the work as it has the heavier chassis of the TC40/TC45. The TC40 gets around .6 - .7 GPH by actual measurement (pushing 100 hrs).

My advice? If you can do it without going hungry get the TC40. If you are going hydrostat trans (ugh) get the TC40. Otherwise, the TC35 is fine. You will probably spin the wheels before you run out of power with either one.

JEH

/ tc35 vs tc40 #3  
Griz, I wouldn't say the TC35 is underpowered, but the TC40 provides a big step in FEL and 3PH lift capability. If you want justification for the $1,500, you could work in percentages. You get over 10% gain in FEL & 3PH lift, horsepower, and number of cylinders for less than 10% in price. As John mentioned, you will also like the extra HP if you go with the "D" model hydrostatic tranny. You didn't mention that model, so I'm assuming you looked at geared transmissions. Only you know how you will be using the tractor and how much power you will really need. If you need the power, $1,500 will seem pretty small over the life of the tractor. If you don't need the power, $1,500 can buy some nice attachments. Your current needs and long-term plans should be your "decision-makers."

/ tc35 vs tc40
Thanks for the response. If I go NH I been pushing towards the tc40. I think it would be more sutible in the long term.

/ tc35 vs tc40 #5  
Having just sold a more powerful tractor and dropping down to a less powerful one by about 10 HP or so, I have no second thoughts about it, power is just not an issue. The new tractor has 3 cylinders which is not only not an issue, seems to be even smoother then my 4 cylinder which was already very smooth. I agree with Jim about the loader. If the difference is only $1500, that extra lift could easily justify the cost. I'm not sure why NH derates the same loader other then hydraulic operating pressure for the two tractors. I'm sure they have good reason though. If NH was a tractor I was looking at, it would be either the 35D ot 40D, I like those models a lot. Rat...

/ tc35 vs tc40 #6  
With Griz saying he would be doing mostly loader work and getting a backhoe, he might want to consider the extra capability of the hydraulic settings on the larger tractor. Other than that, I haven't heard any complaints from the folks on this forum who own a TC35.

/ tc35 vs tc40 #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I haven't heard any complaints from the folks on this forum who own a TC35 )</font>

How true....

It seems there are more complaints about too small frame size or too light weight (i.e., Class I, II, or III) than there are complaints about horsepower WITHIN those frame/weight classes.

Mark

/ tc35 vs tc40 #8  
Jim, do you know why the TC35 has less loader ability with the same loader? Is it simply a lower pressure relief on the hydraulics? While I never got to run a TC 40 around, I did use a TC 45D and the TC35D. You really gotta check those numbers to know what your sitting on. Thanks Rat

/ tc35 vs tc40 #9  
If I understand correctly, RaT, the only difference is the setting of adjustable relief valves. I haven't looked anything up for sure in my repair and parts manuals, but I'd bet the valves have the same part number for all the Class III tractors. Whether it's a marketing issue or there is a specific engineering reason, I don't really know.

/ tc35 vs tc40 #10  
The valve part numbers are identical when we order them!