tc35 vs tc40

/ tc35 vs tc40 #21  
RaT, you're far too kind with your comments on my posts. If there's anyone who can dig out every detail, it's you. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

There are so many things that go into the noise an engine makes that I am totally baffled at how and why some tractors make so much noise and others don't. I suspect it's far more than the engine. Probably, it relates to dampers around platform panels, piping, and how well the engine is surrounded by the hood. I even thin New Holland's down-turned side exhaust might make the Boomers seem quieter. One thing for sure; the current "war" between GM, Ford, and Dodge/Cummins for quiet diesels is really interesting. It's getting where an old guy like me has to listen really closely to tell when a diesel pulls up beside me at a stoplight. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ tc35 vs tc40 #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the current "war" between GM, Ford, and Dodge/Cummins for quiet diesels is really interesting )</font>

If you want a quiet and fast diesel, check out VWs TDI - it performs almost as well as the gas engine, no soot/black smoke, quiet and smooth. Oh, and 49mpg isn't so bad either /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mark

PS Just to throw in with the others: When I was researching tractors last year, I found I relied on (and respected) your comments on all things 'Class III." Thanks for all you have done....especially the photo-essay on removing the loader /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ tc35 vs tc40 #23  
It is my understanding that 35s have a different front axle than 40s and 45s. Also because all class 3 tractors have very good hydraulic flows it makes sense to reduce the pressure on the lower hp model. It takes hp to make flow and pressure, to be exact is is flow (GPM) times pressure (PSI) divided by 1714 to determine HP required.

35s 9.8 GPM X 2275 PSI/ 1714= 13 hp

40/45s 9.8 GPM X 2500 PSI/ 1714= 14.29 hp

Of course the only time it takes this amount of power is when you encounter a heavy hydraulic load, or bottom out a hydraulic cylinder. When you are crowding into a pile, this is a way to make a smaller hp tractor still have good lift speed without lugging down the engine as quick.

Keep in mind that unless you are doing pallet fork work you still have plenty of lift power for the 72" bucket.

Hope this helps.

/ tc35 vs tc40 #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 35s 9.8 GPM X 2275 PSI/ 1714= 13 hp

40/45s 9.8 GPM X 2500 PSI/ 1714= 14.29 hp )</font>

Rick, thanks for the flow/pressure/hp formulas. That is really good to know. On the TC35 axle, my parts book shows some different mounting hardware and assemblies related to the supersteer front axle, but the actual axle seems to be the same. I think the 3-cyl engine's dimensions make it necessary to have slightly different routing of hydraulic lines also. The major axle and drive components seem to be the same between all three Class III tractors. There is a special section in my parts book for the TC40/45Ds and I believe it only shows the additional parts required for the different engines' dimensions. The axle, gears, and casing seem to be the same, but all the mounting parts are not interchangeable between tractor models.

/ tc35 vs tc40 #26  
Griz, not sure if you have everything you need on this subject but I thought I may chime in since I just went through (in April) what it appears you are going through. I concluded that the TC35 (and still agree) will more than suffice. I purchased the TC35 with a L16A loader (1800lb cap) - HD bucket. I also put two sets of wheel weights on each wheel. I have ~20 hrs on the beast so far with MOST of this time being loader work (gravel and top soil). I can tell you with certainty that there are NO power issues with this tractor. She will spin the wheels and lift the back end up before she quits or fails to lift her load. I have used the rear differential many times and I am quite pleased with the tractor's performance. Would I have liked to have the TC40, absolutely... BUT, do I really think I'm finding any reasons why I should have purchased the TC40, NO! I have 22 acres, back blade, rear rake, loader, rototiller, and will soon be extensively bush hogging.... I also grabbed the PHD. The TC35 has performed flawlessly thus far. The only gripe I have is that the shifting is a bit stiff still. I'm confident that will change.

As for who else I looked closely at... I closely looked at a JD 4310, Kioti DK35, and the whole range of similar Kubotas... The JD dealer was slow to respond and the prices weren't competitive enough (I also didn't want all the fancy circuitry because it represented one more potential problem). The Kubotas were not presented as cost competitvely (the dealer was greedy and when he finally was getting in the ball park, it was too late)... The Kioti was a very good tractor but I said no because I really liked the NH service guys better.

Long and the short of it... When I compared the TC35 to the TC40, I couldn't justify the price jump and am STILL satisfied with my decision.

/ tc35 vs tc40 #27  
Has the lifting capacity been the same over the life of the TC35? Some persons have complained about the TC35 fan blades rubbing the shroud while using the loader. With the shorter block and the need for an "extension" to get the fan to a standard Class III shroud location, has New Holland de-rated the loading to help prevent torsion or some other mechanism that causes the fan blades to rub the shroud. Just a thought.

BTW, I have a TC40 with a 16LA loader. I use the loader extensively and have never experienced any fan blades rubbing the shroud.

/ tc35 vs tc40 #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a TC40 with a 16LA loader. I use the loader extensively and have never experienced any fan blades rubbing the shroud )</font>

I have a TC40D and mine has rubbed, mostly left side. I read somewhere that it happens to the grey-colored chassis (older) and not the black-colored chassis (newer). Mine is grey.

Mark

/ tc35 vs tc40 #29  
Buckeye, not sure it matters at this point but I have 30+ hrs at this point and have not experienced any kind of fan blades rubbing the shroud...

Actually, when I read your post, it reminded me of my old 8N with a plow on the front... It would do just that... the fan blade would rub against the shroud when I was doing various forms of work...

I would know it if it were happening w/my TC35.... She's been very good thus far.

/ tc35 vs tc40 #30  
Glad to hear everything is going well! The problem seems to be sporadic. It would be interesting to hear what New Holland has to say abut this. So far with 80+ hours, almost 1/2 that with the loader, I have had no problems.